Author Topic: Defining bad game-play  (Read 25602 times)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Re: Defining bad game-play
« Reply #645 on: May 02, 2009, 08:28:45 PM »
I respectfully disagree. If i rolled an IL2 from that field right then I would have killed them all within 10 deaths. Thats 5 minutes of suicidal HO shots to defend a base, score be damned. If you are not willing to put that small effort in then just move to another field without complaining about the game. IMO of course.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #646 on: May 02, 2009, 08:33:10 PM »
the lag when i clicked post the first time till i gave in and tried clicking a second time can be seen in the posting times. why do i have this double post curse recently?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 08:36:28 PM by mechanic »
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #647 on: May 02, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
It just happened to me too. It's the boards.
-AoM-

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #648 on: May 02, 2009, 08:39:42 PM »
I have no idea, But 44 pages of CHIT, there must be something here in a thread

Back to listening to tool, the band (schism fits here)  :rock

Meanwhile back at the bat cave, all your base belong to me.  :D
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #649 on: May 02, 2009, 11:04:34 PM »
so you might say if you play smart and don't stay in the fight to the end no matter what than that's poor game play...? 

Yes, I think that's what some of us are saying.

- oldman

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #650 on: May 02, 2009, 11:23:38 PM »
I've done both, and it takes no more courage to fight like a rabid ground squirrel than it does to "fly to live". In fact, it may take more courage to do the latter...if you don't go into it with any expectation of survival, you're never disappointed. :devil
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #651 on: May 02, 2009, 11:34:23 PM »
I've done both, and it takes no more courage to fight like a rabid ground squirrel than it does to "fly to live". In fact, it may take more courage to do the latter...if you don't go into it with any expectation of survival, you're never disappointed. :devil

For me, flying to live (while rare for me, the living part anyway) is much more immersive.  In fact, I really enjoy FSO because it provides a very interesting adrenalin rush after flying in formation for a few sectors knowing that if I get killed I won't be able to re-up immediately.  It's far far more exciting and satisfying then anything that happens in the MA.  This next tour, I've decided to try and fly in the MA more like I am in the FSO, regardless of score or whatever.  I'm hoping to capture that FSO thrill as much as possible in the MA.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #652 on: May 03, 2009, 12:13:46 AM »
BnZ - Courage (as much as there might be in a video game) is the ability to control fear in a dangerous or difficult situation.. Now, which is more dangerous and difficult.. Stacking the odds on your side and risking as little as possible, or finding perilous odds?  Which of these two is fighting like a rabid ground squirrel and which is flying to live?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #653 on: May 03, 2009, 12:52:28 AM »
As simple as it can be put:

No one really dies, planes are free.  Might as well fight!
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #654 on: May 03, 2009, 01:08:53 AM »
No one really dies, planes are free.  Might as well fight!

Agreed.  But...  Why ridicule those who want to try and relive what it is was like not to have endless lives? 

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #655 on: May 03, 2009, 01:18:22 AM »
When even within the constraints of the game, they fly nothing like someone who doesn't have endless lives would.  If you could be more specific...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 01:20:05 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #656 on: May 03, 2009, 01:29:37 AM »
When even within the constraints of the game, they fly nothing like someone who doesn't have endless lives would.  If you could be more specific...

Wow...  Apparently you are perfectly comfortable providing "supreme" definitions...  I guess I should just give up any arguement, seeing how you are absolutely incapable of even the slightest consideration that your are wrong.

I guess we just need to establish the MooT rule set, then we can proceed from there, eh?

Whatever...

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #657 on: May 03, 2009, 01:36:34 AM »
Agreed.  But...  Why ridicule those who want to try and relive what it is was like not to have endless lives? 

It's silly because the majorities generally don't care if they die.  It's just not realistic to pretend you are Erich Hartmann when all your opponents have endless lives and intend to use them.  If everyone flew to not die putting forth zero risk(irony in itself), it would be a constant tug o war match to get the upper hand in fights.  Everyone would be flying at 30k in hordes playing cat and mouse with other hordes.  That's why.  

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #658 on: May 03, 2009, 01:38:39 AM »
BnZ - Courage (as much as there might be in a video game) is the ability to control fear in a dangerous or difficult situation.. Now, which is more dangerous and difficult.. Stacking the odds on your side and risking as little as possible, or finding perilous odds?  Which of these two is fighting like a rabid ground squirrel and which is flying to live?

But...there is no fear. Occasional chagrin and annoyance at my own incompetence is about as close as it gets.

I can easily go into a thick furball with a turny cannon bird and get several kills,  almost every time. Most can. Works well if you're interested in score too, 'cause it results in positive k/d+good k/t, k/s, and hit%. Trying to fly something maybe not so lethal, and maybe get a few kills, and maybe come out the other end and RTB alive, that put more factors into the equation.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #659 on: May 03, 2009, 01:40:30 AM »
 If everyone flew to not die putting forth zero risk(irony in itself), it would be a constant tug o war match to get the upper hand in fights.  Everyone would be flying at 30k in hordes playing cat and mouse with other hordes.  That's why.  

No, because the call of the kill and aggression and testosterone more than balances out any concern for a cartoon death. It requires immense restraint to *not* go in fangs-out hair afire against every bandit.

EDIT: My attitude is not the one that led to a big bite of my own foot by calling someone who made a living landing jet fighters on a boat "timid"....that says something IMHO.

FURTHER EDIT: Are you guys really THAT pissed off when someone bugs out? Because, let me tell you, when someone does it to me I generally know why they were going to do it...I was about to shoot large chunks away from their airplane. Doesn't make me mad enough to throw my headset across the room or anything.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 01:45:17 AM by BnZs »