Author Topic: Defining good gameplay  (Read 6528 times)

Offline j500ss

• Nickel Member
Re: Defining good gameplay
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2009, 05:20:08 PM »
I've looked at it as:  Those who play for score and rank, and those who play for sport and fun. Those who play for score/rank..........well you figure it out, they will do anything to get the kill right away it seems, you know immediately who's who @ first merge.

For the most part I've really never had a GOOD fight versus someone who, from all indications is playing for score. On the other hand, I've had what I would consider to be, some of my best flying against those who are willing to put some effort into it, get on your 6 and shoot ya down.

Overall I would say about 30-40 % of the time I find the good fights, the rest I just take with a grain of salt and move on.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2009, 05:29:16 PM »
P-51 v P-51 fights, take-an-airfield-with-10-soldiers captures, and war-without-death are hardly accurate, either.

- oldman 

That is not another USAAF P-51 I'm fighting....its a Me-209/Secret German prototype, etc...

It works if you squint your eyes and believe hard enough.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2009, 05:29:58 PM »
 Liked your post Jdog. I see the 'grains of salt' as people i can vulch, ho, ram and cherry pick without remorse and do so accordingly. It's so much fun.
 Honour in a dogfight is something i recognise when it is there. When the sentiment of the hour is purely my death or yours by any means, I'm adapting to it and getting on top of it before they give me a chance to have something to feel annoyed about.  
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2009, 06:03:27 PM »
Honour in a dogfight is something i recognise when it is there. When the sentiment of the hour is purely my death or yours by any means, I'm adapting to it and getting on top of it before they give me a chance to have something to feel annoyed about. 

You know, I normally refrain from that even when faced with it but...  Yesterday I upped an Emil for fun at furball island and ended up on the deck with a 51D and a 1A, two planes that completely outclass me, and I ended up  taking a HO from the Hog.  I upped my little Emil again and the only thing better than watching that Hog spiral to the ground after I shot him in the face was getting the PM that said "Nice HO". :)
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2009, 06:12:53 PM »
stimulation ..... any form that takes
<<S>> to my foes that make that possible....(thats where fun lies ).....whatever the out come
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2009, 06:36:14 PM »

Well he's from the muppets, not a very team oriented type squad. They can be found flying in 2-3 diff countries cannibalizing each other across the map. They normally just fly for themselves as far as I can tell... a loner squad I guess you could say. They're not really here to help anyone or try and improve game play but when they do hook up they can be devastating. At those times you'll normally find them on ch 200 posting insults and taunting remarks. Not exactly a good game play type squad hence the "you ought to be playing command and Conquer' statement. It's obvious he's got his own ideas of how it should be done and your right, it is a lonely way to play but he is good.

After making these statements, which i believe to be true, you can expect more Muppets to enter and the bashing will start. It's one of the few times you'll see them really come together.... here on the boards.

lol. load of rubish.  Jeez, I must be entering bashing mode because I am replying to a post full of poo.

Aside from tools attempt to hijack this thread............

Ganked from wiki.......Gameplay includes all player experiences during the interaction with game systems, especially formal games.

As for what makes gameplay good....I would say players interacting in the game as intended by the developers without exploitation and in a fashion that allows for fair gameplay and a reasonable chance for all parties to succeed.  Apart from playing within the boundaries, good gameplay should also include a sense of sportsmanship, enjoyable atmosphere between players, and a willingness between competing players to actively participate within the game as intended.

What I enjoy in AH....good fights, small or large, with friends.  everything else is a far far second place.

-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2009, 07:04:12 PM »
Muppets are frequently contacted with training requests and spend much time in the DA/TA instructing people who  want to learn. Agent has  posted films for instructional purposes. So has moot and others.

For myself, I often get PM's as well, asking for advice/tips on flying the 51. I answer them all and explain as thoroughly as I am able. I lurk on the boards and offer my advise whenever I can. (Thanks   :aok)

You are way out of line, Tool.

Sorry Steve, It's was an observation and was commenting only on Sunfans quote giving my best guess/opinion as to why he might say that.

When I said "They're not really here to help anyone " I was referring to base takes, strategic jabo/fighter sweeps and group type efforts ect.  There is no doubt a few of you are very willing to help in the way of training and many appreciate that... some greatly.

These are things that do improve game play and I wish I would have struck that part of the sentence and rephrased the rest.

Furballers, Dog Fighters and Cherry Pickers are words used in your avatar's to describe who you are as a group. It's no secret that the muppets could care less about base taking or flying together as a group.  As I said though, when you do get together your devastating.

:salute

Edit: The rest stays... heheh
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 07:10:56 PM by A8TOOL »

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2009, 09:45:21 PM »

. It's no secret that the muppets could care less about base taking or flying together as a group. 

