Author Topic: Wiki Speed and Climb Charts (P-51B)  (Read 1934 times)

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
Re: Wiki Speed and Climb Charts (P-51B)
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 10:00:39 AM »
See Rule #4 (trolling)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 06:42:29 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 11:23:26 AM »
See Rule #4 (trolling)

Oh boy...   :uhoh
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 06:42:40 AM by Skuzzy »
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 12:49:39 PM »
   I think the real problem is that some people havent learned them well enough. Not to long ago I could turn fight most spits without a problem. Even if the pilot was good enough to beat me I  could extend away.

The P-51B is way under rated as a turn plane.....

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 02:58:47 PM »
See Rule #4 (trolling)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 06:43:08 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 08:28:05 PM »
See Rule #4 (trolling)

Where are these facts you speak of?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 06:43:18 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 03:12:31 AM »
Where are these facts you speak of?

Yes.. what "facts"? I love speed charts... I always learn something.

While I think the pony got a raw deal on one of the updates(flap effectivenes was porked, Widewing could provide details) you should be careful what you wish for. What I mean is:  what if the ponies were indeed made faster in game and their turn radii significantly improved?  You'd have an uber plane which would unbalance the game, IMHO. 

As far as the late war rides go, the pony isn't particularly exceptional(overall) but it does just fine in the MA. Its' 1.0+ K/D is a fair testament to this. It manages a positive K/D in spite of the fact that very very few people make use of its potential and many noobs fly it. I'm a big fan of the pony and would like to see its'  turn performance tweaked a little but I feel that any significant change in turn and speed numbers would result in a monster of a plane... sort of like a -4  Hog  but with better range and views...heheheh  sort of.  I speak only of ingame impact and make no claims at being a real life expert on any airplane.    :salute

Steve
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 07:21:51 PM »
As far as the late war rides go, the pony isn't particularly exceptional(overall) but it does just fine in the MA.

Top 5 speed at most altitudes......good climb....great endurance......excellent high speed characteristics.

Whats not to love.....get in the B and you will even have good turn rate.

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 07:31:08 PM »

I think what they are getting at is the P-51B isn't putting out full power at alt.  Pyro even chimed in and commented on it.
I don't or didn't normally fly the D model, but when I did it was one sweet ride.  Don't think it's under- or over-modelled at all.

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 07:34:52 PM »
I think what they are getting at is the P-51B isn't putting out full power at alt.  Pyro even chimed in and commented on it.
I don't or didn't normally fly the D model, but when I did it was one sweet ride.  Don't think it's under- or over-modelled at all.

Fixed for Beta

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 09:06:19 PM »
Part of this problem with both the P-51B and the D is it is under modeled in AH.

Me thinks part of the problem is that people don't know what they're talking about ;).

And no, I'd rather not go through the discussion because we've been around this topic ad nauseum here.   :rolleyes:

Tango
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 09:19:03 PM »
Top 5 speed at most altitudes......good climb....great endurance......excellent high speed characteristics.

Whats not to love.....

Hehe, never said I didn't love it.  :)

Good climb??   nah.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 04:16:56 AM »
climbs ok, just not great. Ive only ever flown the pony for occasional squad sweeps (probably 1 sortie a month) usually landing with a couple of assists only, so decided I should spend some time in it this tour, seeing as its the most popular AH ride and an icon too.

taken me a couple of weeks to start to get the hang of it, the one thing that strikes me is that its nowhere near as bad a turner as some make out. I flew the corsair for a tour recently so got used to really working flaps (new for me as I usually fly typh, spit8, 190) which has helped alot. if anything at higher speeds the pony seems to benefit more from flaps than the corsair, I'm using a notch pretty much any time I manouver. of course at lower speeds the corsair is the flap king :)

the one problem for me because there are so many in the MA is that you end up fighting other ponies alot, made me realise how much I rely on exploiting the differences between aircraft in a fight, with identical aircraft its easy for a fight to end up as stalemate. that and the runstang comments :D

overall I like it :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2009, 08:31:35 AM »
The secret to the P-51 (imho) is keeping it light by taking less fuel. You should make use of the Mustangs incredible range. At max cruise (clean) you can maintain 400 mph at 17,000 feet. Thats faster than a lot of fighters full throttle. My usual sortie in the MA took off with 50% and a single DT.

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2009, 03:42:51 PM »
See Rule #4 (trolling)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 06:43:45 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2009, 03:54:22 PM »
See Rule #4 (trolling)

We are still waiting for facts & hard data. What performance are you exactly talking about?

See Rule #4 (trolling)

And the T34 was still in service in cuba and other 3rd world / eastern bloc countries. Your point is?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 06:44:03 AM by Skuzzy »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman