Author Topic: Anyone from Pittsburgh?  (Read 799 times)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
Anyone from Pittsburgh?
« on: June 14, 2009, 06:01:02 AM »
Leaving tonight or tomorrow to ride shotgun with a buddy of mine who is a die-hard Pittsburgh (any of their sports teams) fan.

Me and my big mouth.  Back in October, I asked him to go to the Phillies parade when they won the World Series to have another set of eyes to keep an eye pn my kids during the madness.  He agreed "As long as I would be his wingman for the Penguins parade when they won the Stanley Cup".  Being October and all, I said "Suuuuure, if the Pens win the cup, I'm there"  :noid

I guess I'm going to Pittsburgh........   :rofl

Just wondering what is the best way to approach this.  When we had the Phillies parade, the media kept urging everyone to use public trans.   BIG, HUGE mistake.  SEPTA was overwhelmed with the amount of passengers.  I've noticed that Pittsburgh is now giving the same advice.

Should I ignore the advice and drive into town, find a parking place, and enjoy the parade, or find a place outside of town and take public trans for the rest of the journey? 

I  can navigate through Philly blindfolded and deafened while eating a cheesesteak, but I do not know Pittsburgh as well.

Any help would be appreciated.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Anyone from Pittsburgh?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 11:03:19 AM »
I moved from there in 2003.

I go back once or twice a year, mainly for Steeler Games, Backyard Brawls (WVU vs Pitt).

The trick is getting there early as possible. Parking can be found and gridlock can be avoided if you leave early enough. If you park on the Southside, you may be able to take the T or even walk to Downtown, same with the Northside although there is not much on the Northside, but there is plenty more parking than downtown or the Southside. As you could park at Hienz Field or PNC Park.

Be prepared to do some walking where ever you park at. Good luck! Hope you enjoy the city and have a great time!

There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 11:57:37 AM »
I moved from there in 2003.

I go back once or twice a year, mainly for Steeler Games, Backyard Brawls (WVU vs Pitt).

The trick is getting there early as possible. Parking can be found and gridlock can be avoided if you leave early enough. If you park on the Southside, you may be able to take the T or even walk to Downtown, same with the Northside although there is not much on the Northside, but there is plenty more parking than downtown or the Southside. As you could park at Hienz Field or PNC Park.

Be prepared to do some walking where ever you park at. Good luck! Hope you enjoy the city and have a great time!

Actually gonna stay at t he Holiday Inn X in the Southside.  Gonna see if we can walk from there.

Woot!

Offline Stixx

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 04:36:47 PM »
Just got back from Pittsburgh today, had a blast last night at the Pirates vs Tigers game,
got lost a couple of times while trying to find our hotel. If you can drive around Philly with
no problem, Pittsburgh will be a breeze. Shouldn't be a problem staying on the South shore
and catching transit to the parade. 

A fan was running through the crowd last night with a replica of the 'Stanley Cup' shoulda heard the
roar.
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in military aviation are:'Did you feel that?' 'What's that noise?' and'Oh S...!'
-Authors Unknown-

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 09:10:22 PM »
Last time I went to a Steelers game I parked at Station Square and rode the Gateway Clipper over to Heinz Field.  Tickets are $10 per person roundtrip.  Driving across the bridges into downtown is murder.
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 01:21:29 PM »
Last time I went to a Steelers game I parked at Station Square and rode the Gateway Clipper over to Heinz Field.  Tickets are $10 per person roundtrip.  Driving across the bridges into downtown is murder.

I've always wanted to do that. You plan on going to any Steeler Games this year? I'm definitely going to the Home game against the Bungles, I believe its either in Sept or Oct. In the last 5 years I've seen them play every division opponent except them.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 04:34:26 PM »
Over 300,000 fans in downtown Pitt. today for the victory parade celebrating the Pens. Stanley Cup win.
Quite the madhouse.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 05:45:38 PM »
Over 300,000 fans in downtown Pitt. today for the victory parade celebrating the Pens. Stanley Cup win.
Quite the madhouse.

And we loved every minute of it.

Safely home in less than 24 hrs.  Whew, quite the madhouse is right.  We rode about halfway home honking at other cars that had Pens' signs/stickers/ect all over them.  Definitely worth the trip.  Unlike the Phillies parade, we could actually see everything. 

Guess I'll have to get to Broad Street earlier this year  :devil

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 08:03:28 PM »
I've always wanted to do that. You plan on going to any Steeler Games this year? I'm definitely going to the Home game against the Bungles, I believe its either in Sept or Oct. In the last 5 years I've seen them play every division opponent except them.
No definite plans. Last years tickets were given to me.  Higher chance of me hitting a WVU game this year.
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 08:35:04 PM »
Just got back from Pittsburgh today, had a blast last night at the Pirates vs Tigers game,
got lost a couple of times while trying to find our hotel. If you can drive around Philly with
no problem, Pittsburgh will be a breeze. Shouldn't be a problem staying on the South shore
and catching transit to the parade. 

A fan was running through the crowd last night with a replica of the 'Stanley Cup' shoulda heard the
roar.

I heard that some of the guys from the Pens came (first pitch, maybe?) and that they brought the cup with them.  Poor Detroit  :devil

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 08:41:23 PM »
Be alert to the number of 1 way streets in downtown Babushka City!  (Browns fan)   ;)

Pittsburg a nice town....been there many times to watch Pirates games and many Browns Steelers Games at old Pitt Stadium.

To bad they tore down Forbes Field.  When you walked in you knew they played baseball there!
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 09:04:34 PM »
Quite the madhouse.

Lute, are you living there? We should meet up sometime.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 01:12:23 AM »
Lute, are you living there? We should meet up sometime.

First beer on me.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 04:48:27 PM »
Don't do it Nef. Lute's prolly a closet Browns fan who keeps a red ball in his pocket for "emergencies".
 :noid :t
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 05:29:23 PM »
 :lol

Nah, Not Lute...

Maybe we could all get together for a Buc's Game. Pittsburgh Mini-Con anyone?