Author Topic: Lost the Plot?  (Read 1673 times)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Lost the Plot?
« on: February 14, 2009, 09:31:25 PM »
See Rules #4, #8
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 03:24:32 PM by Skuzzy »
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Re: Lost the Plot?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 09:37:08 PM »
Batty...

Funny how even though the instructions are clearly printed on the heel of the boot....they still can't empty the piss out of it.  :devil

NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 09:38:41 PM »
i will remember that phrase, thank you sir  :lol
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 09:41:47 PM »
Don't sweat it! Base capture types have a quantifiable outcome to justify their exertions. They even get a fancy "in lights" recognition for each capture. So they feel like they are the rulers of the AH world.

See how far they get without the furballers on their side keeping the skies clear. There is no quantifiable data for "kill efficiency", but dedicated A2A types can knock bandits out of the sky exponentially faster than capture types. The kill that will take you two passes and 30 seconds might take a "capture type" two and a half minutes of dead six pursuit, and an entire clip of LA-7 20mm before that kill is made. Keeping the skies clear efficiently, or at the very least maintaining air combat balance, keeps IL-2's and A-20's from busting GV's. All sides play a part in winning the war, and whether furballers care or not, they play a very valuable role.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 09:43:28 PM by trotter »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 09:48:14 PM »
I'm really really trying hard to bite my tongue here...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 09:51:49 PM »
true trotter. Another point that relates is that even the best pilot in the world can be defeated by a relative noob, due to the very fact you mention with the la7 20mm clip. I have often mused on the fact that after winning numerous encounters my sortie can easily be ended by an enemy who doesnt care how much ammo he uses as long as he gets one kill now.

*waves at lusche* hi :D

Offline kamilyun

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 09:56:47 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 03:23:55 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 09:59:21 PM »
I hope you feel good about yourself ruining the knights chances batty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltwxC19s5u8

"Of course, how selfish of me. Lets do all the things that YOU wanna do."  :rofl :rofl :rofl
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 10:01:01 PM by TonyJoey »

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 10:16:31 PM »
Yay I'm the star of the show!

batfink, I had a great time furballing with you guys this morning, happy you guys weren't trying to take the base sir, was too much fun.

<S>
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 10:21:48 PM »
I will say it again, just so all can understand:

Those who get accused of "furballing" to the exclusion of everything else and landing big kill numbers while bases get taken, THOSE SAME are the ones who typically do the most to "win the war" in Special Events, where the missions and objectives are actually realistic-hint, they AREN'T realistic in the MA. Read my lips: Running an NOE with a crowd of 110s and and one C-47 full of troops to an undefended base does *not* much resemble in any way how the "map was moved" in WWII. Suicide-porking a base, suicide buffing, or anything else with "suicide" in its name does not resemble "war", because in war (and Special Events) you get ONE life and attrition is a dominant factor. The squad you see flying high-cap and either killing or putting to flight everything that comes their way are the ones who are good at realistically simulated war. And you know the lone nutjob flying low into 20 or so bandits in an inferior ride who still pwns and kills 5 or 6? He's usually even BETTER than the mass-killers I just mentioned when he goes to the "Big Show". Any situation where he can engage semi-fairly or with the advantage will seem super-easy to him.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 10:25:59 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 10:28:23 PM »

Those who get accused of "furballing" to the exclusion of everything else and landing big kill numbers while bases get taken, THOSE SAME are the ones who typically do the most to "win the war" in Special Events, where the missions and objectives are actually realistic-hint, they AREN'T realistic in the MA. Read my lips: Running an NOE with a crowd of 110s and and one C-47 full of troops to an undefended base does *not* much resemble in any way how the "map was moved" in WWII. Suicide-porking a base, suicide buffing, or anything else with "suicide" in its name does not resemble "war", because in war you get ONE life and attrition is a dominant factor. The squad you see flying high-cap and either killing or putting to flight everything that comes their way are the ones who are good at realistic simulated WWII combat. And you know the lone nutjob flying low into 20 or so bandits in an inferior ride who still pwns and kills 5 or 6? He's usually even BETTER than the mass-killers I just mentioned when he goes to the "Big Show" because situations where he's allowed to try to engage favorably will seem super-easy to him.

Good post. You did a good job taking into consideration two of the major view points in AH. The furballers who don't care if they die because it's just a game. and The guys who fly "like real life" Neither are wrong IMO. Some people just play yhe game different. The view point I don't like is the "win the war, let's vultch/horde/run an NOE mission type" Which is probably the view point our country channel hero has. 71 was just there to have fun. They did a good job in providing a good hour or so of it too  :aok
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 10:52:13 PM »

Those who get accused of "furballing" to the exclusion of everything else and landing big kill numbers while bases get taken, THOSE SAME are the ones who typically do the most to "win the war" in Special Events, where the missions and objectives are actually realistic-hint, they AREN'T realistic in the MA. Read my lips: Running an NOE with a crowd of 110s and and one C-47 full of troops to an undefended base does *not* much resemble in any way how the "map was moved" in WWII. Suicide-porking a base, suicide buffing, or anything else with "suicide" in its name does not resemble "war", because in war (and Special Events) you get ONE life and attrition is a dominant factor. The squad you see flying high-cap and either killing or putting to flight everything that comes their way are the ones who are good at realistically simulated war. And you know the lone nutjob flying low into 20 or so bandits in an inferior ride who still pwns and kills 5 or 6? He's usually even BETTER than the mass-killers I just mentioned when he goes to the "Big Show". Any situation where he can engage semi-fairly or with the advantage will seem super-easy to him.
:aok
This game is FSO. Everything else is just practice.

Although, I have to say, that when I fly FSO I still really don't care about winning, just completing the mission and getting home safe, and helping my squadies do the same, while having a great time!

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
It's easy to be a war winner in the MA. There is no death penalty. You can die as many times as it takes and still be rewarded with a field capture. The same weiners most likely blow chunks when it comes to scenarios or FSO. Heros of AH.... :rolleyes:

NoBaddy (NB)

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 11:04:33 PM »
ROX doesn't like Batfink either? Don't worry Batfink, I'd wear it as a badge of honor, the rest of us do.  :salute
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 11:13:05 PM »
I'd wear it as a badge of honor, the rest of us do.  :salute

Badges? Bfink don't need no steenkin' badges!!!

(sri..couldn't resist :D)

NoBaddy (NB)