Author Topic: Film for review  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Allen Rune

• Copper Member
Film for review
« on: February 03, 2009, 09:49:07 PM »
http://www.esnips.com/doc/938057d1-4605-4a40-88b0-fb06123893d2/The-Lone-One

I just took on the flight of spits in the mission Ranger made for me, and would like some tips.

I know I was dead in at least one place there and I see where I made my mistake, but I would like some inpute from you fellas as to what I should have done instead.
The Screwed One

"And so it begins, may it never end."

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Re: Film for review
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 10:14:55 PM »
I tried, but got a "broken Link" message...
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline DustyR

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 06:54:00 AM »
I got a broken link message  :(
Coal Country WV -- Home of the free ** because of the brave.

Offline Allen Rune

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 08:37:36 AM »
The Screwed One

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 09:11:43 AM »
The offline AI does not have the same physics constraints as an airplane flown by a human.  They're fine for practicing gunnery, but otherwise it's a totally different ball game.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Allen Rune

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 12:13:36 PM »
They actualy do have energy restraints, and energy is what my mistake was about.
The Screwed One

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 01:21:25 PM »
The offline AI does not have the same physics constraints as an airplane flown by a human.  They're fine for practicing gunnery.....

offline AI does not know how to slam the stick into random opposite corners in a frenetic fashion though...
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Allen Rune

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 03:01:16 PM »
Forgive me for being impatient, but I posted this film for tips on flying, not to discuss the AI.
The Screwed One

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 05:23:12 PM »
I think thats what they are saying. The AI doesn't react properly there for you don't react properly. So they can't review what was what due to all of the inconsistencys.

Offline Allen Rune

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 06:21:32 PM »
I think thats what they are saying. The AI doesn't react properly there for you don't react properly. So they can't review what was what due to all of the inconsistencys.

Just another complete waste of time then...
The Screwed One

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 12:08:11 AM »
AI planes can fly faster, pull 20-30Gs, and never run out of E. They don't "fly" -- they just follow paths in the sky. If those paths were attempted by any pilot-flown plane, that pilot would never in any case be able to follow the waypoints.

So, in short: You were screwed even attempting to outfly the AI. They cheat.

Record some against real pilots and we'll give all the feedback you can handle (and probably THEN some!!), but against the AI it's not worth anybody's time because they don't "fly," they just "move."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 01:39:09 AM »
It is not quite that bad. The AI can be out-turned, out-zoomed, etc, and its limitations plainly change depending on what kind of plane you assign it. The AI can't make a 190 turn like a Spit or make a Jug out-climb a K4.

I'm not saying the AI doesn't have some sort of edge plane for plane (which it NEEDs because its dumber than a post in alot of ways), I'm just saying HTC has done a very good job with the AIs, they haven't handed us complete UFOs.

AI planes can fly faster, pull 20-30Gs, and never run out of E. They don't "fly" -- they just follow paths in the sky. If those paths were attempted by any pilot-flown plane, that pilot would never in any case be able to follow the waypoints.

So, in short: You were screwed even attempting to outfly the AI. They cheat.

Record some against real pilots and we'll give all the feedback you can handle (and probably THEN some!!), but against the AI it's not worth anybody's time because they don't "fly," they just "move."
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Allen Rune

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 07:52:36 AM »
So, in short: You were screwed even attempting to outfly the AI.

Record some against real pilots and we'll give all the feedback you can handle (and probably THEN some!!)

Right...

Well it's too late now, my subscription ran out and I don't have the faintest idea when I'm going to be getting my money.

I was screwed anyway.
The Screwed One

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 09:38:58 PM »
It is not quite that bad. The AI can be out-turned, out-zoomed, etc

Perhaps you haven't really explored it much?

I had a D3A Val out-turning, and out-looping my C205 for a good 5-7 minutes. It did about 10x perfectly vertical loops at about 250mph without ever slowing down. I was riding the blackout just to have it in my forward view, just trying to keep up with it.

C205, mind you, is about 100mph faster than the Val, climbs almost 4000fpm at sea level, and accelerates like a 109.

Yes, it IS that bad.

EDIT: Or try flying formation on the AI Fw190A5s as they fly at speeds so slow you can't match them without full flaps and reduced throttle, but they're cruising along nicely. Flight forces don't exist for AI, they just "move," they don't "fly."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 10:38:14 PM »
I've made missions with quite a few plane match-ups, played with it extensively, and it more or less matches up with what one would expect. To the point to where you can win fights against an AI controlled airplane with a superior turn radius but inferior turn rate by forcing nose-to-tail turning, and vis versa. I don't know how much turn-rate or thrust X plane flown by the AI has to work with, but it varies from plane to plane and is far from infinite.

The Val has an extremely light wingloading. For all I know, the modeling goes abit whacky with a few planes for all I know. But for most, the plane vs. plane performance against the AI seems pretty normal.

EDIT: I just realized you might be talking about some issues with friendly AIs, instead of vs. situations with hostile AIs. Might change things for all I know, but 1v1, I stand by my statement that the AI's advantage is far from infinite.

Perhaps you haven't really explored it much?

I had a D3A Val out-turning, and out-looping my C205 for a good 5-7 minutes. It did about 10x perfectly vertical loops at about 250mph without ever slowing down. I was riding the blackout just to have it in my forward view, just trying to keep up with it.

C205, mind you, is about 100mph faster than the Val, climbs almost 4000fpm at sea level, and accelerates like a 109.

Yes, it IS that bad.

EDIT: Or try flying formation on the AI Fw190A5s as they fly at speeds so slow you can't match them without full flaps and reduced throttle, but they're cruising along nicely. Flight forces don't exist for AI, they just "move," they don't "fly."
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 11:02:27 PM by BnZs »