Author Topic: Observations from a guy new to AH(38 driver)  (Read 3369 times)

Offline Mav

• Zinc Member
Observations from a guy new to AH(38 driver)
« on: July 22, 2009, 11:57:19 AM »
Hi guys, I am sure some of you guys have shot me down at least once.  Probably most of you in fact.  :eek:

Anyways, I haven't WW2 simmed since AW "back in the day" so I am pretty rusty but I thought I would give you guys some opinions from a new guy on how it feels in AH.  I love the game. The game doesn't love me though, but hopefully I will get better.

Some things I have noticed or would like to comment on.  Any feedback or insights are appreciated.

1) The 38 is hard to to learn and fly well.  I have read the forums for a bit and this seems to be a common theme so its not me.  I flew it a bit in AW and it seemed to be an easier mistress than the harsh one thats here.
2) I draw hordes to my plane. It could be cuz I am not very good yet or people like the fat behind the 38 presents.
3) It took me almost a whole day to get my first "legit" kill.
4) I have a 1 to 1 kills to assist ratio.  Not sure if its becaue my shooting sucks or because I don't hang with targets long enough.  It would be nice to get some sort of recognition for that besides a one line stat.
5) Very few jerks in game so far.
6) Too many spit + Poney drivers
7) They need a "nub" arena where all the new pilots can fly, and only them can be in it until they "graduate".  Not a training arena or anything, but a full fledged arena that you can only be in when you have less than lets say 200 hours of flight time (or some other sort of qualification that makes sense).   While I am pretty persistant and I will get better, I think some may be scared off by the fact there are so many talented and experienced players. 
7) Where is the b-29 in game?
8.) I was kidding about 7

I just got out of my two week sub a couple of days and I will be sticking around so you can't have my stuff.  So far I am really impressed by the game and WW2 sims have come a long way from the AW AOL days.

<S> 
Maverick
Aka "Mav", Aces High
Aka "Mav", Air Warrior
24th Skull Fighter/Bomber Squadron

Offline lazydog

• Copper Member
Re: Observations from a guy new to AH(38 driver)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 12:07:01 PM »
well if you were the mav in MW yesterday in the 51 you flew that thing very well if you ask me  :salute oh welcome to your new addiction

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 12:10:56 PM »
7) They need a "nub" arena where all the new pilots can fly, and only them can be in it until they "graduate".  Not a training arena or anything, but a full fledged arena that you can only be in when you have less than lets say 200 hours of flight time (or some other sort of qualification that makes sense).   While I am pretty persistant and I will get better, I think some may be scared off by the fact there are so many talented and experienced players. 

I doubt it will help anyone. A arena with only completely unexperienced players means no one to learn from, reinforcing wrong habits. It would be just delaying the "OMG I suck" experience one will get once entering the "regular" MA's. Also it would be a place where misinformation about game (gameplay mechanics, tactics, performance) would almost freely float around due to almost nobody having a clue

I remember... with a few notable exceptions, most H2H regulars got some serious whipping when they first went to the MA after H2H was taken down, no matter how long they played in H2H before.

BTW... the "talented and experienced players" are actually the minority in MA's ;)

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 12:14:13 PM »
Welcome back to the genre :aok

Since you're not new to these kind of games, it should mostly be a matter of getting reacquainted.  Grab a friend and head into the Training Arena or Dueling Arena for a few hours a week, and it should start to come back to you.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 12:16:47 PM »
Oh I forgot.. the quickest way to get more success is to either hook up with a trainer, or look for a mentor. You are lucky if you are flying the 38, because there are alot dedicated 38 drivers out there that are not only very capable fighters but also very willing to help any eager new "light bomber" pilot :)

I'm convinced with your previous experience and some tutoring, your kills/assist ratio will improve very quickly  :aok
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 12:23:38 PM »
Just avoid landing lessons from Guppy35,....unless you are fond of bent, ripped, mangled, mauled, mashed, crunched, warped, stressed, distressed, fractured, bullet riddled and/or missing pieces. :)

And welcome to the game!
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 12:27:10 PM »
Just avoid landing lessons from Guppy35,....unless you are fond of bent, ripped, mangled, mauled, mashed, crunched, warped, stressed, distressed, fractured, bullet riddled and/or missing pieces. :)

And welcome to the game!

Now that's the best advice ever.  :rofl :rofl
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 12:31:39 PM by Dragon »
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 12:48:26 PM »
Hi guys, I am sure some of you guys have shot me down at least once.  Probably most of you in fact.  :eek:

Anyways, I haven't WW2 simmed since AW "back in the day" so I am pretty rusty but I thought I would give you guys some opinions from a new guy on how it feels in AH.  I love the game. The game doesn't love me though, but hopefully I will get better.

Hiya Mav, I remember you from AW.  The learning curve is a little steep but since you've already have experience in flight sims, the curve is a little easier.  The P-38 in AH is a great plane if flown properly and in the hands of an experienced driver, one of the most deadliest planes in the game. 

If the P-38 is going to be your main ride in AH, then you should hook up with us SAPP guys as we're an evil organization of P-38 enthusiasts bent on world domination.  There are also a few P-38 squadrons like the 479th "Riddle's Raiders" (old time AW squadron), the 80th (famous for landing with less plane parts then they took off with) and the newly formed 82nd squadron.  If you need any tips, just ask any of the P-38 flyers in the 479th or any of the 80th or 82nd guys and for a price (usually 2 ewes and a 12 pack of beer) we'll be more than happy to share our vast and invaluable knowledge of the P-38.

ack-ack
479th FG
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 01:21:26 PM »
Welcome to AH Mav!

When S.A.P.P. guys are on we tune to channel 138. Your welcome to tune in anytime and fly with us.

Early next month there will be a P38 Clinic held in the Training Arena. Keep a lookout for the dates.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 01:23:24 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 01:34:51 PM »

And welcome to the game!

All true but you forgot lacerated, battered, beaten, pummeled, ravaged, mutilated, maimed.... :)

On the other hand following him around and shooting at the people who are doing the mauling is a great way to improve the 'ol K/D ratio. And despite all the horrific things 'ol Guppy/Corkyjr does to his poor poor plane they keep giving him new ones. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 01:47:57 PM »

And welcome to the game!

I thought that taking lessons from any S.A.P.P. pilot was a bad idea... Then again, if it's not been ripped to shreds, missing a wing, landing gear, with a PW, no elevators, while on fire then where's the fun in the sortie?

Good to see you Mav, remember, if you want some help with anything, there's always plenty of people who know what they're doing willing to help out.
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 01:55:32 PM »
Welcome to Aces High! :)

Soulyss, Shuffler, Ack-Ack are just a few of some excellent P-38 sticks in the game. Look them up.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 02:02:40 PM »
All true but you forgot lacerated, battered, beaten, pummeled, ravaged, mutilated, maimed.... :)

On the other hand following him around and shooting at the people who are doing the mauling is a great way to improve the 'ol K/D ratio. And despite all the horrific things 'ol Guppy/Corkyjr does to his poor poor plane they keep giving him new ones. :)

Not to mention the verbal lashings we take on squad vox whenever we don't clear his six.  :uhoh
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 02:04:38 PM »
Welcome to AH, Mav!

See ya up!
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 02:07:47 PM »

And welcome to the game!

LOL it could be that Mav is to blame for for my 'flying' as his was the first squad I was ever in, back in Airwarrior :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters