Author Topic: Youre Thoughts U.S.A  (Read 2764 times)

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
Re: Youre Thoughts U.S.A
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2009, 04:19:54 AM »
The F-16 started the fly by wire thingy IIRC, and btw all aircraft nowadays require laptops to diagnose the problems. Hell even cars do !
now posting as SirNuke

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2009, 04:52:10 AM »
this is the actual unit which tracked the B2, the latest Rapier is a very effective system:

and heres it is :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 05:21:05 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2009, 09:02:19 AM »
this is the actual unit which tracked the B2, the latest Rapier is a very effective system:
(Image removed from quote.)

and heres it is :)
LOL...that's simply a close range IR optical tracker.  It could also easily track that man in the suit walking but it doesn't mean it would be tactically effective by itself or at long range.  IR like that is great when you can slave it to something like a radar track.  Otherwise it's like searching the skies looking through a soda straw. 
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2009, 09:17:33 AM »
err yeah, the rapier radar is now on a separate trailer, optical on the main unit, and yes of course they are integrated. I know it was at 1 mile range and low, but the atmospherics were far from ideal (note photo: a typical English summers day ;)) and of all the systems there it was the only one to get any track.

B2s have been tracked by RN radar as well, last gen radar, last gen stealth. Cant help feeling that the best sensors are only a little way behind the stealth. However pilots report the raptor as "irritating" because even when you can see it up close through the canopy, the weapons still cant maintain lock on the slippery sob. grrrr!
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2009, 09:22:26 AM »
My latest Jeep, on Fire Island about two weeks after purchase. No mods yet, other than adding the 1950's 4 Wheel Drive decals to the sides and back. The Goodyears on it in the photo are back on it now. Much better in snow that the BFG Mud/Terrains, which will go back on in the spring. The BFGs are mounted on Cragar 17"x7.5" steel wheels (black powder coat). Steel is better for harsh off-road conditions. Aluminum wheels often crack when really pounded. Steel wheels are $80, the mags run over $200.

My regards,

Widewing

My friend has one for his ranch, GREAT Jeep... This past weekend, we were screwing around with some rednecks, (he owns a very large rock quarry, so there's piles of rocks on teach side of the road) and we climbed this hill, and went through mud like nothing... This big ol' 250 behind us got stuck, and we had to pull 'em out.

No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline rstel01

• Copper Member
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2009, 08:16:19 AM »
My latest Jeep, on Fire Island about two weeks after purchase. No mods yet, other than adding the 1950's 4 Wheel Drive decals to the sides and back. The Goodyears on it in the photo are back on it now. Much better in snow that the BFG Mud/Terrains, which will go back on in the spring. The BFGs are mounted on Cragar 17"x7.5" steel wheels (black powder coat). Steel is better for harsh off-road conditions. Aluminum wheels often crack when really pounded. Steel wheels are $80, the mags run over $200.

My regards,

Widewing

(sorry for Hi-Jacking the thread)

Do you frequent the JK Forums? (http://jk-forum.com/index.php)

If you are not a member, you should join and check out the East Coast section for rides and Jeep get togthers

We wheel all over the Mid-Atlantic and have a ride set up to Rausch Creek in PA this weekend.

Here is my JK from one of our last get outings at RC

Although a little long from the Island, George Washington National Forest in VA is a big one for our Jeep wheeling adventures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jnrstel/GWNF1108081?authkey=qyOpRiqekVg#slideshow/5267033431013446178
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:18:25 AM by rstel01 »

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2009, 09:28:45 PM »
(sorry for Hi-Jacking the thread)

Do you frequent the JK Forums? (http://jk-forum.com/index.php)

If you are not a member, you should join and check out the East Coast section for rides and Jeep get togthers

We wheel all over the Mid-Atlantic and have a ride set up to Rausch Creek in PA this weekend.

Here is my JK from one of our last get outings at RC (Image removed from quote.)

Although a little long from the Island, George Washington National Forest in VA is a big one for our Jeep wheeling adventures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jnrstel/GWNF1108081?authkey=qyOpRiqekVg#slideshow/5267033431013446178

We were trail running with some friends in the Lehighton/Jim Thrope (PA) area back in October. Muddy as hell too. Spent two hours cleaning it afterward.

Yep, I'm a member of the JK-forum. I'm also a member of MilitaryJeepers.com and several others. MilitaryJeepers is for active duty and veterans who own Jeeps of any kind. Nice group of users.

One thing I noticed on the JK-Forum is that there are so many Jeep owners who don't know the difference between their dipstick and a tire iron. Completely, utterly devoid of mechanical knowledge. Did you see the post where a guy thought he had termites in his fiberglass top?

