Author Topic: New to AH2 Movie Making - need some advice  (Read 621 times)

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
New to AH2 Movie Making - need some advice
« on: May 28, 2009, 11:29:00 PM »
Ok well, I upgraded my system to an Intel from AMD.  My previous intel system used to work with the film viewer quickly, the faster amd system was VERY slow and just didn't work with the film viewer well other than to watch from beginning to end.  So I upgraded to this newer intel chip (e8400) and am now hoping to get into some film making. :)  For some reason though, I still notice it takes awhile for all the textures to load.  White blocks for awhile.

I get obscene frame rates on my 24" monitor in every game out there.  I have 4 gigs of ram and a 8800gts (g92 core) 512mb overclocked vid card.  STILL beats some of the newer cards out there for fps. 

So I'm wondering if any of you vets figured out a way to make the film viewer easier to work with or if there are any recommend tweaks?

Also, do you convert to avi in the film viewer or using another app (like fraps).  If you use 3rd party, what do you do to keep the video transfer from being lossless.

I know there are some video gurus out there that could explain alls the crazy in's and out's when it comes to video , so try to keep it simple for a simple person like me :)  I'm rather computer savvy (it's my job after all) but when it comes to tweaking out apps that I have no experience with - it's always best to ask those that have done it and been there right?

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
Re: New to AH2 Movie Making - need some advice
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 12:16:11 PM »
I do not have time to post a bunch of info atm, but just look through this forum; there are many threads that ave just about everything you'll need to start making movies.

:salute
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 02:39:34 PM »
Sincraft, take a look at these threads for suggestions on speeding up the game (speeds up the FV, too).

Hints and Tips
If you have Vista: Vista: Performance Hints and Tips
Waffle's Video Settings Tips
Attention Intel Core2 Users
AMD and Intel Multi-Core CPU's using Windows XP

Some useful information there which is worth a look at if you want to tweak the game to run a little more smoothly.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 07:25:33 PM »
I have an AMD Athlon 64 x2. I use Fraps to record from the viewer, but some say it's easier to record right from the viewer.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 01:55:31 PM »
Ok well, I upgraded my system to an Intel from AMD.  My previous intel system used to work with the film viewer quickly, the faster amd system was VERY slow and just didn't work with the film viewer well other than to watch from beginning to end.  So I upgraded to this newer intel chip (e8400) and am now hoping to get into some film making. :)  For some reason though, I still notice it takes awhile for all the textures to load.  White blocks for awhile.

I get obscene frame rates on my 24" monitor in every game out there.  I have 4 gigs of ram and a 8800gts (g92 core) 512mb overclocked vid card.  STILL beats some of the newer cards out there for fps. 

So I'm wondering if any of you vets figured out a way to make the film viewer easier to work with or if there are any recommend tweaks?

Also, do you convert to avi in the film viewer or using another app (like fraps).  If you use 3rd party, what do you do to keep the video transfer from being lossless.

I know there are some video gurus out there that could explain alls the crazy in's and out's when it comes to video , so try to keep it simple for a simple person like me :)  I'm rather computer savvy (it's my job after all) but when it comes to tweaking out apps that I have no experience with - it's always best to ask those that have done it and been there right?

I have made a few using the AH Viewer and then moved to FRAPS. I still use FRAPS, but haven't made one in a while. I do know that films are kinda jerky in my older PC and I have yet to try it in this new one yet.
A hint that is basic is: if you can edit your film, cut pieces using the AH Viewer, and add 30-45 seconds before and after the shot you are looking for, that gives you the time to load the terrain and artwork. (usually)
You don't have to start the film over and over. (Expect a 4 minute movie to use 40 or more shorts.) ("Start Select" and "End Select" records just what is there and I think "Copy Select" saves it for you and names it ahfilm1-xxx.ahf where the x=time or some part of the film in time.
Then use the pieces you like to as scenes and then use FRAPs to capture it while you are in Full Screen. These are all lessons learned more by doing. My movies from the beginning are here: http://www.kkenshome.com/media.html (#34, 35, 36,37,38) - and the first is the worst, 2nd a little better, and so on. I learned about "not" changing views in the P38 movie-it's terrible! :D (was fun to do though!)
Kermit and a number of others are real pros using the Sony Vega software. I downloaded the trial but never had time to use it!  :rofl  Sometime R/L gets in the way of fun!

I did a quick search and found this link: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,203376.0.html
There are others as well if you try to search.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 03:18:22 PM »
Search "Camtut"

There's a nice tutorial for film making there.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 04:44:16 PM »
http://derstuhl.net/ahmd/uploads/Aces%20High%20Training%20and%20Help%20Movies/ahfilm_camerashots_tut.zip

A tutorial I made on how to use the camera shots system.  Static views either in the cockpit or external can become unimpressive after a while.  The camera shots system can add a lot to making a movie.

Some quick tips.
- Windows Movie Maker can get the job done, but it fairly basic.  If this is your first time making a movie or using any editing software, I'd recommend starting here because its free.  It will help you learn the ropes.
- If you've used movie making software before, then I highly recommend Sony Vegas (currently I use ver. 8 Pro).  Adobe Premiere is also a recommendation.  Before sticking the $XXX money into these programs, I urge you to do their 30 day trials.
- Use Fraps - tried and true, simple and easy.  The internal AH Film Viewer .AVI Export feature only supports up to 640x480.  The previous movies I made I did widescreen at 720x480.  Future movies I plan on making will be at least 1300x900 in resolution
- Your computer specs are similar to mine, you should have no real problems get an excellent quality movie.
- You can use Fraps for free, however the unpaid version watermarks the top of captured video and also limit capture time to 30 seconds before it turns the captured video into black and white.  I think Fraps runs $30-40.
- You could crop your captured Fraps video to remove the watermark it places at the top.
- With your specs, I would use the same Fraps settings I use.  Check these options:
  + Full-Size
  + 60 FPS
  + No cursor
- Recording Sound with Fraps is your choice.  For a first time movie maker, I would recommend do not use recorded sound from the game.  To get a proper representation of what in game sounds are really like, editing sounds and mixing in stock game audio is required.  Time consuming.
  + A Test movie I did that took a considerable amount of time doing audio mixing:
  + http://www.derstuhl.net/downloads/filmtest_1c.zip

- When recording in Fraps, if the captured FPS drops below 30 FPS - scrap the footage you just recorded.  Set the shot up in AH Film Viewer again but set the playback speed to 1/2 (or .51, i dont think .5 is attainable on the slider).  Your FPS will drop below 30 FPS again, however in your movie editing program you will double the playback speed of that clip.  So lets say you captured that scene at 20FPS at 1/2 speed.  Once you edit the clip to 2x speed, the actual frame rate for the scene has now become 40FPS.
- Jerky movies caused by low FPS recording are a pain to watch.  Though you may see past it since its your creation, the internet is full of harsh critics and you will get drilled on it.

Any more questions, feel free to post or pm.  There are several accomplished movie makers on this forum.  Also use Google and Youtube for tutorials on using the Movie Maker program you choose.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 04:47:14 PM by Fulmar »
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either