Author Topic: Why dont more people play axis v allies  (Read 5284 times)

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
Re: Why dont more people play axis v allies
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2009, 01:57:54 PM »
I have a very different question, why would anyone want to go to the AVA. I am not being facetious, try come up with real reasons.

HiTech

1. The fights- The best fights in the game are here. The best pilots in the game fight here. You would learn ACM faster and look at the way of Air Combat in a totally different way.

2.Historical matchups- Not everyone likes P51 Vs P51 in the MA, the history in the arena is what brings me there. To fight in the same terrain and the same environment like the original great ones did.

3. Set ups- If you want a set up, the CM's will run it. It might not be right away but if you request it, it will be there.

4. Gangs/picks/HOs- The reason they are looked down upon are to make the fights the best they can be. and in respect of that, you treat players how you want to be treated. If your going to Ho every pass, Im going to kick my rudder a little then shoot ya right in the cockpit. Simple

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2009, 01:58:45 PM »
I have a very different question, why would anyone want to go to the AVA. I am not being facetious, try come up with real reasons.

HiTech

That's a tough one.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2009, 02:00:26 PM »
1. The fights- The best fights in the game are here. The best pilots in the game fight here. You would learn ACM faster and look at the way of Air Combat in a totally different way.

2.Historical matchups- Not everyone likes P51 Vs P51 in the MA, the history in the arena is what brings me there. To fight in the same terrain and the same environment like the original great ones did.

3. Set ups- If you want a set up, the CM's will run it. It might not be right away but if you request it, it will be there.

4. Gangs/picks/HOs- The reason they are looked down upon are to make the fights the best they can be. and in respect of that, you treat players how you want to be treated. If your going to Ho every pass, Im going to kick my rudder a little then shoot ya right in the cockpit. Simple

Now wait for the people that never fly there tell you you're wrong. I mean you're an AvA ragular what do you know.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2009, 02:13:51 PM »

From my perspective - and I'm perhaps the most dedicated Axis v. Allied player I know - Fudgums' Reason No. 2 is the primary reason people should want to fly in the AvA.  If a person wants to have some sense of what WWII combat was like, he's not going to get it as well flying a Corsair against a P-51D as if he's flying a Corsair against a Zero.  As many have remarked before, there is something surreal about attacking a B-17 formation with a Spitfire.  So I put the historical connection first among reasons.

I'd place Fudgums' Reason No 3 next - and for mostly the same reasons.  You have a better understanding of Johnnie Johnson's account of his Spit V squadron meeting FW 190s over Dieppe when you can play out a 1942 Channel setup.  You won't get this in the MAs.

People may argue with Fudgums' Reasons 1 and 4, although I personally agree with them.  I think the fights tend to be better in any lower-number arena than in the 150+ beehives.  There were times, back in the heyday of the Combat Theater, when the high numbers produced the same kind of conduct that, later, resulted in the splitting of the MAs.

- oldman

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2009, 02:16:08 PM »

HiTech
That's why i say,turn off kill shoother and turn off radar bleeps.Then its someting truly diffrent from Main arena.And i for one would always be there. :pray
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 02:18:45 PM by Sunka »
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline iTunes

• Nickel Member
« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2009, 03:04:48 PM »
I like the historical match ups and that you get a fight, like to win them of course, but I'm just glad I get the cance for a good old fight! If we are all honest for a momement then I think the majority would agree that the MA is mostly arcade in nature, base capturing and winning the war mostly. A lot of the fights in the MA are usually ended by folks taking off to the ack or running or get a face full of lead from someone on the pick. The mentality in the MA seems to be "must not die at all costs" nothing wrong with that if that's what you lile to do and there's nothing wrong with base capture, running etc as it's your money and you have the choice to play as you wish.
The Class Acts.
JG54 Grunherz
iTunes- UK's finest killer of ack huggers and runners, mixing business with girls and thrills.
JG54/ Manchester United- Nobody likes us-we don't care... Goes by the name of Wayne rooney http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-47c_8J4c

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2009, 03:15:43 PM »
 Their are a ton of the old school AW pilots that would like this whole idea.So ask yourself.Why dont they go IN there? Seriously.FSO gets great numbers,this isnt FSO but its the closest thing to it. So why are all these people who OBVIOUSLY like that kind of set up not flocking to this utopia? :huh
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2009, 03:20:45 PM »

HiTech

What fudgums and oldman listed are the real reasons for showing up in the AvA.  Personally I think #4 would be nice but it has a tendency to cause more headaches than attracting players.  

I think you could drop EW MA and have an AvA MA with a mid war setup that would be attractive to some players.  Base taking and the AvA haven't mixed to well without causing a lot drama.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 03:23:13 PM by soda72 »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2009, 03:27:38 PM »

First I would say all your reasons except # 2 are conclusions and not reasons. 2. Can not be debated, it is your preference, all your other "reasons" are big stretches.  But does not matter, #2 is a very valid reason for your choice.

Only 1 more question.

What things do you give up so that you can have historical match ups.

HiTech

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2009, 03:39:57 PM »

I never flew AvA because the guys I fly with usually tend to clear a sector pretty quick.  I like to kill things, not fly on a cool terrain.  Preference I guess.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2009, 03:40:19 PM »
First I would say all your reasons except # 2 are conclusions and not reasons. 2. Can not be debated, it is your preference, all your other "reasons" are big stretches.  But does not matter, #2 is a very valid reason for your choice.

Only 1 more question.

What things do you give up so that you can have historical match ups.

HiTech

(knits brow)

...er...um.....plane choice....?

- oldman (and very small pebbles)

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2009, 03:40:21 PM »
Their are a ton of the old school AW pilots that would like this whole idea.So ask yourself.Why don't they go IN there? Seriously.FSO gets great numbers,this isn't FSO but its the closest thing to it. So why are all these people who OBVIOUSLY like that kind of set up not flocking to this utopia? :huh

Because AvA isn't FSO. FSO and AvA have almost nothing in common. FSO is once a week for two hours, they give you orders for each frame, and there is always a CM there. The AvA is 24/7/365, and there are no orders given out. It is a free for all, and because its an open arena there cant always be a CM on to fix something or stop it if people get out of hand.

When the whole wars were going on it did bring numbers, but because they revolved around base capture it also brought the worst of the MAs. FSO has numbers because its a closed event that only lasts a few hours. If it was open like the AvA and a squad had to go in there two or three times a day and complete their orders you would see people leave.

We I run WNMs and there are orders we see numbers in the arena. They may not be 500 but number are numbers. And almost everyone that fly them only have good things to say.

At the end of the day AvA isn't the MA, SEA or FSO.

JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2009, 03:41:46 PM »

(knits brow)

...er...um.....plane choice....?

- oldman (and very small pebbles)

lol  I was thinking more of what happens when you fly a zeke vs F4f kind of thing...

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2009, 03:45:16 PM »
I never flew AvA because the guys I fly with usually tend to clear a sector pretty quick.  I like to kill things, not fly on a cool terrain.  Preference I guess.

But that's in the MA. I think you guys would have your hands full going up against some of the AvA guys.

You say you like to kills things, well that's where some of the cool terrains come into play. For the most part bases aren't so far away in the AvA so getting to a fight only takes a few minutes.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2009, 03:47:42 PM »
Have visited you guys many times, and nothing against you all. I think most of you are great guys. Whenever I have flown with the Pigs, they were rolling bases. A game style that isn't the norm in the AvA.  Rolling bases is nothing to be ashamed of though

I've never taken a base, never tried either, I am a POTW member too.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)