Well this is largely correct. We do some stuff that is team play as a biproduct of the way we like to play, though. Often we fly into the hordes and this means a lot of base defense. I only sometimes up from a capped base but the other muppets do it with frequency. Sure, our motivation is to get in fights but it does amount to base defense and thereby, team play.  Of course, mission busting is always fun!

Consider this: While we may not be running buffs and goons, we still do our small part to help the team by flying into the biggest concentration of bad guys we can find(yes, with questionable results lol)

Sure we have our warts: some of us, including me, blow smoke on 200 too much sometimes. I don't blow smoke on 200 for some noble purpose like others, I whine. Hey, I'm flawed. What can I say?    :D

You may not believe this but: I do run supplies now and then.... once in a rare while when I happen to be down and the call comes. Shawk would vouch for me were he to read this. Also, I love to go after bombers. Technically, isn't this team play?   :salute

As I said though, when you do get together your devastating.
  Thank you.    :aok
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 09:47:40 PM by Steve »
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2009, 10:36:18 PM »
You know, I normally refrain from that even when faced with it but...  Yesterday I upped an Emil for fun at furball island and ended up on the deck with a 51D and a 1A, two planes that completely outclass me, and I ended up  taking a HO from the Hog.  I upped my little Emil again and the only thing better than watching that Hog spiral to the ground after I shot him in the face was getting the PM that said "Nice HO". :)

:lol
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2009, 10:37:47 PM »
 :rofl That made my day.
Strokes

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2009, 05:18:34 AM »

Consider this: While we may not be running buffs and goons,

You're apologizing for this? I think y'all ought to get some sort of good behavior medal for it. :devil "For bravely swimming against the tide and daring to play the game of AHII as if it was about combat between airplanes and vehicles", etc.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2009, 09:10:14 AM »
I was bish at tank town last night and I was witness to lots of crappy game play.  There was much ganging, hoing, picking, and running. 

But there were a couple bright spots in the wee hours of the morning...

At one point in time TT suddenly turned into a ghost town, it was just Scotch and myself on bish and Strong10 on the rooks and we got to get a couple good 1v1's in. 

Then a bunch of bish upped and headed over to the rook field and a bunch of rooks upped to defend and it turned into a big cluster you know what, then the rooks moved over our field in force.  I figured since I was going to get gangbanged by spixteens that I might as well try and earn some perks for my frustration and upped an Emil and grabbed out to the north.  I tried skirting the fight to lure just one guy out away from the pack and a Spit8 came my way, went a couple turns, then dove back into the fray and I stayed high.  I noticed a con coming in from the extreme north on radar and went to check it out, it was someone in a Jug coming to pork our field and he just went on past so I followed him back to the field.  By this time the rook herd was getting kinda thin and I managed to get a Spit16 isolated and down him.  By the time he was down there was only one spit left and my bro 8spade was on him.  DMACE was moving in to jump on the Spit but Spade called him off and he obliged, and in a few seconds the Spit was down and our airspace was clear.  Even though I was out of cannon I wasn't satisfied with just one kill and had about 1800 little bb's left so I started grabbing toward the middle of the island.  Dead center of the island I found a Mossie more or less co-alt and he engaged me.  I quickly got him saddled when DMACE called that he was coming to help.  I don't use vox so when I saw a brief opening I typed "I got him" on range and ACE acknowledged my call off.  Spade repeated over range vox for others to stay out and the Mossie and I spiraled down to the deck while I was sandblasting his paint off with my MG's.  Once we got to the deck the Mossie was out of alt and options so he  headed straight for his V-Base ack.  Spade called out "Oh man now he's gonna ack drag you".  I was committed to the kill one way or another so I followed him in.  Now here's the highlight of my evening, one of the other guys, either DMACE or Slayya said "I'll take care of that".  And while I followed the Mossie around in his ack spraying bb's wildly across the sky they dove in and deacked the field so I could finish him in peace!
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2009, 05:45:16 PM »
An intangible feeling of suspense.  A rush of adrenaline from a good fight.

The example in mind was a series of three or four 1v1s in quick succession just off a friendly field.  I was in a Spit VIII.  Dano, of Army of Muppets, was in a 109G-14.

I went in thinking that the Spit was obviously superior.  Dano schooled me in low speed scissors, killing me two or three times.  I finally prevailed on my nth attempt, probably after he was out of cannon.

Salute to Dano for hanging around, and for his high level of proficiency in the 109G-14.

Honorable mention to a new player and new squad mate, Arson, for complying with my request to stay out of the fight in his P-51.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2009, 07:18:42 PM »
I HATE suspense. I love the smug calm certainty of "the poor gomer never stood a chance". Only reason my incredibly lazy self practices as much as I do is to make the outcome more certain in more situations.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2009, 07:21:02 PM »
I love suspense ina good fight but if I can avoid it and just kill them quickly I will do. Talking furballs or horde fights i mean.