Author Topic: A hypothetical question for the crowd regarding kills landed messages...  (Read 7998 times)

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
Re: A hypothetical question for the crowd regarding kills landed messages...
« Reply #225 on: March 17, 2009, 02:10:43 PM »
If you uber ace tards are so jaded that you have no concern for the future of this game and the psychology of new players, then YES lets turn off all and any reward systems from this point on.

The kill landed message is not for YOU, nor are the PERKS for you.

They are for the future of this game you pompus DORKS.

If how this game operated was left up to YOU jaded uber dorks who pontificate on this board in all of their self rightchous splendor, HTC would go broke because the lot of you would DRIVE away new members with your jaded effected ego fantasies of HOW THIS GAME SHOULD BE PLAYED.

You UBER DORKS have been given the DA to live out your ELITIST fantasies. MOOT should be your EMPEROR and crowned DORK. If you cannot make the DA into your fantasy of UBERISM in AH, leave the future of this game alone. You obviously cannot make the MA into your UBER DORK Fantasy image either. You TARDS realy have no clue in hades how good you have it with this game. YOUR UBER ELITIST whining will destroy it if HTC ever lets his guard down.

When did you DORKS forget what it takes to keep a game community viable and replenished? Now all you talk about is scheams to eat the games young and kill Aces High because you are Jaded. So, since it sounds like you guys are increadably unhappy playing Aces High, is this one of the many threads in the last few years that thinly covers up you attempting to sucker newbies into quiting the game based on your DOOM and GLOOM WHINING?

250 perk penalty, for Dark imaginings covering a good point whine.

Suggestion; You'll have to practice more on the aimless flailing arms, ratty hair, running around in figure 8s, and screaming in foreign tongues. French doesn't cut it.

I see your point, if I print it out and hold the paper at a 60 degree angle.

Animl <runs>
Animl (from the ashes of Air Warrior nation) http://home.comcast.net/~animl/

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #226 on: March 17, 2009, 02:15:13 PM »
You UBER DORKS have been given the DA to live out your ELITIST fantasies. MOOT should be your EMPEROR and crowned DORK. If you cannot make the DA into your fantasy of UBERISM in AH, leave the future of this game alone. You obviously cannot make the MA into your UBER DORK Fantasy image either. You TARDS realy have no clue in hades how good you have it with this game. YOUR UBER ELITIST whining will destroy it if HTC ever lets his guard down.

your DOOM and GLOOM WHINING?
What the??!  :lol  Doom and gloom whining?  You mean like what you guys have been doing everytime someone dares speak up with a differing opinion?  Backed up by transparent rationale?  Gone and taken one or two dozen guys totally randomly and set up some 6:6 matches in the DA?  Got shot down twenty times this last month or two while typing PMs to guys about how they could do such or such better?  Maybe you missed your meds..  Anyway I'm not really susprised...  You talk and talk about the muppets being nice and great guys, and then you turn it right around for no particular reason and go right off into the deep end.  Not really surprising cause that hypocrisy showed thru on your own forums when I looked at em last month.  Your "friendship" is totally bogus.

The part about us hating this game is just funny though.. I love this game. I love dogfighting, I love warbirds, I love finding those great fights where for a couple of minutes everything hangs in the balance, I love competing and seeing crappy players FINALLY go "tilt" and see them click the ACM together like they ought to, and put up great fights, I love the idea that this game has an overall trend of getting better and better.  Regardless of how along the way it's faltered a couple of times and that some of its players are certifiable.  Take your grand standing hypocrisy and baseless rimshots and shove em.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 02:17:41 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #227 on: March 17, 2009, 02:18:07 PM »
DOOM ON YOU  DOOM ON YOU
B <runs>
 :noid
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline betty

• Gold Member
« Reply #228 on: March 17, 2009, 02:22:49 PM »
i would have to say that i would turn it off. landing kills to me dont mean anything. three quarters of the time i fight till i die no matter if i have kills on board or not. to me the game is fun when i can chat with my squadies or the adopted TSM squadies and my other friends in game. great question though!!! and no i can honestly say that i would not fly any differently if the message was off hehe.
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #229 on: March 17, 2009, 02:25:22 PM »
Careful Betty, you're not supposed to even entertain the idea.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #230 on: March 17, 2009, 02:31:03 PM »
Well shame was the basis for the whole AW announce system........... there were no attaboys just

goober shot down
goober crashed
goober ditched
goober captured.

our text buffers would be constantly full of this stuff with our arena sizes..........

attaboys appeal to those wanting (needing?) feed back and they allow folk to share in success etc etc

its a loaded question ............frankly  it could have been

"ARE YOU THE TYPE OF PERSON WHO NEEDS GRATIFYING FEED BACK OF YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS FOR ALL TO SEE"

IMO the answer is yes we all are..............but most just dont want to admit it...........it may not fit in with the character we would like to portray......... its imodest of us .........to admit it lays us open to the critique that we seek gratification when it may be due more to others.