Then you have the knuckleheads who figure the solution to all problems is to air down their tires. One unbelievable character insisted that airing down to 2 psi was ideal from driving on snow covered trails. 2 psi??!! He's got a 3,500 lb vehicle, and 2 psi is simply flat... Great way to completely destroy the tires. Some of those guys make Forrest Gump look like a Harvard graduate. "Stupid is as stupid does, sir"

Reminds me of a guy here on Long Island. He spent over 6 grand modding the hell out of his '07 Unlimited. 4" Teraflex lift, 37" Procomps on 16" wheels and more armor than a Bradley Fighting Vehicle. Two of us had to pull him out of the sand when he buried it up to the frame rails... Those Procomps moved more sand than a backhoe... Problem was, he didn't go forward; he went straight down. He had never driven on the beach before. I have doubts he had ever been off road prior to that day. We coached him on beach driving and had him turn traction control back on as he couldn't seem to avoid spinning the wheels like mad. He managed not to get buried again..

I looked at your photos and those from the Virginia group. Nice bunch of common-sense Jeepers enjoying themselves. Is that nice looking Red X yours? Seeing that stock Yellow X S24 running with the Rubicons was interesting. Considering that they still had the Goodyear SR-A rubber, they did very well.

SR-As are much better than many guys with heavily modded Jeeps will readily admit. They are certainly better in snow than any M/T tire. Self cleaning lugs are not what you want. Nothing sticks better to snow than snow. M/Ts throw snow everywhere but don't bite. The SR-As load up with snow and bite well. That is why my BFGs are in the garage and the SR-As on the Jeep for the winter. Traction control isn't much help if there's no traction to control.  ;)

Then again, a surprising number of JK drivers switch off the ESP and traction control when it snows. This, I believe, is due to really bad advice from other Jeep owners. ESP and traction control were incorporated precisely for those types of conditions.

That's why I tell people to be careful with what they read on Jeep forums. There's as much bad info as good. One TJ owner stated that Brake Lock Differentials were just a gimmick.. The fact that a JK X model will scale any obstacle a stock TJ Rubi can because of BLD would quiet this silliness, or so you would think. TJ and YJ owners simply don't understand... the JK is a completely different animal, more capable than the previous models and more capable than any other factory stock 4x4 you can buy. I've owned a moderately upgraded YJ and a heavily modded CJ-5. I can take my stock JK nearly anywhere I could drive either of those, and do so in far more comfort.

My regards,

Widewing

My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2009, 04:15:08 PM »
LOL...that's simply a close range IR optical tracker.  It could also easily track that man in the suit walking but it doesn't mean it would be tactically effective by itself or at long range.  IR like that is great when you can slave it to something like a radar track.  Otherwise it's like searching the skies looking through a soda straw. 

Getting back from jeeps:
If any nation wants to get their nails into a stealth figher, it's all about seeing them. So the search, alarm, and thereby optics, IR and radar would have to be able to work together in a new way.
Sort of like a straw, eyeglass, ears and a radar clapped together.
Something not there, but IMHO possible.

Back to Jeeps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tccrBWtSda4

Enjoy.  :devil
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline rstel01

• Copper Member
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2009, 07:40:13 PM »

We were trail running with some friends in the Lehighton/Jim Thrope (PA) area back in October. Muddy as hell too. Spent two hours cleaning it afterward.

Yep, I'm a member of the JK-forum. I'm also a member of MilitaryJeepers.com and several others. MilitaryJeepers is for active duty and veterans who own Jeeps of any kind. Nice group of users.

One thing I noticed on the JK-Forum is that there are so many Jeep owners who don't know the difference between their dipstick and a tire iron. Completely, utterly devoid of mechanical knowledge. Did you see the post where a guy thought he had termites in his fiberglass top?

Then you have the knuckleheads who figure the solution to all problems is to air down their tires. One unbelievable character insisted that airing down to 2 psi was ideal from driving on snow covered trails. 2 psi??!! He's got a 3,500 lb vehicle, and 2 psi is simply flat... Great way to completely destroy the tires. Some of those guys make Forrest Gump look like a Harvard graduate. "Stupid is as stupid does, sir"

Reminds me of a guy here on Long Island. He spent over 6 grand modding the hell out of his '07 Unlimited. 4" Teraflex lift, 37" Procomps on 16" wheels and more armor than a Bradley Fighting Vehicle. Two of us had to pull him out of the sand when he buried it up to the frame rails... Those Procomps moved more sand than a backhoe... Problem was, he didn't go forward; he went straight down. He had never driven on the beach before. I have doubts he had ever been off road prior to that day. We coached him on beach driving and had him turn traction control back on as he couldn't seem to avoid spinning the wheels like mad. He managed not to get buried again..

I looked at your photos and those from the Virginia group. Nice bunch of common-sense Jeepers enjoying themselves. Is that nice looking Red X yours? Seeing that stock Yellow X S24 running with the Rubicons was interesting. Considering that they still had the Goodyear SR-A rubber, they did very well.

