Author Topic: M-18 Hellcat  (Read 1302 times)

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
Re: M-18 Hellcat
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 10:07:41 PM »
that sounds kool

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 01:06:01 AM »
Huummm... Paper tank with big cannon?

:noid

It be like bringing this into a Tiger/Panzer camped area.

-FYB
Most skill based sport? -
The sport of understanding women.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 07:57:00 AM »
Keep in mind a 50cal from a sniper rifle (same round/casing as from WW2, different gun) can penetrate 2 separate 1/2 in steel plates placed 3 feet from eath other, when the shot is fired from 1 mile away (specifically measured).

In closer? It's got even more punch.

Like I said, M16s could tear through the thing. It was the basic minimal armor to protect the crew, not to stop any rounds from any guns larger than those carried by foot soldiers.

Um... I'll do some digging on those stats (2 separate 1/2 in steel plates placed 3 feet apart), but I'm pretty sure it cant do that from 1 mile out.  With a special type of projectile (a step up from the typical FMJ or AP bullet), then perhaps.  Also, the .50 cal ammo in WWII is not the same that is being used today.  The propellant is different and the bullet is actually 5 gr lighter, meaning that today the .50 cal has a slighly less flash report and slightly higher velocity.

And... the idea of the M18 would not be to charge in and get within punching distance of an enemy tank (or auto/manned ack, or even M16 range), it would be to take on enemy tanks from as far away as possible with a good gun, high rate of fire (for a tank cannon anyways), and high menouverability (shoot-n-scoot). 

If the M16 can in fact take out the hull of a M18 from 1600 yards out, then even for M16 (or a wirby) to find the M18, get a bearing on it with its guns, get enough hits on it to do said dmg... isnt easy.  Anyone who would bring the M18 in close is just asking for trouble just as you mentioned in a prior post (close infanty support = a destroyed M18).   

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 09:15:38 AM »
Just as a comparison RE: M-18's turret getting knocked out; the only reference i can find off hand for the armor thickness of a Wirblewind's turret is 16mm.

We know how well that holds up in game.

Food for thought.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Skulls22

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 10:05:08 AM »
 Well, from what I know, the M-18 Hellcat had 1 inch of armor, but it was slanted enough to make it 2 inches. That's enough to stop a .50 cal and possibly a flacker :rock
(In game Sparty)
R.I.P. SASFRAS, may you return some day soon
<S>

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 10:11:04 AM »
Like an M8 with a 76mm Gun! :O Big Yes! :aok

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 10:13:14 AM »
Many reports of infantry calling up tank killers (M18s and the like) and the tank crews getting shot up by small arms and defended positions, because the infantry commanders giving the orders didn't know the difference -- they thought a tank was a tank.

They took a lot of losses that way, from what I've heard (heard this from a couple older documentaries and read comments similar to it as well).
They talk about these tanks holding off Tigers at the battle of the buldge..........seems like it would be just fine in a tank battle
Well, from what I know, the M-18 Hellcat had 1 inch of armor, but it was slanted enough to make it 2 inches. That's enough to stop a .50 cal and possibly a flacker :rock
ha M2 fires a round longer then an inch, you ever seen what they do in person? They have old tanks sitting at the range at Fort Benning and you dont see many rounds coming off of them
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 11:18:54 AM »
It is a very good suggestion and it would be an extraordinary addition to Heavy Metal Sunday.  This little tank buster would allow for rapid offense as well as defense.  It may not be able to stop a Tiger but I believe it could take out any of the other tanks if driven correctly.

+1

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 01:39:25 AM »
It is a very good suggestion and it would be an extraordinary addition to Heavy Metal Sunday.  This little tank buster would allow for rapid offense as well as defense.  It may not be able to stop a Tiger but I believe it could take out any of the other tanks if driven correctly.

+1
Ive heard rumors they had one or two of these with every couple of M4s(not the firefly) just for Tigers
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 02:49:50 AM »

Keep in mind a 50cal from a sniper rifle (same round/casing as from WW2, different gun) can penetrate 2 separate 1/2 in steel plates placed 3 feet from eath other, when the shot is fired from 1 mile away (specifically measured).

In closer? It's got even more punch.

Like I said, M16s could tear through the thing. It was the basic minimal armor to protect the crew, not to stop any rounds from any guns larger than those carried by foot soldiers.

Um... I'll do some digging on those stats (2 separate 1/2 in steel plates placed 3 feet apart), but I'm pretty sure it cant do that from 1 mile out. 

The 50 BMG is lucky to bust through 1/2 inch mild steel plate out past a few hundred meters.

Enjoy Krusty....

Note that the angle of impact severely effects the 50 Browning's penetration numbers. Also, look towards the lower left for authenticating these penetration numbers. Upon firing a few rounds at armored plate you would agree with this data. After test firing new tungsten rounds slated for the military I know I do....

<S> Strip
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 02:56:12 AM by Strip »

Offline Scotty55OEFVet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 01:47:10 PM »
I'd love to see a Yank TD in the game. The speed of the M-18 would open up a new dimension in the game.

Or what about the M26 Pershing Heavy battle tank?  I know it was late in entering the war, but then again so were a few other machines that are in AH2.
"War can only be abolished through war...in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun."

RedDevil

Offline slimmer

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2009, 09:27:25 PM »
 :aok
Member: Hot Soup Mafia -chokin chickin noodle
 Army of Muppets