Author Topic: Why are all of us teenagers called "immature"?  (Read 1945 times)

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
Why are all of us teenagers called "immature"?
« on: October 15, 2001, 11:39:00 AM »
For the 2nd time in a month I have seen yet another whiner labeled as a sniviling kid who has nothing better to do than whine. What? Are we all to assume that every single teenager in the AH universe is nothing but a trouble maker? Are we to assume that this game isn't ment for teenagers or kids? You do realize that not all of the teenagers in the MA are immature little brats? I was once refused access to a squad because they thought I wasn't mature enough and all I would do is cause trouble. I for one am tired of getting labeled as an immature person only because I am 16. I am pretty sure there are others here in the same boat. I am sure others have been kicked from squads on basis of age. I'm sure others have been chastized in the MA for their age.

When will it end? Why is it that us teenagers are always pushed around? Last I checked this wasn't just an adults game (maybe if you want to get into one of the FBD's latrine parties, but that is different.  :) ) I for one am tired of being called immature just because of my age. I have seen plenty of adults who are more immature than I could ever be.

Offline FDisk

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2001, 11:51:00 AM »
They're jealous that the cynical world has made them complacent

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2001, 11:52:00 AM »
I don't think all of us do, I invited a fellow named "Oct" onto my squadron about a year ago..this guy was a team player. He's now a Major of one of the flights we have in VMF-323...for the longest time I *thought* of him as, 25-35...turns out he's in (or was when i recruited him) in highschool!  Attitude is 90% of presentation!

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2001, 11:56:00 AM »
That's interesting Rip. I remember the look on your face the first time you met me... you thought I was 16 LOL!!

MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2001, 11:57:00 AM »
The attitude of a few dictates the classification of many.
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Pollock

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2001, 11:58:00 AM »
Mark You lied to us LOL.
The 56th does not age discriminate.

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2001, 12:18:00 PM »
I've never asked someone's age when asking them to join our squadron - and there are still a few of them who I have no idea what their age is, but of those I do know, we range from me, the young'n at 25, to a couple guys that are 40 - 50... it is attitude and shared interest that we have in common - and we have a great time.  The internet can eliminate alot of those social distinctions - which is cool, because it gives people the opportunity to be who they are, and not what they are - age aside, how you act is how you are perceived.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2001, 12:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mark Luper:
That's interesting Rip. I remember the look on your face the first time you met me... you thought I was 16 LOL!!

That was a case of mistaken "handle" identity, nothing to do with your personality. hehe.!

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2001, 12:28:00 PM »
Semperfi, all the guys I've seen get called those things have earned it.

Northolt Wing does not age-discriminate.  We have had three high-schoolers in our ranks at one time or another.

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2001, 12:35:00 PM »
Um. hormones and experience.  Like any community, this one has unwritten rules of socialization.  Experience in similar situations give the older folks more of an edge (maturity).  Lack of hormone overload also means we have the ability to keep our mouth shut until we determine what those rules are.  And, yeah, nobody gets it perfectly, and some folks never get it.  But that's why younger members get labelled as immature.  Most of them either learn pretty quick or leave.  Unfortunately, some of them stay that way until retirement.

[ 10-15-2001: Message edited by: Dinger ]

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2001, 12:51:00 PM »
Because all the adults acting like children gave the teenagers a bad rep.
-SW

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2001, 12:58:00 PM »
I wish I was a teenager again... I'd of dated all those "unpopular" chicks that are now pretty damn good looking.

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2001, 01:12:00 PM »
texace, immature is not a bad thing.  It is a simple fact of life.  Some do use it in the context of reflecting negative ideas towards people, and this is just a misuse of the word.
Maturity comes from life experiences, which can only really be had with time.
I know a lot of young people I have more respect for than thier older counterparts.  The generalization that all young people act badly, which is what we are really talking about, is just that, a generalization.

The key component is respect.  Respect is either shown or not shown.  This is irregardless of age.  Everyone has thier own ideas about it.  I will always show respect to others until someone gives me a reason not to respect them, then I usually just leave them be, as I reallly do not like people that cannot show respect to others.

Sometimes, as you get older, you can learn to respect others,..then there are those that never get it.  Some are taught, like me, to have respect for others from the beginning of memory.

Virtually all generations go through what you are talking about.  I think most of us went through a period in our youth where we thought we knew it all.  You really do not realize how little you know until you get older and look back.  It is human nature.

Just remember, respect can be given, but then has to be kept.  The latter is the tough part.  Do not worry about what generalizations are made about young people.  If you do not fit those, then it will show on its own.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Loyalist

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2001, 01:12:00 PM »
rofl, bat.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2001, 01:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by batdog:
I wish I was a teenager again... I'd of dated all those "unpopular" chicks that are now pretty damn good looking.

xBAT

ROTFLOL!!!