Author Topic: What we need are some What If planes  (Read 10289 times)

Offline Caldwell

• Zinc Member
What we need are some What If planes
« on: May 13, 2009, 04:59:33 AM »
As an Australian I think it'd be cool to take a CA15 "Kangaroo" up for a spin.  The project was postponed during WW2 when we decided to build P51s instead, but after the war it was completed and it turned out to be faster than a lot of first generation jet fighters.  That would have been nice to take into combat I think. :O

There's a whole heap of aircraft I bet that were planned and never finished by the time WW2 ended and never ended up seeing the light of day in combat but would be nice to take for a spin and see what was planned if the war had gone on longer.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
Re: What we need are some What If planes
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 05:10:12 AM »
Sorry to break it to you mate, but it won't happen.

One of the requirements for addition to Aces High is that the aircraft saw action in at least squadron strength during WWII.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Caldwell

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 05:36:36 AM »
Sorry to break it to you mate, but it won't happen.

One of the requirements for addition to Aces High is that the aircraft saw action in at least squadron strength during WWII.

Well I DEMAND that they change that rule  :rock

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 05:46:52 AM »
Stick around for another 5+ years then start demanding things, naturaly don't count on anyone listening longer then is needed to get a  :lol from you.

~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Caldwell

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 05:52:49 AM »
Stick around for another 5+ years then start demanding things, naturaly don't count on anyone listening longer then is needed to get a  :lol from you.

I was of course being as serious as cancer with the demand.  :angel:

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 06:18:18 AM »
No
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 06:50:23 AM »
As an Australian I think it'd be cool to take a CA15 "Kangaroo" up for a spin.  The project was postponed during WW2 when we decided to build P51s instead, but after the war it was completed and it turned out to be faster than a lot of first generation jet fighters.  That would have been nice to take into combat I think. :O

There's a whole heap of aircraft I bet that were planned and never finished by the time WW2 ended and never ended up seeing the light of day in combat but would be nice to take for a spin and see what was planned if the war had gone on longer.
Sorry cobber this is as close as your going to get.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 08:27:23 AM »
Slightly related to subject matter...

...I dont think I would mind the introduction of some *reasonable* A/C additions to the plane set which just missed combat (F8F for example) if a hefty (as in makes a 262 look cheap) perk penalty was applied.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 09:36:03 AM »
The planes that fall into the real grey area are allied. The F7F and P-63 were operational and combat ready in 1944, politics are circumstance kept these planes out of the fight (P-63 actually saw extensive action in 1945 over Poland/Germany). The Meteor was also clearly operationally deployable as well. Since this is not a reenactment but a simulation based on WW2 combat era aircraft I've never understood why planes that were deployed at the squadron level and capable of combat operation aren't "eligible"....this can be extrapolated to loadouts like the 2 x 20mm gun package on the F6F-5 IMO.

A grayer area is the case of planes like the Do-335. This plane was ordered into production and its factory bombed to a point production was impossible. Politics allowed Heinkel to ignore the order to convert one of its factories long enough to keep the D0-335 out of mass production till the very end of the war. It did see combat but never formally at the squadron level.

I'd love to see these planes available (maybe on titanic Tuesdays only) on an occasional basis.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline frosty

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 12:36:52 PM »
I don't see the harm within reason...just perk them all to hell and/or relegate them to a single MA. 

Heaven forbid that we remember that this is entertainment, not a history lesson.  :D

Also as humble said, the P-63 absolutely DID see combat with a squadron level deployment, albeit secretly...not sure why it is still not in the game.  I agree with everything else he said as well regarding combat ready aircraft that simply didn't find combat.  The Titanic Tuesday limitation is a fantastic proposal.

I'm pretty sure C205s never fought Nikis, and I'm pretty sure carrier groups didn't cruise at interstate speeds, but no one seems to have a problem with that stuff...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 12:48:19 PM by frosty »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 12:52:50 PM »
and I'm pretty sure carrier groups didn't cruise at interstate speeds, but no one seems to have a problem with that stuff...

Must suck to drive a car in a country where you can only make 35mph on an interstate... ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline frosty

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 12:55:30 PM »
The Meteor was also clearly operationally deployable as well.

It was deployed to a squadron, and it saw combat as well.  Shot down a bunch of V1 rockets.  

-Squadron deployed?  Check
-Took off and blew up a bunch of enemy assets during WW2?  Check

Offline frosty

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 01:07:39 PM »
Must suck to drive a car in a country where you can only make 35mph on an interstate... ;)

I was being hyperbolic, but is that really as fast as the CVs go in game?  I feel like they're doing closer to 40 or 45.  Maybe they just seem fast as hell to me when I'm landing my deadsticked smoking brick of charcoal that was originally an F6 when I took off.  :D 

Anyway you get the idea...there are already a few liberties taken with reality in the game, so what's the harm in adding a couple of other "what-ifs"?

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 01:46:40 PM »
I'd like to see the P61C ... no logical or historical reason follows... I think they were cool planes. 
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 01:56:05 PM »
I'd like to see the P61C ... no logical or historical reason follows... I think they were cool planes. 
P-61C is post war.  The P-61A or P-61B might happen though.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-