Author Topic: Fix the Wirble  (Read 6028 times)

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
Re: Fix the Wirble
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2009, 11:35:50 AM »
Would that be the one fired from a gun that was firing non stop, that should have had to pause to reload and was 2 seconds earlier pointing 180 away?
probably :aok   reminds me of air america, when they are flying over the feilds and the lone guy get's out his single shot carbine and leads way out , one shot, engine smoked !
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 11:39:07 AM by WWhiskey »
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2009, 11:41:28 AM »
Do you know the difference between a question and a statement?

Answer the question pls. Because I find that Lusche has no motive to mislead anyone.

Your not asking a question, your trying to put words in my mouth.  :noid

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2009, 11:46:21 AM »
Your not asking a question, your trying to put words in my mouth.  :noid
Yes or no will suffice. Is lusche spreading disinformation?

See Rule #4

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2009, 11:47:28 AM »
Again, this depends on the feed tray and how its loaded.  Does not matter how many guns there are.  ROF is a constant.

The Flakvierling 38 has no feed tray. It's magazine fed. Once the 20-round magazine is empty, it's removed and a new one is inserted. As a single barrel fired at 480 rounds/minute, the magazine was empty after 2.5 seconds of continous fire. One loader had to reload 2 barrels each. So firing all four barrels at once (by pushing down both both pedals) meant a short stop after 2.5 seconds, during which the gunners had to insert two new magazines. Only then the gunner could continue firing.
If the gunner chose to fire only two barrels at once, the loaders were able to reaload the one currently not firing. Only that way continous sutained fire was possible.
And that's why you can read "practical rate of fire: 800 rnds/minute" in most data sheets. That's the constant ROF. The 1800 rounds/minute is the theoretical maximum ROF which can't be sustained.
Our AH2 Wirbel is shooting at a continous ROF of 1800 rds/min.

That's the same gun the Wirbelwind is using. See the magazines.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2009, 11:49:09 AM »
ZOMG  teh pwn.
See Rule #4

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2009, 11:51:57 AM »
That must have been a crappy job, reloading those huge guns while they're going off right next to your face, the turret is traversing and aircraft are flying at you.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2009, 11:56:04 AM »
Shoveling away poop faster than it's thrown it at you is what life's all about.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2009, 12:03:27 PM »

The Flakvierling 38 has no feed tray. It's magazine fed. Once the 20-round magazine is empty, it's removed and a new one is inserted. As a single barrel fired at 480 rounds/minute, the magazine was empty after 2.5 seconds of continous fire. One loader had to reload 2 barrels each. So firing all four barrels at once (by pushing down both both pedals) meant a short stop after 2.5 seconds, during which the gunners had to insert two new magazines. Only then the gunner could continue firing.
If the gunner chose to fire only two barrels at once, the loaders were able to reaload the one currently not firing. Only that way continous sutained fire was possible.
And that's why you can read "practical rate of fire: 800 rnds/minute" in most data sheets. That's the constant ROF. The 1800 rounds/minute is the theoretical maximum ROF which can't be sustained.
Our AH2 Wirbel is shooting at a continous ROF of 1800 rds/min.

(Image removed from quote.)
That's the same gun the Wirbelwind is using. See the magazines.

Please excuse my slowness on the uptake.  What is the actual as real as it gets rof per minute for 2 and or 4 guns firing as it should be modeled?  Is it somewhere between 800 & 1800 RPM?  Your info is appreciated!
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2009, 12:12:39 PM »
480 RPM=ROF for one gun
800 RPM= 'Constant' ROF with two guns firing while the other to are reloaded
1800 RPM= Unsustainable ROF with all 4 guns firing.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2009, 12:17:43 PM »
Please excuse my slowness on the uptake.  What is the actual as real as it gets rof per minute for 2 and or 4 guns firing as it should be modeled?  Is it somewhere between 800 & 1800 RPM?  Your info is appreciated!

800 rpm.

However, I am aware that this will probably not being modeled (="fixed") in the near future for several reasons. One of them: in some ways it would open a can of worms, as undoubtly players would then rightfully claim all magazine fed weapons should get restricted in a similar way (For example the 20mm MG/FF in the BF 110C!)
Adjusting the turret rotation speed would be much simpler to do ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2009, 12:19:51 PM »
However, I am aware that this will probably not being modeled (="fixed") in the near future for several reasons. One of them: in some ways it would open a can of worms, as undoubtly players would then rightfully claim all magazine fed weapons should get restricted in a similar way (For example the 20mm MG/FF in the BF 110C!)
Well now, that's interesting... How can you reload a nose mounted cannon in an aircraft?  :confused:

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2009, 12:20:51 PM »
800 rpm.

Adjusting the turret rotation speed would be much simpler to do ;)
I don't think once the code is written it would be bad to implement to all clip fed weapons. If that is how it is suppose to be.
See Rule #4

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2009, 12:22:01 PM »
Thank you Motherland & Lusche. 

<Salute>
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2009, 12:41:22 PM »
I don't think once the code is written it would be bad to implement to all clip fed weapons. If that is how it is suppose to be.

And if that's how it operated IRL, then that's how it SHOULD be modeled. Clip-fed weapons should act like clip-fed weapons.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2009, 12:57:32 PM »
Ammo counters, etc.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you