Author Topic: Are there any issues with running AH with Vista now.  (Read 3325 times)

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Are there any issues with running AH with Vista now.
« on: May 27, 2009, 08:25:35 AM »
Please let me know when I get my new PC it will have vista unlesss I spend more to get it downgraded to XP.
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Are there any issues with running AH with Vista now.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 08:29:41 AM »
Can't say much about Vista but AH2 works like a dream in Windows 7 which is based on Vista.

It won't make Skuzzy happy though - both are support nightmares.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 08:31:37 AM »
Please let me know when I get my new PC it will have vista unlesss I spend more to get it downgraded to XP.

i dont see nothing wrong with downgrading it to XP...

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 08:39:08 AM »
I use Vista and have zero problems running AH2.  Just don't install it in the default Program Files folder.  I have mine in C:\Games\AH2. 
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 08:41:52 AM »
I use Vista and have zero problems running AH2.  Just don't install it in the default Program Files folder.  I have mine in C:\Games\AH2. 

Yep absolutely under no condition install games in program files in Vista or W7. Or most other softwares for that matter unless they've been especially coded to handle Vista's way of profile management and UAC. Anything legacy will be messed up royally.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 08:57:35 AM »
No issues at all.  Setting up your mic will be different but I have a post in this forum along with pictures of what to do and how to do it.

Offline gathoo

• Zinc Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 08:58:19 AM »
Don't worry,  I am using AH and Vista and have no problems.

gathoo
------
XO ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~

~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~ are recruiting

Offline Dark

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 10:15:51 AM »
Vista 64 here and no problems. Only 1 i had is cause i just defaulted the location and didnt read forums when i downloaded it lol but clean wipe and reinstall and have had nothing wrong. Only thing is vista has alot of processes running so will have to kill those down. Mine started at 70.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 10:19:36 AM »
no problems any more running vista 64 once i shut down about half of my stuff, my vista looks like xp now tho, made the mistake of downloading it in regular files, try to get it in the right place from the start!!
 it will make your world a whole lot simpler!!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Irwink!

• Nickel Member
      • http://msn.com
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
There are no issues that I have seen contrary to all the horror stories for personal use on newer hardware outside of a corporate network. Yeah, you'll have to tweak it and learn a little bit about it for the best performance but you also had to tweak XP and learn a bit about it for best performance. BFD. That's the nature of moving to a new OS IMHO. Unless you have specific need of legacy software that refuses to run or is otherwise known to be hindered by Vista then I'd save my money in regards to downgrading to XP.

In a perfect world I'd wait for Win 7 to come out as preinstalled on an OEM box but I don't know how long you can afford to wait.

Now I'm sure that all of the Vista haters will weigh in. Some may have legitimate complaints based on their intended uses. Not everyone's requirements are the same. If past experience holds true others will weigh in that in fact have no or extremely limited experience with Vista and are only echoing the worst they've heard from others.

Vista's got it's faults but for AH I've seen no problems once it's tuned and the hardware is adequate.

Have at it Vista/MS haters...

Offline skullman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 01:28:30 PM »
follow Tildeath setup and I have no problem at all with vista.Runs just like xp for me.No issues at all
been there destroyed that

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 05:45:50 PM »
Which manufacturer made the cpu on this new rig? If its AMD you may have a few other problems. If its Intel moving the install is the only problem your likely to see. On some AMD CPUs you should run the program in Win 98 compatibility mode.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 07:48:32 PM »
Personally, I would go with vista at this point and then wait to see what Windows 7 looks like instead of downgrading. That way you can spend the money for an upgrade or maybe they will offer a free upgrade. Get with the manufacturer before you buy. Keep in mind there is a reason they went to Windows 7 so fast. That's not to discount anyone on this forum. These are just my humble opinions.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 08:11:14 PM »
Yep absolutely under no condition install games in program files in Vista or W7. Or most other softwares for that matter unless they've been especially coded to handle Vista's way of profile management and UAC. Anything legacy will be messed up royally.

What kind of mess ups? I put everything there and don't notice any issues. Are the problems escaping my notice.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 06:21:57 AM »
Vista and Windows 7 spend a lot of CPU time on anything accessed in the "Program Files" folder.  The virtual store of hidden files it maintains is bad enough alone.

This all started in XP, but was not nearly as intrusive as it is in Vista and Windows 7.  If you want your computer to run its best, you never install anything in the "Program Files" folder.  Anything installed in the "Program Files" folder will not run nearly as well as it can run on your computer.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com