Author Topic: Great Graphics,older computers..tough balance  (Read 3186 times)

Offline 20mmrain

• Zinc Member
Re: Great Graphics,older computers..tough balance
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2009, 10:12:58 AM »
I might I'm getting rid of some parts soon on my other gaming PC
Core 2 duo e7400
Asus p5q-em
 And some other parts if your intrested Private message me.
Spitfire's Are only Called Noob Planes By the People Who Can't Beat Them!!!

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2009, 12:17:55 PM »
You can't drive on the highway without a car. If you have a car then it has to be able to do the minimum posted speed on the highway.

How often does the government raise that minimum speed so that older cars can no longer meet it?

Not every 3-5 years, that's for sure.

When was the last time you took your five-year-old car to the shop only to be told that no one supports that old model anymore and you'll have to buy a new one?  :huh

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2009, 12:21:15 PM »
How often does the government raise that minimum speed so that older cars can no longer meet it?

When was the last time you took your five-year-old car to the shop only to be told that no one supports that old model anymore and you'll have to buy a new one?  :huh
That would be a valid point if cars became twice as fast every two years.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:24:16 PM by Motherland »

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2009, 12:35:22 PM »
I dont see the issue. I seriously doubt any gamer is playing just this.They play COD,FO3 BF2 and they ALL are graphic intense.

Not me. I don't play any of those. I bet I'm not the only one, either.

Were not playing pong here.

No, we're not. We're not playing COD, FO3, or BF2, either.

On a scale of 1-10 I rate eye candy at 0.5 and game play at 11. I simply do not care about whiz-bang graphics. I also think Tora, Tora, Tora was an infinitely better movie than Pearl Harbor - heck, I think December 7th was a better film than Pearl Harbor.

AH2 is a rare gem in an industry that usually sees graphics as everything and game play as an afterthought, if they think of it at all.

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #94 on: June 29, 2009, 12:45:38 PM »

Cars could get 10 times as fast as they do now and the minimum and maximum speeds on highways would change very little. And a street-legal car that could go 400 mph would be wasting all that power capacity because the driver has no practical use for it.

You fail at analogy.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2009, 12:46:43 PM »
Crash Orange, now it's a rare gem with great graphics.  :D

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2009, 12:50:52 PM »
AH2 is a rare gem in an industry that usually sees graphics as everything and game play as an afterthought, if they think of it at all.

I would have to disagree about the industry. Almost all games that do very well have great game play, AH is nothing special in that regard.
But they also find the balance of graphics that can play on a wide range of machines.

And in the last testing we did today, FPS would go up with most slower machines running same ranges, but non detailed terrain.

HiTech

Offline 20mmrain

• Zinc Member
« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2009, 12:51:59 PM »

That is a very good point cars don't double in speed every 2 years. But computers do. Also just because they do doesn't mean you have to upgrade every two years either. Here's my list of Ideal upgrading conditions.
1. If you want to game on the PC upgrade about every two years is appropriate. Think of it in terms as if you are a gamer on gaming consouls. New gaming consouls come out every 3 to 4 years and then you upgrade. Do you get mad a xbox and playstation because you can't play all your old games on that too? So every two years is not unheard of in the gaming community. But I only recommend this if your a fanatic like me.
2. You don't have to upgrade every two years, most gamers do about every 5 years (meaning they're whole PC ) Usually what happens instead of upgrading your whole computer you just upgrade your video card and maybe CPU and RAM. But video card is definitely the most important. A new video card top of the line will play most games for about two years at high to almost high levels.
3. If your not a fanatic like some are and there is only one or two games that you like to play. Don't upgrade until you can't play the game anymore. If you think about the ACES HIGH version that is going out soon.. If you bought a top of the line video card and CPU at the beginning of that version it would be about 7 - 8 years till you needed to upgrade. So if you only play this game that averages out to not so much money per year for upgrade.
4. Good planing always helps!!! Do some studying before you purchase your next PC. See where then trends are going. The more reseach you do the better understanding you'll have to know how long upgrades will be available for your PC. If you buy a cheaper model( Which is not always a bad thing if you just need a computer and money is tight! ) Than don't expect it to last forever and that you won't be able to upgrade as much. Kinda like you get what what you pay for.
So again my opinion is that Hi Tech is way over do for some upgrades. I don't think it's they're fault either, because they have been trying to appeal to the masses for so long that they just got behind. They had to make it playable for people with the Hand Me down computer as well as the highend computers and they had to make them both happy. That's gotta be tough! With the new Tech age of 64-bit and CPU's and GPU's getting more and more cores and getting more and more powerful they finally needed to take a step up to keep with compatibility and to keep the customers happy. It's just the way it works.
I also said in my last post two It's not like they're upgrading so much that it's goning to be unplayable for most. Most people still will be able to play it with lower end computer!!!

Offline 20mmrain

• Zinc Member
« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2009, 01:32:31 PM »
I'm not sure why this subject is getting to me so much????? But an after thought I had spend a hundred dollars get yourself a new video card and be set for the next 5 years. If ya can't do that and times are that tight "which some are and you can't help that" then don't ya think you should maybe even think about quiting the 15 bucks a month too?
LOL alright maybe I'll finally be able to let this subject rest for me  :aok

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
Cars could get 10 times as fast as they do now and the minimum and maximum speeds on highways would change very little. And a street-legal car that could go 400 mph would be wasting all that power capacity because the driver has no practical use for it.

You fail at analogy.
Cars can't go twice as fast every two years. How often is the world speed record broken? And by how much is that broken?
The car analogy is not mine. I was only pointing out why you were wrong. I will not try to make an analogy as there is no industry that is analogous with the computer industry.

And a street-legal car that could go 400 mph would be wasting all that power capacity because the driver has no practical use for it.
Of course, and this is another reason why the car vs. computer industry comparison is a poor one.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2009, 02:02:54 PM »

They change the inspection... and you have to meet it every year. Cars have been around way longer than your computer. If you have a car that does not meet the minimums then your SOL.

They do not soften the laws so you can drive your 50 year old smoker to the store.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 02:05:55 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Flipperk

• Silver Member
« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2009, 03:47:56 PM »
I am NOT I repeat NOT buying a new computer for the new update.

who said anything about a new computer?

were just talking ram and maybe a video card....
It is 2 Cents or .02 Dollars...NOT .02 Cents!

Offline Flipperk

• Silver Member
« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2009, 03:54:29 PM »

You fail at analogy.

wrong cars is SO MUCH DIFFERENT than electronics, cars are mechanical devices binded by the laws of physics and friction, games and computer are not, they are elctronic components putting together code and displaying it on a monitor, thats it. And all technology is doing is putting more code in and putting it out faster than the one before and that my friend is a whole lot easier than trying to figure out how to make a car go twice as fast every year and not expect wear and tear more often. Your car analogy fails. Thank you.
It is 2 Cents or .02 Dollars...NOT .02 Cents!

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2009, 04:07:45 PM »
See Rule #6
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 05:04:43 PM by Skuzzy »
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2009, 04:13:02 PM »
My 3.75 year old computer runs the beta just fine at max detail.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-