Author Topic: dear htc  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: dear htc
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 12:59:46 PM »
Ahhh, but therein lies the superiority of Il-2's damage model.  It is far, far easier to down a Ju-88 with a Hurricane MkI in that sim because you can start a fire with a good burst of BB fire; taking off the wing is not required.

How many clips of Luftwaffe gun cam footage have you seen where a B-17's wing came off from 20mm or even 30mm shells?  I haven't seen one. 
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 02:06:50 PM »
The biggest issue I ever saw with the .50cal in IL-2 is that it took them FOR-E-VER to fix the ridiculous amount of nose slewing caused by firing wing-mounted .50s. It was like trying to fire the B-25's 75mm mounted out on the wings. Unsynchronized.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 02:45:45 PM »
How many clips of Luftwaffe gun cam footage have you seen where a B-17's wing came off from 20mm or even 30mm shells?  I haven't seen one. 
Although I've not seen it on film, it's not a rare thing to read about in recollections from Luftwaffe pilots.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 06:16:49 AM »
Dunno, maybe HT likes pony's with .50's and is giving them the benefit of the doubt?

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 08:42:49 AM »
The biggest issue I ever saw with the .50cal in IL-2 is that it took them FOR-E-VER to fix the ridiculous amount of nose slewing caused by firing wing-mounted .50s. It was like trying to fire the B-25's 75mm mounted out on the wings. Unsynchronized.

Yeah, I never experienced that for myself, but I understand that the left wing bank of .50s would all fire at the same time, followed a split second later by the 3 right wing bank of .50s.  Neither the Yak or the Lavochkin has wing mounted guns, and so they were immune from the problem, which lead to all sorts of cries of conspiracy against American aircraft.  And to this day, they still go on and on about how the P-51 is undermodeled, kind of like here at AH. ;)
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2009, 10:23:58 AM »
Yeah, I never experienced that for myself, but I understand that the left wing bank of .50s would all fire at the same time, followed a split second later by the 3 right wing bank of .50s.  Neither the Yak or the Lavochkin has wing mounted guns, and so they were immune from the problem, which lead to all sorts of cries of conspiracy against American aircraft.  And to this day, they still go on and on about how the P-51 is undermodeled, kind of like here at AH. ;)

It wasn't just that the guns weren't synched properly, the recoil was ridiculously overmodelled. In the last patch even if you lose your entire right bank of guns it doesn't kick your nose around nearly as bad as it did before they fixed the recoil.

As for the conspiracy, I think the fact they tossed in late-war Luftwaffe and Russian monsters--many of which never even left the DRAWING BOARD much less saw combat--but refused to add the best American (if not ALL sides) fighter of the war (which DID see combat) contributes to that perception. At the very least it doesn't help dispell it.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2009, 11:30:10 AM »
They claim the P-51 is undermodeled, yet I have seen P-51s trying to turn with N1Ks and Ki-84s. This may be the reason for the outcries? Me thinketh so.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X