SR-As are much better than many guys with heavily modded Jeeps will readily admit. They are certainly better in snow than any M/T tire. Self cleaning lugs are not what you want. Nothing sticks better to snow than snow. M/Ts throw snow everywhere but don't bite. The SR-As load up with snow and bite well. That is why my BFGs are in the garage and the SR-As on the Jeep for the winter. Traction control isn't much help if there's no traction to control.  ;)

Then again, a surprising number of JK drivers switch off the ESP and traction control when it snows. This, I believe, is due to really bad advice from other Jeep owners. ESP and traction control were incorporated precisely for those types of conditions.

That's why I tell people to be careful with what they read on Jeep forums. There's as much bad info as good. One TJ owner stated that Brake Lock Differentials were just a gimmick.. The fact that a JK X model will scale any obstacle a stock TJ Rubi can because of BLD would quiet this silliness, or so you would think. TJ and YJ owners simply don't understand... the JK is a completely different animal, more capable than the previous models and more capable than any other factory stock 4x4 you can buy. I've owned a moderately upgraded YJ and a heavily modded CJ-5. I can take my stock JK nearly anywhere I could drive either of those, and do so in far more comfort.

My regards,

Widewing

The Red JK is mine. Basic X with the only options A/C, Posi, 6-Speed and Half-Doors. It really is my wife and my camping-adventure beast and will go anywhere a Rubi can and that is what we use it for. It has had a break-upgrade-wheel more type life so far. I run a basic 1.75 lift, I do a good chunk of Mud so I ditched the SRA's for a set of new BFG's from a Rubi (Gave my sister in law my 17 SRA's for her unlimited since she only had the 16's). The Diff's are up-armored (I peeled them crawling boulders), I custom fabricated welded sliders from the basic R/R Tube steps (after driving one into the pinch seam of the quarter panel walking over a log). The back seat was tossed and the seats added with the Smitty Built MolleGear backs (with everything in them). I modded the tailgate to hold the compressor, some recovery gear, come along and tire repair kit. I cut and fabricated a hi-lift mount and stronger recovery points behind the stock rear bumper. Plus, fabricated a home made sway-bar disco (here I really hate Rubi owners in freezing temps when we wheel :lol). I almost hydro-locked it once so I also custom fabricated a water deflector over the airbox from roof sewer pipe vent flashing and foam. The water ingress to the stock airbox is being thrown by the belt up into the hood and across not, from the bottom as allot of people think! 

In the summer we ditch the top and only run the bikini and rear duster cover. The BFG's are horrible in the snow if you have to drive on a road but, on the trail in snow at about 16psi not to bad. My only "squeak" if there was one is I wish I had the Rubi's 4.1 ratio T-Case for the reduction in Low when going down very steep inclines and that it had the 4.0 Liter Straight Six. As you know, 3.8 isn't too great in higher RPM torque. Although at Quadratec's open house sale last fall I picked up a scratch-dent Voliant axle back exhaust and it really helped on hills in 5th-6th gear. Otherwise, I have pulled lots of Rubi's out where I did not get stuck! Not having the D-44 in the front (plus the D-30 is open even though I ordered posi and expected both carriers to have it) is somewhat of a drag but, the BLD more than makes up for not having E-Lockers. 

Oh and plus the additional off-road lighting since the JK has poor lights as you know.

It really is a great fun vehicle for us and if I didn't have Mustangs and some other vehicles I would probably get another one. The thing is about as sure footed and go anywhere as a Mountain goat.

In a nutshell you are right on the lack of Mechanical Knowledge for a good chunk of JK owners. But, to sum it up in one word UNLIMITED is what caused that. Granted I wheel with people that have super Unlimited's and are really knowledgeable (although I like to bust balls about School Buses when they have to 3 point turns that I scoot through or get turtled on sharp drops). But, the bulk of Unlimiteds are simply Mall-Crawlers so Junior can get his under-roo's at Wally-Mart in the snow and they can feel "outdoorsy".

At a JK fest last October, we had this "outdoorsy" guy in his Unlimited Sahara join us on a trail ride. After a simple few off-camber obstacles, the guy started almost crying about "rolling" over and "killing his kids". I was almost comical and we were only running an easy green. He made the entire group back-track out of the trails so he could go home (we wouldn't leave him alone).

When you get a chance check out the trails and tales section of JK forum on Sunday after we do this ride on Saturday. My wife (JnRstel) is the defacto photo-video nut that makes awesome videos and photos of all our rides.

Hope to see you out on the trails!                     

After swimming this:

This simple mod keeps water out of your airbox

here is mine going through that simple obstacle where the guy started freaking out

Offline rstel01

• Copper Member
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2009, 07:51:15 PM »
(again sorry for the Hijack)

This pic shows you the Hi-lift mount on the stock bumper and Tailgate setup

The little JK is really like a mule!

And again, I would highly recommend that simple Airbox mod if you are going to swim it (or a snorkle)