Author Topic: Why not Gliders?  (Read 1719 times)

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Re: Why not Gliders?
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2009, 01:03:23 PM »
I think the gliders would be hard to implement, since they would have to be towed.

Having them spawn (like gv's do) would eliminate the need to tow them.  I think they'd be a neat addition to deliver troops and supplies.  I think they'd need to spawn far enough away from the base, and at a high enough altitude to make them challenging, hazardous, etc...

I don't know that they could be used to deliver other vehicles, I think that's a tough one to code.  But who knows...
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2009, 02:42:38 PM »
Having them spawn (like gv's do) would eliminate the need to tow them.  I think they'd be a neat addition to deliver troops and supplies.  I think they'd need to spawn far enough away from the base, and at a high enough altitude to make them challenging, hazardous, etc...

That brings a whole new meaning to spawn camping  :t
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2009, 03:08:47 PM »
That brings a whole new meaning to spawn camping  :t

Hehe, devious minds think alike...

They'd be a cross between a neat addition tactically, and candy falling from the sky.  I envision an AH version of an open-water feeding frenzy.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2009, 06:35:36 AM »
Ju 52's were used very frequently for towing gliders.
Was the standard plane to tow the DFS 230.

(Image removed from quote.)

Didn't know that! Wish I could delete my post :)
Thanks for the info

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2009, 10:23:16 AM »
:aok
+1 doesn't seem right shooting that c47 down all the time.

As for the glider. If it would roll down a hill, and takeoff im in.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 10:26:08 AM by crazyivan »
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline Whitey33

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2009, 11:08:36 AM »
For example: Ju-52 and glider (2 pilots) can bring 2xtroops to target but they have to gain altitude.  2xC47´s can do the same, but they can approach under darbar level. Even if radar was down, due to icon range gliders can be seen too far.

Maybe if gliders icon range was shorter, like gv´s? JU-52 towing glider up enough, release it and dives down and continues NOE as backup troops or supplies. It will give little more changes to glider to survive by avoiding enemy fighters. Of course it works only if radar was down.

Just thinking...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 11:33:45 AM by Whitey33 »
www.ilmavoimat.fi/index_en.php  Finnish Air Force

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2009, 12:22:39 PM »
would gliders made of wood and cloth even have a dar signature?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2009, 01:22:58 PM »
Gliders would not be a bad idea if there were ridge currents and thermals and wave lift modeled. I dont think you really want that to happen though... really.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2009, 02:49:12 PM »
                                                                                                                                                                                                             Pickers Playground
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline groundfeeder

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2009, 07:11:26 PM »
Now Now,Imagine something slower than a goon with shoot me stripes!!!!!!!!
I am up for it!!

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2009, 08:21:38 PM »
The only thing gliders would be good for is if you put one in the game that could carry a large tank like the Tiger. They could also carry any of the smaller vehicles like the halftracks or the amphibious vehivles. The ability to drop a Tiger any where within bomber range (they would have to tow the gliders) would be invaluable but would throw off the whole ground combat aspect of the game as it is very tough to kill :cry.  Other than that a glider is essentialy a C47 that is outa gas and if you fail to take the base you will be killed. And glider borne infintry had a high casulty rate in Op.Market Garden as many crashed in forests killing most if not all of the troops in the glider, plus some droped short, others landed in enemy teritory, some even landed in Germany unless I got the location or borders wrong. :pray
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2009, 05:21:52 AM »
others landed in enemy teritory, some even landed in Germany unless I got the location or borders wrong. :pray(Image removed from quote.)

I recall ALL of them landed in enemy territory, that's what they were meant to do in the first place.

Why land a glider in friendly territory?