Denial is a wonderful thing........its one of those human traits that you bet the house on.

No truer words have been typed in this thread. If you wanted a pat on the back in those days...TUFF, go see your mommy!! Of course, the "Mickey D's" generation wasn't old enough to play online games in those days.....more's the pity.  :frown:

Tilt, what Dan posted about had nothing to do with perceived modesty. It is simply that some folks have been around long enough to not need the Ch1 ego massage when they land.  :)

Did bustr miss a medication session? That child is in serious need of an attitude adjustment.  :rofl
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #231 on: March 17, 2009, 02:52:44 PM »

It is simply that some folks have been around long enough to not need the Ch1 ego massage when they land.  :)

What about the rest of the community?
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #232 on: March 17, 2009, 03:05:48 PM »
What about the rest of the community?

...and why should the rest of the community care whether or not my kill messages are broadcast on Ch1? Personally, I would like to see some of the old fashioned AW type "counting coup". It was funny to see HT count his off in binary! :D

NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #233 on: March 17, 2009, 03:09:17 PM »
...and why should the rest of the community care whether or not my kill messages are broadcast on Ch1? Personally, I would like to see some of the old fashioned AW type "counting coup". It was funny to see HT count his off in binary! :D

You can ditch next to the runway.  You already have the option of not displaying any kill message.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #234 on: March 17, 2009, 03:10:05 PM »
I think the best way to fix the timidity problem is to quite simply remove the timidity at the source. That is, make the players good enough that they don't feel the need to fly timidly (and that's really not hard at all). The way to do this is to more efficiently funnel the players towards the training resources.  Trainers, improvised training by players, sparring in the DA, etc etc.  If somehow the AI could be used to give players an endless practice buddy that'd mold its skill level to the player, and set it up so players could "Warp" to any lesson they wanted (formation flying, defensive barrel rolls, long distance gunnery, anti-bomber fighter ACM, etc), it'd be a lot more efficient.

That's not to say that this idea's (changing the kill messages) inherently bad, either.   I personally would have it so you only found out who you killed after the flight. Unconfirmed messages before then.  I think all things considered the victories message on landing are best kept.  That's an incentive to succeed, to compete.  If some players get into all sort of dweeby contortions to land kill streaks by flying without actually fighting and earning them, that's another thing.  That abuse doesn't warrant forbidding proper use of the kill messages.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 03:12:27 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #235 on: March 17, 2009, 03:42:03 PM »
You can ditch next to the runway.  You already have the option of not displaying any kill message.

I prefer to turn all off so I can't see them. Doesn't affect what others see unless they turn theirs off too.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #236 on: March 17, 2009, 04:08:03 PM »
I prefer to turn all off so I can't see them. Doesn't affect what others see unless they turn theirs off too.

Seems reasonable.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #237 on: March 17, 2009, 04:12:59 PM »
Try as I might, I cannot see why the .squelch 6 option that has already been in the game as long as I can remember wouldn't suffice.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #238 on: March 17, 2009, 04:31:51 PM »
Try as I might, I cannot see why the .squelch 6 option that has already been in the game as long as I can remember wouldn't suffice.

Squelching channels which contain landing messages would work wonderfully well if the aim was to avoid seeing landing messages.

Thats the not the aim, though. 

The aim is actually to improve gameplay.

It is believed that if landing messages were removed, or resembled the AW system, that the incentive to survive and, therefore by default, avoid engagements of equal or lesser footing, would be diminished.

In turn, it is then believed that gameplay would improve by a correspondingly favorable level.

If landing messages were disabled.  :)

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #239 on: March 17, 2009, 05:07:51 PM »
--snip--

That wasn't the original question though, which was about turning them off for yourself.  Very easy, don't land, problem solved.

But about all that, gameplay behavior/problems emerge when a high level of anonymity develops because the level of familiarity between players drop when the population density gets too large.  So the answer is to make the game more anonymous by removing a game mechanic that introduces everyone to who is on, what they are flying, and how sucessful they are?  I disagree.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 05:15:37 PM by Murdr »