Author Topic: Speakers  (Read 713 times)

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
Speakers
« on: March 21, 2009, 08:03:33 PM »
Kinda a creepy effect I got recently.  I bought a Creative Audigy Sound Blaster card for my computer along with a Logitech X-530 5.1 Speaker set and as much as I love them I have a slight problem.
I have to turn my speaker volume and Windows volume to 100% to hear a movie, odd, but I can handle that, however just a few minutes ago I was watching StarGate and started hearing odd talking.  I paused the Show and the talking continued, I checked around, and turned speakers off, talking stops.  It sounds like a very weak radio station.  I do not have anything else open to create noise.
Another annoying problem is if a switch is flicked in the house a speaker "pops", annoying but I can deal with it unless there is a solution.

Is it possible to pick up a radio station through speakers, if so can it be stopped?  Also, is there a way to stop the "popping" noise?
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Avaro

• Nickel Member
Re: Speakers
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 09:26:28 PM »
This doesn't help but I just bought a Guitar Amplifier and I get a radio station clear as day and It doesn't have a tuner either.. I don't know how that toejam works but It shouldn't do that lol. Try moving your speaks and speaker wires closer together maybe that will help.
Das Muppets

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 10:46:43 PM »
its coming from the Stargate, close the Iris.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 10:54:56 PM »
I was just reading a thread, I think in the O'Club, a few weeks ago about a guy who had this same thing happening, so yes it appears it is possible.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 03:20:40 AM »
Sometimes when I'm flying between fights I can faintly here an A.M. band radio station playing behind the sound of my planes motor through my head set. None of you ever wire up a AM radio receiver in grade school science class. The wires, mic and speakers in your sound systems are all AM recivers. I'm surprised some of you havent been telling us stories about the faint voices you hear behind your engine sounds in the game. It's possible to get bleed from cordless phone sets. But then whos gonna admit they've been hearing voices ever since Aces High became and addiction and drove them insane.......... :rolleyes:
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 08:13:20 AM »
Well I knew about the whole "This device complies with part 15.  This device can accept and cause interference from other devices" or whatever, just never knew it meant to this extreme.  I have speakers close to off at night, just enough to hear music, and the radio station it picked up was loud enough to hear it in the living room at times.
So what would be the best way to try and block it?  Shield the wires more?

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 09:48:51 AM »
One time I moved a small toy walky-talky to a telephone line. Upon the antenna making contact with the telephone line I picked up someone's conversation (nobody was using the phones in the house). I figured it was probably some form of talk radio as they were debating some issue that were real hot in recent weeks. So, most likely if you play around with the wires and get them away from other wires, jacks, or electronic devices your problem may cease to exist. It's something to try, I can't guarantee it will work, though.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Avaro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 04:01:24 PM »
Sometimes when I'm flying between fights I can faintly here an A.M. band radio station playing behind the sound of my planes motor through my head set. None of you ever wire up a AM radio receiver in grade school science class. The wires, mic and speakers in your sound systems are all AM recivers. I'm surprised some of you havent been telling us stories about the faint voices you hear behind your engine sounds in the game. It's possible to get bleed from cordless phone sets. But then whos gonna admit they've been hearing voices ever since Aces High became and addiction and drove them insane.......... :rolleyes:
Whats AM radio?!  :P Anyways I think the wires have to be a certain link so maybe wrap them up see If that helps also make sure none of your speakers are really close to eachother.
Das Muppets

Offline rapp25

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 08:29:56 PM »
Wasn't there an old female US comedian who supposedly picked up vibrations in her teeeth from an underground japanese spy transmitting during WW2?  :rofl :D I think mythbusters tried this out...but I dont really remember.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 10:34:41 PM »
Wasn't there an old female US comedian who supposedly picked up vibrations in her teeeth from an underground japanese spy transmitting during WW2?  :rofl :D I think mythbusters tried this out...but I dont really remember.

Lucille Ball made that claim.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 11:02:07 PM »
Well I re-arranged my room some, and the speakers got spread out some more, wires separated and wrapped as much as possible.
Yet to hear any Radio from it, sounds like it is working so far, will give it a day or two to see how it works. :)

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 04:27:47 PM »
Does the popping still occur when someone flips a switch?
FlameThink.com

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 04:42:33 PM »
Does the popping still occur when someone flips a switch?

Unfortunately, yes.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 05:17:50 PM »
Strange... Are the speaker's cables near a wall?
FlameThink.com

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 05:34:59 PM »
Strange... Are the speaker's cables near a wall?

Mostly.  The cables have to go along a wall behind my desk to the Subwoofer, most of them have about 80% or more of the cable wrapped up back there.
It seems the popping trigger has gotten less sensitive since the move though.