Author Topic: New Machines and Running Aces High  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Surfer

• Zinc Member
Re: New Machines and Running Aces High
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 11:59:06 AM »
I made good progress this morning.

I posted in the NEW MACHINE HANGS thread.

Briefly, the combination of moving sound from the onboard hardware to a FX-i PCI sound card
with disabling SLI may be my magic combination.

40 full mins, 3 landed sorties with no hangs!

-Surfer
"If you're not having fun...you're doing something wrong"

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 03:22:29 PM »
By the way, we were the first natively multi-threaded game in the market.

forealz?

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 03:36:25 PM »
The easiest solution when your software doesn't perform as expected is to throw the blame on the hardware. I ran my other games on an AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+ before I upgraded to a 940BE quad, some games don't have the lock-up problem, some do(including AHII). The "bug" is explained below.

AMD Dual-Core Optimizer Version 1.1.4 - The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized.

I hope that explains why AHII locks up on your AMD machines.

Happy gaming!

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 03:47:09 PM »
Welp...

...I'm running an Opteron 185/dual nvidia 9800 GTX+ OC's on a AN8-SLI Deluxe,
2 Raptor's in RAID 0, WinXP Pro SP3.

The longest I can fly is 28 min's prior to a hard freeze. I was running onboard sound,
read that it may be a problem, installed an FX-i PCI sound card, and enjoyed the same results.

My box tears up every other piece of software without a hitch...CS2, COD4, COD5, Black Shark...you name it.

I'm about to give up my favorite software because it refuses to run on my hardware.

I guess it just hates AMD hardware. It sucks, but then life sucks sometimes.

Trust me...I've done every fix, every trick, include 98/ME compatibility and have come
to the conclusion that it's simply an issue of my CPU being an AMD product. If I could afford it,
I'd build a Intel box just for Aces High...that's how much I love that software.

But that just can't happen now.

*sigh*

-Surfer

One of my versions of windows xp did not handle the patches well. I never realized there were 46 versions of windows xp. My version was purchased at my university. I've always wondered if that was why.

I ended up building two more systems and gave the amd 6000 to my son. Which he is amazed with.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 03:58:08 PM »
The easiest solution when your software doesn't perform as expected is to throw the blame on the hardware. I ran my other games on an AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+ before I upgraded to a 940BE quad, some games don't have the lock-up problem, some do(including AHII). The "bug" is explained below.

AMD Dual-Core Optimizer Version 1.1.4 - The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized.

I hope that explains why AHII locks up on your AMD machines.

Happy gaming!

That is AMD marketing-speak for "we made a boo-boo".  The design is not compatible with the Intel architecture or the results would be the same for any software.  AMD has a design fix for the CPU's, but had decided not to go forward with it.  Initially they had announced they would cut in the fix, but it never happened.  At least they have corrected the problem in all the new non-dual-core CPU's.

Yes, we are aware of exactly why it happens.  It is not a programming error.  It is a compatibility problem with the AMD dual-core CPU's.

It is not about blame.  It is about where the problem actually lies.  We have never arbitrarily blamed hardware for problems.  My perspective is if the customer has a problem, then we (HTC) have a problem.  We have known for a very long time about the compatibility problem with the AMD dual-core CPU.  I think we have it pretty well documented as well. 

Once we determine why something does not act as expected, then we have done our due diligence in finding the problem.  Next, we look for a solution.  We have one for this problem.  All is right with the world.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 04:02:13 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 05:05:59 PM »
Yes, we are aware of exactly why it happens.  It is not a programming error.  It is a compatibility problem with the AMD dual-core CPU's.

All is right with the world.

for the record, if you all out there build a pc in the future and want to run AHII, be forewarned that the game is optimized for INTEL hardware only.

i think i also should advise NVIDIA for the video card, regardless of whether the other brand has a BETTER product than the two mentioned.

AMD doesn't have a cold bug like Intel's core i7:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB0JodKgZ0A&NR=1

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 05:07:53 PM »
for the record, if you all out there build a pc in the future and want to run AHII, be forewarned that the game is optimized for INTEL hardware only.

The game is not optimized for Intel hardware.  The game is designed to run on the X86 architecture.  The game runs fine on an AMD quad or tri core CPU. 

You are pushing it.  Just FYI.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 05:11:00 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 05:50:02 PM »
You are pushing it.  Just FYI.

I'm beginning to question why when all we've had is a good technical discussion?

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 06:46:41 PM »
I'm sorry it wasn't my intention to make any of this a personal attack. I tried to give you information (what little I know, I'm only at almost 4000 post so I really don't know much yet), and suggested you do a little research. On these boards you could try "spinning clipboard", on google you could try "AMD processor bug" maybe. In stead you would rather come in here and spew crap about the game, and push rumors of "old technology", and "problems" with the game.

I'd love to see a list of problems YOU have with the game. I find it pretty funny that I could be playing this game for all the years I have and have only hit a couple of minor bugs that have no real bearing on the game play. HTC has always been very quick with any bug that pops up in an update. Patches are made and put out in hours sometimes.

I'm sorry you bought an AMD based computer and have it the bug they have said they are not going to be able to fix (because its in the CPU) Had you checked out the Hardware section of these boards you would have also seen there was an issue and what you would have to do to get it to work with the game. Unfortunately HTC is staying ahead with their technology, while AMD seems to be falling behind. Maybe you should post your drivel on their boards instead?

in one of these threads, you asked what my varience was. the bottom graph stays at the bottom, right up till the slowdown happens....then it goes off the scale. the top graph stays near the center, and when the slowdown happens, it varys 1/2 way up, and 1/2 way down rapidly.

one is labeled host que time?

thanks!
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 07:01:24 PM »
Ok, I have to jump in here; Am I the only one that hasn't had troubles with AMD?
I built this machine from scratch, and use AMD/NVidia/Biostar, and I put it together, installed OS/software, got the AMD fix, and have not had troubles with any games locking up/freezing/stuttering.  Am I just really darn lucky, or are you all just doing something wrong?

I go with AMd due to not having money for Intel, and am fine with that; I understand Intel is more of a gamer CPU, but AMD is working great for me. :)

Ok I lied, sometimes AH will not re-maximize, but that is the only glitch I have, and not even sure that is AMDs fault.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 07:29:51 PM »
in one of these threads, you asked what my varience was. the bottom graph stays at the bottom, right up till the slowdown happens....then it goes off the scale. the top graph stays near the center, and when the slowdown happens, it varys 1/2 way up, and 1/2 way down rapidly.

one is labeled host que time?

thanks!

look at the "processes" tab and find what program is doing it, you can click on the CPU column to find whats screwing the CPU.

you may also want to open up the resource monitor to find which program is screwing up the HDD. the resource monitor button is in the "performance" tab.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 11:23:11 PM »
ok.....that puter is loaded in my van.....taking it in tomorrow. got the old one back up for now.

but guess whaat?

now the friggin game won't see my throttle or rudder. it sees the buttons on the throttle, but that's it......

GGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRR
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009, 08:28:48 AM »
See Rule #5
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 09:28:55 AM by Skuzzy »
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2009, 08:53:36 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 09:29:07 AM by Skuzzy »