Author Topic: Defining good gameplay  (Read 6517 times)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: Defining good gameplay
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2009, 09:55:46 AM »
Good post Mechanic.  I am an optimist at heart and I wholeheartedly agree with the need to recognize the best of Aces High.

:salute
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2009, 10:46:58 AM »
Putting together a fighter sweep in the MA, and flying in a way that leaves you with little chance of death, no matter how organized or planned out just sounds lame to me. Maby not ever getting shot at is fun for you, but it's not for me. The only tactic that matters IMO is how do i get my nose behind your tail.
    Typically the ones who find the most success in this game, are the ones who don't need to rely on others, and can get themselves out of any situation.

Total rubbish. That must be a very lonely way to play aceshigh in the MA. I'm sad for anyone who thinks like this.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2009, 10:59:59 AM »
Flying with buddies
loafing about..
getting serious if need be
respecting your enemy
always learning
giving 6 calls
HAVING FUN
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2009, 11:50:42 AM »

Total rubbish. That must be a very lonely way to play aceshigh in the MA. I'm sad for anyone who thinks like this.

Well he's from the muppets, not a very team oriented type squad. They can be found flying in 2-3 diff countries cannibalizing each other across the map. They normally just fly for themselves as far as I can tell... a loner squad I guess you could say. They're not really here to help anyone or try and improve game play but when they do hook up they can be devastating. At those times you'll normally find them on ch 200 posting insults and taunting remarks. Not exactly a good game play type squad hence the "you ought to be playing command and Conquer' statement. It's obvious he's got his own ideas of how it should be done and your right, it is a lonely way to play but he is good.

After making these statements, which i believe to be true, you can expect more Muppets to enter and the bashing will start. It's one of the few times you'll see them really come together.... here on the boards.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2009, 11:59:46 AM »
LOL  What a great tactical move by A8TOOL.  A totally inaccurate description from biased anecdotic evidence all wrapped up in self-excusing prediction that any following comments from said squad would be to bash him. 
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2009, 12:02:42 PM »

Muppets...They're not really here to help anyone

This is libelous crap.  Muppets are continuously trying to help others and never turn down requests for help. Muppets are frequently contacted with training requests and spend much time in the DA/TA instructing people who  want to learn. Agent has  posted films for instructional purposes. So has moot and others. All of us frequently get ride along requests and we always oblige, patiently explaining things and answering questions.

For myself, I often get PM's as well, asking for advice/tips on flying the 51. I answer them all and explain as thoroughly as I am able. I lurk on the boards and offer my advise whenever I can.

You are way out of line, Tool.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 12:04:13 PM by Steve »
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2009, 12:08:40 PM »
Using furballers to take bases so i can hear them complain. :lol

A friendly attitude toward other players

Tries to not talk smack even if they deserve it... A rule I hold everywhere but in the DA

Help others in any way you can

Give Salute or some other form of congrats on a GOOD fight that's either won, or lost.....I forget to do this sometimes

Don't run from 1v1's

Don't fly at 20k looking to pick then once engauged run to deck for ack or cover.

Try to fight till dead, ...out of ammo, ...fuel or just damaged so bad it makes no sense to continue. I got a good score and don't work hard to get it. I hardly ever land proving that running from fights won't increase your skill or score.

:aok :rock :salute
"Where ever you go, there you are".
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2009, 12:21:09 PM »

Well he's from the muppets, not a very team oriented type squad. They can be found flying in 2-3 diff countries cannibalizing each other across the map. They normally just fly for themselves as far as I can tell... a loner squad I guess you could say. They're not really here to help anyone or try and improve game play but when they do hook up they can be devastating. At those times you'll normally find them on ch 200 posting insults and taunting remarks. Not exactly a good game play type squad hence the "you ought to be playing command and Conquer' statement. It's obvious he's got his own ideas of how it should be done and your right, it is a lonely way to play but he is good.

After making these statements, which i believe to be true, you can expect more Muppets to enter and the bashing will start. It's one of the few times you'll see them really come together.... here on the boards.

Sunfan's comment may have been out of line, but to take his post (opinion) and lay it across the total "Muppet" squad, or any squad for that matter, was way off base.

Muppets as a "whole" are a fine squad and a fine bunch of guys.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2009, 01:06:02 PM »
I hardly ever see anything like this in the MA, in fact if you don't want anyone to join a mission just post one labeled "fighter sweep" mission sans ords, goons, or other aspects of land-grabbery. Most of the group efforts are about bombing/smash grabbing the surprised into oblivion, not controlling the airspace.

Putting together a fighter sweep in the MA, and flying in a way that leaves you with little chance of death, no matter how organized or planned out just sounds lame to me. Maby not ever getting shot at is fun for you, but it's not for me. The only tactic that matters IMO is how do i get my nose behind your tail.
    Typically the ones who find the most success in this game, are the ones who don't need to rely on others, and can get themselves out of any situation.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2009, 01:27:31 PM »
-AoM-

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2009, 01:39:20 PM »
 :lol
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2009, 02:28:10 PM »
Being this thread is about good game play, I would have alot more fun if the collective skill level went up. The only way to get better is by getting shot at, You wont get shot at as much during a sweep, simple.

Even if we did fly the way your describing,(couldn't be farther from the truth) you can't argue that what we do has made us better that you will ever be at this game, so quit bashing success.
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline FALCONWING

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2009, 02:47:22 PM »
I like the multifaceted aspects of this game....when I quit having fun I log off and do something else...I like the fact that the creators of this game allow human nature to shape different scenarios every night even if the maps etc dont change.  I like being ganged in a 3-4 v 1 because it feels so good to survive it. 

I really like hunting the ch 200 mouths who perch up high and pad their k/d's while taunting others...that is my only guilty pleasure that is not helping my development as a human being  :t
SECRET ANTI-BBS BULLY CLUB

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2009, 03:45:44 PM »
Just playing devil's advocate here.. These are all examples, not a definition.  What is gameplay, and what makes it good rather than bad?

I think AH people generally fall into two categories:  those who view it as a sport, and those who view it as a simulation.  I fall into the first group, and so, for me, very personally, good game play is good sportsmanship rather than good simulation.  Consequently I value pleasant conversation, balanced fights, and fair play in general.  (I occasionally stumble, usually when the simulators have incensed me, which is hard to do.)

Those from the simulation camp will correctly note that these values do not accuratly portray WWII aerial combat.  I respond that this is so, but combat for pleasure,  P-51 v P-51 fights, take-an-airfield-with-10-soldiers captures, and war-without-death are hardly accurate, either.

- oldman 

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2009, 04:23:59 PM »
Would you believe me if I told you I take the sim part as a sport?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you