Author Topic: 30mm damage  (Read 15474 times)

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
Re: 30mm damage
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 06:38:08 PM »
Hmm, interesting. The site seems to change the file association or something. You can view it by drag/dropping the saved file onto film viewer icon though.

In the case of buffs, making sure your rounds are concentrated on one area helps.
I've really only experienced this issue truly against Spitfires as far as I can recall.
But since a large majority of my fights are against at least one Spitfire...it's aggravating to say the least.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 06:41:10 PM by Scotch »
-AoM-

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 06:48:51 PM »
truthfully, even .50 cals are underpowered, i have seen videos were one burst of .50 cals drops a 109

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 06:51:52 PM »
truthfully, even .50 cals are underpowered, i have seen videos were one burst of .50 cals drops a 109

-BigBOBCH
My 109 has been dropped by one burst of .50 cals. Plenty of times.

I've seen a guncam where a 109 was being pursued by a P51. After the first time I watched it, I decided to go back and count the tracer pings.
I stopped at 17.
The aircraft did not fail structurally in the guncam.

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 08:07:50 PM »

-BigBOBCH

You can drop a plane in a heartbeat with 50's.  The thing to consider is the vast majority of .50 cal armed planes have them wing mounted, therefore hitting at or near convergence is an important factor.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline macerxgp

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 09:06:56 PM »
See Rule #6
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 04:13:02 PM by Skuzzy »
Quote from: Saurdaukar
Operational kettles in August 2009 exceed operational pots by approximately 142%.

Your comparison is invalid.

DeMaskus
357th-Death Dragons

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 09:09:23 PM »
See Rule #6
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 04:13:12 PM by Skuzzy »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline macerxgp

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 09:15:21 PM »
Quote from: Saurdaukar
Operational kettles in August 2009 exceed operational pots by approximately 142%.

Your comparison is invalid.

DeMaskus
357th-Death Dragons

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 10:33:01 PM »
You can drop a plane in a heartbeat with 50's.  The thing to consider is the vast majority of .50 cal armed planes have them wing mounted, therefore hitting at or near convergence is an important factor.

convergence is NOT a factor in my 4x50 cal P-47    =)

im a bad shot i have them spread all over.

Offline CAVPFCDD

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 11:09:06 PM »
no film or SS but tonight had two weird 30mm instances in Blue in my 109k4

hit a 190 wing dead on with the 30mm....nothing

pulled up behind a 51d, he didnt move, so must have been afk, i throw out a burst with all my guns, now at least 4 tater rounds had to have hit the tail section... nothin, i go wizzing by and hes still flying level with not a single scrap falling off
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace." - Duane Allman

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." Jerry Garcia

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 04:53:33 AM »
I have never noticed a problem against spits where the tator doesnt just rip them in half but I know a P47 can take a tator and be flying but they dont only get a fuel leak, there engine is normally dead or rad and oil and fuel leak all at the same time
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 10:31:07 AM »
Anyone who flies 30mm birds often has probably run into this before. There's been numerous threads started about this issue, but very few films. You earn that sweet tater shot on a Spitfire only to have him shrug off the hit with minimal to no damage and fly off as if nothing happened.

In this case the lucky Spit14 takes a fuel leak after being hit by a 30mm round from within d200...  :cry

http://dasmuppets.com/public/Scotch/SPITTATER.ahf

I was running into this left and right, last night.  Although, unlike your Swallowfire (TM) which suffered at least some damage, my 30's were consistently registering zero damage.

I suppose I should start filming.  Just last night, I scored (visually) hits on two Spit 16's with no discernible damage (one of which was a clear wing strike), a single hit on the nose of a P51 with no damage and what must have been a dozen strikes against a B24 with *nothing* even falling off. 

The 24 was particularly interesting because the hits were long range (long enough that the standard hit sprite was shown instead of the burst, 500+? - and no I wasnt firing the 13's - and they were all concentrated in the tail section).  Nothing.  Not a darn bit of damage.  And I DID get an assist when we went down later so at least some of the hits actually registered server side.

Since this comes up fairly frequently - I wonder if HT might chime in with some theories as to why this is happening?

Not angry about it - but it would be nice to know, if it is a client-side issue, how one might go about fixing it.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 10:37:12 AM »
I was running into this left and right, last night.  Although, unlike your Swallowfire (TM) which suffered at least some damage, my 30's were consistently registering zero damage.

I suppose I should start filming.  Just last night, I scored (visually) hits on two Spit 16's with no discernible damage (one of which was a clear wing strike), a single hit on the nose of a P51 with no damage and what must have been a dozen strikes against a B24 with *nothing* even falling off. 

The 24 was particularly interesting because the hits were long range (long enough that the standard hit sprite was shown instead of the burst, 500+? - and no I wasnt firing the 13's - and they were all concentrated in the tail section).  Nothing.  Not a darn bit of damage.  And I DID get an assist when we went down later so at least some of the hits actually registered server side.

Since this comes up fairly frequently - I wonder if HT might chime in with some theories as to why this is happening?

Not angry about it - but it would be nice to know, if it is a client-side issue, how one might go about fixing it.

Did you get any assists from these hits?  I have a film where I hit a SpitfireIX with a tater, he took no damage, but I later got an assist.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 10:53:08 AM »
Standard hit sprites and other reduced graphics will show when rendering get too busy.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 12:29:17 PM »
Did you get any assists from these hits?  I have a film where I hit a SpitfireIX with a tater, he took no damage, but I later got an assist.

On the 24, yes.  On the rest - no.  Some nights, youre at 10K over their base - and some nights, they're at 10K  over yours. 

Last night was an example of the latter. 

As such, the time elapsed between takeoff and 'forced' tower-out does not often allow for one to wait around for an assist.   :D

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 12:46:04 PM »

me too :rock