Author Topic: Myth: SpitXVI is "slow"  (Read 14646 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: Myth: SpitXVI is "slow"
« Reply #375 on: May 15, 2009, 01:14:17 AM »
I don't know, but it's the least I expect, even if it's attempted poorly.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #376 on: May 15, 2009, 02:33:17 AM »
So you agree with him when he says he was wrong to say the spit16 can be outrun by most planes in the game?

You agree it can NOT be escaped from when you're in most other planes in the game?

No.  Unless it's a really good stick, losing a 16, even in a 38G just isn't that tough.  If you mean outrunning it?  Why would you want to?  Use the Spit 16 pilot's speed against him :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #377 on: May 15, 2009, 05:45:58 AM »
Whoever said there has to be one plane thats arguably the best non perked has a point. I would say from the point of view of the less skilled we have Spit 16, LA 7 and Nikki all pretty close.

Then:

KI84
sPIT 8,9 Seafire
Yak
etc

Perk the 16 and you will see more LA7's is for sure.

Is that what people really want  :uhoh :lol :D 

« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 06:20:31 AM by Yarbles »
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #378 on: May 15, 2009, 08:44:57 AM »
Admin pwnt ftw! :aok

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #379 on: May 15, 2009, 09:42:33 AM »
Use the Tempest's or F4U-4's speed against them. They have more speed so it should be easier, right? :devil

No.  Unless it's a really good stick, losing a 16, even in a 38G just isn't that tough.  If you mean outrunning it?  Why would you want to?  Use the Spit 16 pilot's speed against him :)
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #380 on: May 15, 2009, 09:48:53 AM »
Appeal to authority + appeal to ridicule = non-logical persuasion.
You do not seem to know what an "appeal to authority" is.  Go read up on it, then come back.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #381 on: May 15, 2009, 09:50:39 AM »
Actually, the less-skilled apparently consider the P-51D of all things the best plane, if we are going by numbers. Perhaps we should dismiss the POV of the less-skilled if we want to consider the planes rationally.

Whoever said there has to be one plane thats arguably the best non perked has a point. I would say from the point of view of the less skilled we have Spit 16, LA 7 and Nikki all pretty close.

Then:

KI84
sPIT 8,9 Seafire
Yak
etc

Perk the 16 and you will see more LA7's is for sure.

Is that what people really want  :uhoh :lol :D 

It is doubtful that most SpitXVI pilots will prefer the Lala. The difficulties with the guns and handling are that much greater.

IIRC, The N1K's top speed OTD is 325mph to the SpitXVI's 344. They are reasonably equivalent in maneuverability. When you start making comparisons to the rest of the plane set, there is a huge difference between a highly maneuverable plane that can go 344 mph on the deck and one that is 19mph slower. Namely, that many planes stand a chance of NOT being caught and eaten by the N1K.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #382 on: May 15, 2009, 10:19:39 AM »
The roll-rate of the XVI makes its maneuverability edge over the N1K unquestionable.  Even the lowly Spit VIII out rolls the N1K at 300mph ias, and at low speeds it crushes it in the roll axis.

I would rather unperk the XIV and C-Hog than perk the XVI, but if it were perked, there's no way in heck that the masses would go to the Yak, and the Ki-84 breaks apart in shallow dives, so it's also a no-go.

The Spit VIII would see a huge bump in use, the La-7 a moderate bump.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 10:24:03 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #383 on: May 15, 2009, 05:08:43 PM »
So, have we all agreed on giving the XVI 25lbs of boost yet? :t

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #384 on: May 15, 2009, 05:18:30 PM »
Use the Tempest's or F4U-4's speed against them. They have more speed so it should be easier, right? :devil

If the guy has no clue, absolutely.  The guys who tend to fly -4s and Temps are often vets however who know how to use them.  they are not 'noob' planes.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #385 on: May 15, 2009, 05:46:06 PM »
That would need to be perked.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #386 on: May 15, 2009, 08:10:02 PM »

Isn't that a 150 octane fuel thing?  If it flew in the war in squadron strength, then I'm for it, as soon as we get a 109G-6/AS. ;)
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #387 on: May 15, 2009, 08:34:13 PM »
Isn't that a 150 octane fuel thing?  If it flew in the war in squadron strength.

Yes mate.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #388 on: May 15, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
Actually, the less-skilled apparently consider the P-51D of all things the best plane, if we are going by numbers. Perhaps we should dismiss the POV of the less-skilled if we want to consider the planes rationally.

It is doubtful that most SpitXVI pilots will prefer the Lala. The difficulties with the guns and handling are that much greater.

IIRC, The N1K's top speed OTD is 325mph to the SpitXVI's 344. They are reasonably equivalent in maneuverability. When you start making comparisons to the rest of the plane set, there is a huge difference between a highly maneuverable plane that can go 344 mph on the deck and one that is 19mph slower. Namely, that many planes stand a chance of NOT being caught and eaten by the N1K.

Hey how about this logic, it is the exact same argument.If we only consider the A65m and the C47, it is obvious the ZERO would dominate.

So it should absolutly be perked in the current plane set as I have just proved that it is compleltly dominent.

It is truly amazing the staws and conclsions to prove something that is OBVIOUS not true. Simple fact the spit 16 is not even the most flown plane. Does not have the most kills.

HiTech

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #389 on: May 15, 2009, 10:31:31 PM »

Hey how about this logic, it is the exact same argument.If we only consider the A65m and the C47, it is obvious the ZERO would dominate.

Not against a "skilled" pilot who really knew how to fly the C-47.  It is after all, the pilot not the plane.   ;)
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.