Author Topic: CV vs Level Bombers  (Read 5359 times)

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
Re: CV vs Level Bombers
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2009, 11:34:03 AM »
I'll send $20 to anyone who does a quick search and finds a post of CAP whining or wanting a change in the game.  I just don't have time myself right now, but twenty bones would be worth it.   :D

Apparently Sunbat thinks never contributing to the community is some type of badge of honor?  I just don't understand why these folks are sooooooo sensitive to anyone posting a question or request? This is my last reply to either of these guys since they have nothing to say really.
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2009, 12:01:05 PM »
Heh you and alot if others, of course it has nothing to with this subject but if thats what turns your crank go to it.  If I recall correctly we started calling it a game when EZ mode was introduced and Dale has said its a game now so I have no arguement with that I guess, but suggestions to improve the game are still accepted as far as I know.  Since it's a game I wonder why we post fm stats??

actually, i generally only bomb when i can't find a good fight....or i'm not in a mood to fly a fighter.............
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2009, 12:04:12 PM »
Apparently Sunbat thinks never contributing to the community is some type of badge of honor?  I just don't understand why these folks are sooooooo sensitive to anyone posting a question or request? This is my last reply to either of these guys since they have nothing to say really.

Meh.  I was just trying to help your cause, but I see I really need to see about helping your reading comprehension.  But whadeva...  

And for the record, I think bombers killing CV's is ghey too.  

And nothing to say?  Well here is what I have to say: whycome you have the same name as my BFF, BoxBoy28?  
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2009, 12:05:32 PM »

butcha see though....i DID contribute to it. i said that to avoid having a cv sunk, one should turn it. one could also man the 5" guns, the quad 20mm's, or the 40mm(i think it has them).

so see.....i have contributed.

on the other hand, if they want to change it, go for it..........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline klingan

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2009, 12:52:37 PM »
Just a thought...  Tie wind direction to ENY in some fashion.  Maybe the team with the most players gets a head wind.

I like it  :aok

The Few GFC

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2009, 01:03:55 PM »
They sent waves of 17's against the 4 cv's at Midway.......nuthin

(note: in WW2, if you wanted to kill a building, you destroyed the city in which said building resided....politically incorrect nowadays)

Waves?  I think it was 1 strike of very limited #s  :huh   I could be wrong, I guess
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 01:37:08 PM by shreck »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2009, 01:19:25 PM »
Waves?  I think it was 1 strike of very limity #s  :huh   I could be wrong, I guess

i was wondering the same..i didn't think there were that many stationed out there.........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2009, 02:15:51 PM »
    As long as people take evasive action, its still not an easy thing to do. Theres a bit of guesswork involved. Adding anything to make it harder would simply force more people to divebomb the heavies. What Id like to see is the bombs only kill the guns,dar,and hangar, making its so you couldnt spawn planes like a base. Make it so only aerial torpedoes, gunfire from ships or sbs could actually sink it.

~AoM~

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2009, 02:45:45 PM »
    As long as people take evasive action, its still not an easy thing to do. Theres a bit of guesswork involved. Adding anything to make it harder would simply force more people to divebomb the heavies. What Id like to see is the bombs only kill the guns,dar,and hangar, making its so you couldnt spawn planes like a base. Make it so only aerial torpedoes, gunfire from ships or sbs could actually sink it.

correct. when i'm keeping an eye on a cv, i wait till i hear bombs in the air........if they're at 10k when they drop, a quick turn in any direction will make em miss.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2009, 07:33:54 PM »
I think that there were a lot of Ju 88's used for antishipping in level bombing around North Africa, but they did bomb from lower altitude.

There is a huge difference in ability to hit a ship between one that is maneuvering and one that isn't (or is just put into a predicatable turn before the bomber has even reached its drop point).  We see this in scenarios -- ships maneuvered by a human watching the action and maneuvering to make bombers miss are much, much harder to hit.

Here's an example of ship that would have been obliterated by B-17 attacks (bombs quite well placed, looks to me) if it hadn't been quite adeptly maneuvered.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
I'll send $20 to anyone who does a quick search and finds a post of CAP whining or wanting a change in the game.  I just don't have time myself right now, but twenty bones would be worth it.   :D

I THINk ya got lucky dude.....no one posted anything here yet.

:noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2009, 08:12:04 PM »
Just a thought...  Tie wind direction to ENY in some fashion.  Maybe the team with the most players gets a head wind.

yaknow......i was thinking about this on the way to mcguire afb tonight.

it would kinda be fun, if they just added variable winds. not a lot.....maybe 20kts or so tops.,......but have it varying in direction and speeds. would make it much more challenging and fun for the bombers i think......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2009, 08:21:28 PM »
I recall hearing a documentary on the military channel that said some Ju88's hit a fleet of american merchant ships heading to britain.
Strokes

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2009, 11:40:22 PM »
I think that there were a lot of Ju 88's used for antishipping in level bombing around North Africa, but they did bomb from lower altitude.

There is a huge difference in ability to hit a ship between one that is maneuvering and one that isn't (or is just put into a predicatable turn before the bomber has even reached its drop point).  We see this in scenarios -- ships maneuvered by a human watching the action and maneuvering to make bombers miss are much, much harder to hit.

Here's an example of ship that would have been obliterated by B-17 attacks (bombs quite well placed, looks to me) if it hadn't been quite adeptly maneuvered.

(Image removed from quote.)
  Your picture shows one glaring fact... it all depends upon your perspective.  From 25,000 feet they look pretty close......BUT:

Hiryu was 728' 5" long at the waterline.  The CLOSEST bomb splash in that particular picture, around two boat lengths away... most are further.  So, the closest splash to the Hiryu, around 1500 feet.  I guess hitting within a quarter mile of your target is good (Horribly ineffective, but good)...actually about the average in the war. 

Hitting moving ships with large level bombers is asinine...they lacked the maneuver capability to keep up with one turn of even the largest ship.   It took 68 Lancasters to get 2 (Possibly 3) hits on a stationary Tirpitz in Tromse, in two separate operations ("Obviate" and "Catechism")  FYI: The Tirpitz was 40 m longer than Hiryu.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 11:55:33 PM by MORAY37 »
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2009, 12:30:57 AM »
  Your picture shows one glaring fact... it all depends upon your perspective.  From 25,000 feet they look pretty close......BUT:

Hiryu was 728' 5" long at the waterline.  The CLOSEST bomb splash in that particular picture, around two boat lengths away... most are further.  So, the closest splash to the Hiryu, around 1500 feet.  I guess hitting within a quarter mile of your target is good (Horribly ineffective, but good)...actually about the average in the war. 

Hitting moving ships with large level bombers is asinine...they lacked the maneuver capability to keep up with one turn of even the largest ship.   It took 68 Lancasters to get 2 (Possibly 3) hits on a stationary Tirpitz in Tromse, in two separate operations ("Obviate" and "Catechism")  FYI: The Tirpitz was 40 m longer than Hiryu.

it looks like a little closer to 1 boatlength to me.......

wait....i'm looking at the upper left corner...are the explosions, or clouds?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 12:33:07 AM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"