Author Topic: The SpitXIV conundrum  (Read 4657 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: The SpitXIV conundrum
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2009, 08:16:21 PM »
I don't see any post from HTC in that thread bubi.  It's a matter of will, not possibility.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2009, 12:05:57 PM »
I don't see any post from HTC in that thread bubi.  It's a matter of will, not possibility.

I spoke to HT about it about 2 years ago.

It wasn't possible to do under the system in place at the time. Something to do with requiring multiple FMs if I remember correctly.

Maybe now, I don't know.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2009, 01:25:24 AM »
Nice web site on the Wings of the spitfires look at part 1 & 2 under "Concise Guide To Spitfire Wing Types" . It states that the clipped wings started with the Mk V. And I think in the C wing it was designed with room for 2 hispanos in each wing.

http://www.spitfiresite.com/reference/variants-technology/
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 01:28:59 AM by Cajunn »
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline JETBLST

• Copper Member
« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2009, 10:29:19 AM »
Getting er back um on topic here.  I say no to perking the Spit 16.  For only one reason.  It lets those new to fighters have one good fighter to learn in when they have minimal or no fighter perks.  AS fighter perks are very hard to come by.  If you perk it how would a new fighter pilot get the perks to fly said ride?  Unless there is some perk pharming method I don't know about to get fighter perkies.

IF THERE IS

please do tell?  Huh?   :lol

I think that for starting off learning in fighters the Spixteen is the best out there period.  After getting a feel for fighter tactics with it, then go fly something very hard for a month.  FWA8 for example.  The 109 series.   Then come back to Spxteen and see your improvements.  It's pretty cool.

Thanks.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2009, 10:44:18 AM »
The spit16 is a 5 ENY fighter and so not really what new players (except the literally brand new ones maybe) ought to farm with.  The next worse fighters (ENY 10) mean twice the perks per kill, and not exactly twice as hard to kill with.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2009, 01:05:48 PM »
Getting er back um on topic here.  I say no to perking the Spit 16.  For only one reason.  It lets those new to fighters have one good fighter to learn in when they have minimal or no fighter perks.  AS fighter perks are very hard to come by.  If you perk it how would a new fighter pilot get the perks to fly said ride?  Unless there is some perk pharming method I don't know about to get fighter perkies.

IF THERE IS

I think that for starting off learning in fighters the Spixteen is the best out there period.  After getting a feel for fighter tactics with it, then go fly something very hard for a month.  FWA8 for example.  The 109 series.   Then come back to Spxteen and see your improvements.  It's pretty cool.

Thanks.

I really don't think the spit 16 is the best to be learning in, I would think that the Spit 5,8 or 9 would be a little better suited in this role. And if Learning Air combat is the point your trying to make then I'm positive that the 5,8 and 9 or better because they can be a little more forgiving and have higher ENY's (except for maybe the spit 8) if your interested in building up perk points, with the spit 5 being the better choice for this.
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2009, 04:55:27 PM »

I really don't think the spit 16 is the best to be learning in, I would think that the Spit 5,8 or 9 would be a little better suited in this role. And if Learning Air combat is the point your trying to make then I'm positive that the 5,8 and 9 or better because they can be a little more forgiving and have higher ENY's (except for maybe the spit 8) if your interested in building up perk points, with the spit 5 being the better choice for this.

I would say spit 9 is the best at perk farming. It's very good fighter which is easy to fly and has an ENY of 20. So for new pilots who wish to learn ACM and get perks I think spit 9 is the best idea.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2009, 10:31:33 PM »
Jet, this thread actually started off as a request to lower the perk price on the SpitXIV, but, since you brought the issue up:

One of the best, if not THE best rides to give new guys a chance would be the F4U-4. It can turn with almost everything, can run with or out-run almost everything, rolls well, handles gently for the most part, has 30 seconds of .50 cals to learn aiming with, and can take a hit or three if the noob doesn't have his defense down pat...lets unperk it right now to flatten the learning. On second thought, let's not. Thus is demonstrated the utter absurdity debating the perkability of a fighter in terms of how much flying it would benefit new guys. Anyway, the noobs will just be hunted by vets in these same fighters, so no net advantage is gained.

IF THERE IS

Thanks.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2009, 11:14:57 PM »
Check the context here... The 16 is worth having unperked in part because it's a good noob ride, and because it's a good noob ride in the context of the rest of the planeset.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline JETBLST

• Copper Member
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »
Ya what moot said!  hehehe :)

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2009, 04:13:40 AM »
and the spit14 is definitely NOT the noob ride. One more reason to unperk it...hell unperk it for 2 weeks see how it goes !
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 28, 2009, 06:49:25 AM »
WHen the TA-152H was still perked, it had very similar kill numbers, but a substantial higher K/D than the Spitfire XIV. But both planes were far away from all the other perk planes, both in usage & success (K/D). Both suffered (and still do) from similar stability problems, though the Spit is even far more difficult to handle
When the 152 was finally unperked, I was amazed they didn't do the same with the XIV.
Since then, the TA has indeed become more popular, but unperking it didn't result in flooding the arena with 152's either.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: April 28, 2009, 08:33:29 AM »
WHen the TA-152H was still perked, it had very similar kill numbers, but a substantial higher K/D than the Spitfire XIV. But both planes were far away from all the other perk planes, both in usage & success (K/D). Both suffered (and still do) from similar stability problems, though the Spit is even far more difficult to handle
When the 152 was finally unperked, I was amazed they didn't do the same with the XIV.
Since then, the TA has indeed become more popular, but unperking it didn't result in flooding the arena with 152's either.

The Ta-152 at typical MA alts can be beaten in at least one area of turn performance by everything slower than it, and by several things *not* slower than it, is not a superb climber or accelerator, and carries the mixed blessing of German cannon.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 28, 2009, 08:45:41 AM »
Yes, and?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: April 28, 2009, 08:47:53 AM »
Check the context here... The 16 is worth having unperked in part because it's a good noob ride, and because it's a good noob ride in the context of the rest of the planeset.

?
Moot, I'm sorry, I see a bunch of words strung together, but I fail to see ANY meaning to them. The 16 is advantaged as a dogfighter over conservatively 75% of the plane set, so sure, it will be easier for the noob to survive in the MA with, vs. say a Fw-190 A-5. But the F4U-4 turns as well as the Spixteen and can also catch darn near everything, is tougher, and gives a longer firing time with easy-to-aim guns, so it would be an even better as far as advantageous rides for the inexperienced go. So sorry, the "need advantaged planes for noobs" argument falls flat on its face, especially considering that there is no mechanism to limit the use of these planes to *only* noobs.

I tell you what the problem is. Most people are used to running into amazingly unskilled pilots in Spit16s. And half of even the usually well-informed forum population appears to be ignorant of its qualities relative other aircraft in the set at typical MA alts. We have individuals devoted to status quo-ism for whatever reason. Perhaps there are other individuals who from either ignorance or obstinancy refuse to admit that the SpitXVI out-classes their ride pilot for pilot at typical MA alts. So you end up with a situation where people formulate arguments against the perking of the SpitXVI without even knowing its top speed relative other aircraft (!!!), and when proven ignorant of such basic knowledge of what makes a fighter formidable, such as thrust/weight and turn-rate, they then give you hogwash about noobs "needing" whatever plane they don't want perked.