Author Topic: CV vs Level Bombers  (Read 5363 times)

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
CV vs Level Bombers
« on: May 24, 2009, 11:25:35 PM »
Can anyone give me an actual WWII statistic on the effectiveness of level bombers vs CV's??  I can't seem to recall a single CV lost to level bombers, yet in AH the SOP to take down the carrier is to launch a set of Lancs, B-17s, B-24's, etc etc.
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
Re: CV vs Level Bombers
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 11:48:53 PM »
This is one of the biggest pet peeves I have about AH2, that being the hyper-accurate BUFFS. But, realistically, if the wind was turned on in the MA, this would all go away.

In the fall of 1944, only seven per cent of all bombs dropped by the Eighth Air Force hit within 1,000ft of their aim point; even a fighter-bomber in a 40 degree dive releasing a bomb at 7,000 ft could have a circular error (CEP) of as much as 1,000 ft. It took 108 B-17 bombers, crewed by 1,080 airmen, dropping 648 bombs to guarantee a 96 per cent chance of getting just two hits inside a 400 by 500 ft area (a German power-generation plant.)

The ability of one set of bombers to hit a moving CV from 10,000 feet is wildly out of sync with reality.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 12:32:02 AM »
Those bombers didnt calibrate back in the day, only the lead bomber really did anything. And again HTC has to make it so noobs can jump in and take off so they get more players :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 12:36:18 AM »
As far as I know, no level bombers hit moving ships during WW2. Ever.

I think, HTC leave it that way, because otherwise CV would be very hard to kill w/o SB or cruiser.
Easy calibration is a shame though.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 12:46:49 AM »
As far as I know, no level bombers hit moving ships during WW2. Ever.

I think, HTC leave it that way, because otherwise CV would be very hard to kill w/o SB or cruiser.
Easy calibration is a shame though.

+1. The manual calibration in FSO doesnt seem to disrupt most targets getting hit *yet the guys Ive seen bombing were older than dirt playing this game*, but then again, most everyone is used to the easy mode of calibration and there would be too much whinage if they changed it back
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 02:31:16 AM »
HELLO! This is just a game. :rolleyes:
Lighten up Francis

Offline RTGorkle

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 03:01:10 AM »
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 03:21:36 AM by RTGorkle »

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 05:46:51 AM »
Level bombers (Lancasters) were send out to bomb the Tirpitz, she was sitting in port though  :aok

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 06:30:51 AM »
I think the first wave of aircraft to attack Force Z comprised level bombing G3M "Nell". They scored a single hit on the Repulse. Torpedo bombing Nells and Bettys did the major work on the Prince of Wales and the Repulse from that point on.
Retired

Offline danny37

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 07:09:21 AM »
b25s were used alot againts ships and dams but at low alt(up to 3000ft) and droped either the HIGHBALL bombs which were round and skipped across the water,and regular ap bombs that they also skipped across the water,the highballs were not very effective so they switched to the reg, ap bombs that did pretty good.
personally i dont see how they were able to skip the reg, ap bombs on the water but somehow they did.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 07:23:25 AM »
b25s were used alot againts ships and dams but at low alt(up to 3000ft) and droped either the HIGHBALL bombs which were round and skipped across the water,and regular ap bombs that they also skipped across the water,the highballs were not very effective so they switched to the reg, ap bombs that did pretty good.
personally i dont see how they were able to skip the reg, ap bombs on the water but somehow they did.

I don't think the Americans ever used Highball did they?  That was the version of the bouncing bomb developed for the Mosquito by the British - As far as i know it was never used operationally.

The standard bombs had time delay fuses on them so that they did not detonate on impact.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 07:52:33 AM »
I can hit CV's consistently in B26's (chosen for thier durability). 8K altitude puts these bombers just out of reach of the auto-ack, but still in effective range of the 5-inchers. Yesterday, I was able to sink a CV although the defensive fighter cap over it swarmed in a wiped my flight totally out.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 08:53:05 AM »
They sent waves of 17's against the 4 cv's at Midway.......nuthin

(note: in WW2, if you wanted to kill a building, you destroyed the city in which said building resided....politically incorrect nowadays)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 08:54:48 AM by bj229r »
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 09:14:16 AM »
(note: in WW2, if you wanted to kill a building, you destroyed the city in which said building resided....politically incorrect nowadays)

But it got the job done!  :aok
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 09:52:22 AM »
HELLO! This is just a game. :rolleyes:

That's supposed to accurately simulate the abilities of WWII aircraft? ;)

In order to counter the increased accuracy of level bombing, AH has the super auto-puffy ack, which I'm yet to see bring down a slow and large 4 engined bomber.

Manual calibration isn't going to make CVs safe from level bombing.  It would only force players to learn a new trick before they go back to the same old thing.  These things might help:

• Wind
  • Randomness in how bombs fall through the wind (they don't fall in a perfect straight line)
  • CV without human commander does auto-evasives when 4-engine bombers approach
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!