Author Topic: Ground Attack advice needed  (Read 792 times)

Offline apcampbell

• Copper Member
      • http://
Ground Attack advice needed
« on: March 09, 2009, 11:16:52 AM »
Hopefully y'all can provide me with some pointers. I've had considerable difficulty hitting GV's with rockets (any type of aircraft) and literally no luck hitting anything while using the IL-2's 37mm guns. I have my salvo set to 2 for rockets, and almost always see them fall short or fly long. I've been using the bottom of my gunsight as the aim point, and fire usually at D200 to D300.

As for the IL-2's guns, I have the covergence set to D300 and I see my hits usually impact all around the target GV, but never on it. (I try to attack from an altitude of at least 500ft above the GV)

Any suggestions on how to correct some of these problems? Will try to post a film later today
"Navy061"
http://www.slybirds.com
Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. -Douglas Adams

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Ground Attack advice needed
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 11:26:48 AM »
As for the IL-2's guns, I have the covergence set to D300 and I see my hits usually impact all around the target GV, but never on it. (I try to attack from an altitude of at least 500ft above the GV)

- Shoot cannon alone, never with MG's - they will just clutter up the view
- Shoot late. when having convergence at D300 but shooting at D600, it's very likely your rounds will pass the tank left & right.
- Get alt. Come down steep (but watch the ground). Get at least 1k feet above your target first, 2k is even better. Throttle back.

Here's a small film I just made offline. Convergence D300. Note that I'm attacking rather sloppy, I would recommend to climb a bit higher and dive somewhat steeper especially when looking at my lazy second approach ;)

http://www.mediafire.com/?3my2yliuziu
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 11:35:43 AM »
I think the trick is to make the same kind of run each time. If you use the bottom of your guns site you must make the same run each time. If you come in at a 45 degree angle and miss short with the bottom of the site, then coming in at 85 degrees with the bottom of the site will come in long.

Ideally 45 degrees is good. At 45, looking out the side window your horizon line is from corner to corner so its easy to see if your on the right angle. Depending on the site you use the firering position might be lower than the bottom of the site. Go to the TA, enable the LCS and see where the cross hairs line up in your site at 45 degree dive angle. Last is going to be range, and this is just practice. At the 45 degree angle, there will be some drop due to gravity. The longer the range, the more the drop.

Lusche covered the IL2 pretty well.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 11:37:52 AM »
Rockets:  Go to the TA and practice shooting at 'stuff'.  In the TA you have a lead computing sight for bombs and rockets when selected that shows you where to shoot.  Use the green cross in reference to your gun sight to figure out where you need to aim in order to hit what you're aiming at.

Works well for practicing dive or glide bombing too.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 12:47:33 PM »
Personally I prefer to set convergience longer in iL2, gives you a little bigger sweet spot for hitting tanks.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 12:58:21 PM »
Personally I prefer to set convergience longer in iL2, gives you a little bigger sweet spot for hitting tanks.

Thats what I've done, think just to 400 but has made huge difference.

Offline Flit

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 12:39:44 AM »
Make sure your not pulling ( or pushing ) any G's when you fire rockets

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 08:24:09 AM »
if i'm not mistaken, A8tool had done a thread on this. he uses the p51d gunsight....the one with the "bowties" under the pipper. he showed how to use them to aim bombs, and rockets..........i think you might be able to do a search to find it.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 07:58:51 AM »
Hopefully y'all can provide me with some pointers. I've had considerable difficulty hitting GV's with rockets (any type of aircraft) and literally no luck hitting anything while using the IL-2's 37mm guns. I have my salvo set to 2 for rockets, and almost always see them fall short or fly long. I've been using the bottom of my gunsight as the aim point, and fire usually at D200 to D300.

Any suggestions on how to correct some of these problems? Will try to post a film later today

check out this thread. tool did a great writ up on this. i think there may be another link in there too.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,250151.0.html
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 10:03:43 AM »
Here's a 190F-8 film with 3 rocket kills; the rockets on the F-8 are armor piercing and I've had more success with them than I have with the larger HE rockets you find on American aircraft.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ymojmnjmygj

Make sure you're in ground vis mode (shift-f4) in AH before you view the film.

Edit:
Besides getting to see me miss some attacks, the ones that are successful are made with the eyeball technique.  I don't aim at any specific spot; I go by feel.  The only consistent thing I can see in the successful attacks is that the target is just under my nose when I fire.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 10:43:34 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 12:36:10 PM »
The problem is that rocket attacks vary by aircraft.  For instance, in the F6F-5 at a 35-45 degree dive angle and a little speed you put the pipper dot directly on the tank and salvo 3 rockets for a clean kill almost every time.  In contrast, the same dive angle and speed in a 190F-8 only requires two rockets but you can't fire until the GV is almost out of sight under your nose.

So aircraft is one variable.  Dive angle, speed and rocket type will also influence where you need to aim.

As to the IL2 (and Hurri MkIID) guns I set mine for 650 yards and open fire at 600.  This keeps them inward firing from the point I open fire.  Use normal zoom (alt Z IIRC) to better sight the target.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 06:05:33 PM »
Eagl,

I think you're looking at less the aircraft type, and more the ROCKET type. Rocket attacks with the American Iron are going to be more or less the same, because they all use the same 5" HVAR, the variation being in mounting location.

However the same doesn't apply with German aircraft, because while the 190F-8 uses an air to ground rocket while those on the later 109s/etc. are air-to-air rockets intended for killing bombers.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 06:07:44 PM by Saxman »
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 09:36:33 PM »
However the same doesn't apply with German aircraft, because while the 190F-8 uses an air to ground rocket while those on the later 109s/etc. are air-to-air rockets intended for killing bombers.

I stopped joining "mishins" a long time ago because 75% have the 110G with air-to-air rockets. :P
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!