Author Topic: New thread on TRIM  (Read 1836 times)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: New thread on TRIM
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2009, 08:04:55 PM »
Also, in Aces High, there isn't an airplane in the game that I don't have the elevator authority to pull it into a stall at any speed.  So adding nose up elevator trim would be useless, because you couldn't use that extra elevator to pull the nose around any faster after you've exceeded the wings critical angle of attack.
Try the Mossie.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Sonicblu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2009, 08:19:48 PM »
For a simple visual aid for those who are not sure if adjusting trim help turn tighter. ( it does not )

get in a 38 pu the head position all the way back and and watch the yoke. hope thats the right term for the sitck in a 38.

pull back on the joystick  all the way it will only move so far. now adjust trim all the way up and pull back it still stops at the same place.

you can see that the trim just make fine adjustments.

I would ask guys in the DA how are you getting around so fast. and they would tell me to use the trim key.  :x

OH ya everyone knows that Alt f4 will make you turn tighter and put you in god mode. :devil

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2009, 01:19:51 AM »
I think its true that in r/l trim is used to make things easier for the pilot so that time spent at the stick isnt such a stress. In AH though it seems to me that trim is all about speed and not about pilot load but thats because in AH 'neutral' is always in the middle and the load on the pilot never changes. HT did a very good job on taking things as far as he could with the controls and his ideas about trim add a whole new level to combat. I have heard the arguments about trims becoming a new control component and I just dont buy it. Its not a 'secret victory button' or whatever its just trim but it is important to learn and thats why we have the training arena.

In WWII some airplanes had no trim controls but in AH everyone has trim and there isnt anything more fair than that. Maybe not realistic but it is fair.

The only thing you need to learn about trims really is how to change it. Set your controls up so you can trim and NEVER use combat trim. Learn how to trim to go fast and then learn how to trim for combat and remember that as the fight slows down you will always have to re-trim. Dont forget to retrim for speed after you are finished fighting. Also learn how to use the speed command (.speed 175 or .speed 225 or what have you) and when to use it!

I could write 25 pages on this but since I just did that you will have to wait until its ready.  :D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 01:21:32 AM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2009, 07:40:59 AM »
I think its true that in r/l trim is used to make things easier for the pilot so that time spent at the stick isnt such a stress. In AH though it seems to me that trim is all about speed and not about pilot load but thats because in AH 'neutral' is always in the middle and the load on the pilot never changes. HT did a very good job on taking things as far as he could with the controls and his ideas about trim add a whole new level to combat. I have heard the arguments about trims becoming a new control component and I just dont buy it. Its not a 'secret victory button' or whatever its just trim but it is important to learn and thats why we have the training arena.

In WWII some airplanes had no trim controls but in AH everyone has trim and there isnt anything more fair than that. Maybe not realistic but it is fair.

The only thing you need to learn about trims really is how to change it. Set your controls up so you can trim and NEVER use combat trim. Learn how to trim to go fast and then learn how to trim for combat and remember that as the fight slows down you will always have to re-trim. Dont forget to retrim for speed after you are finished fighting. Also learn how to use the speed command (.speed 175 or .speed 225 or what have you) and when to use it!

I could write 25 pages on this but since I just did that you will have to wait until its ready.  :D

it does change pilot load in here.

take a spit, or zeek.....or pony........turn off compat trim, and use manual take off. leave the aircraft trimmed as it was for takeoff.

accelerate to your cruise speed. you'll be holding a lot of rudder, and stick offset. adjust the trims so you[re flying hands off now. now pull the throttle back to 1/2. you'll be changing your stick and rudder to compensate.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2009, 07:50:15 AM »
You know how I learned about trim in the game? 

The first time I took up a plane in AH I used auto take-off, got into the air, pointed the plane in the direction I wanted to go and let go of the stick expecting it to go into auto pilot just like it had in AW.  Pretty soon I was rolling off to one side, my ascent rate had changed and I started trimminig.  I was thinking "this is going to take a lot more effort".

I flew like that for the first few days before I figured out the auto pilot modes.   :)
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2009, 07:54:02 AM »
I thought that when you entered compression that it was caused by the disruption of the airflow over the control surfaces.(shock wave) If that is the case then trim tabs would not work because the airflow over them would cause them to not work properly with the disturbed air.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 07:56:43 AM by MajWoody »
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2009, 08:12:46 AM »
I thought that when you entered compression that it was caused by the disruption of the airflow over the control surfaces.(shock wave) If that is the case then trim tabs would not work because the airflow over them would cause them to not work properly with the disturbed air.
THEY  don't. getting into thicker air does.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2009, 08:44:07 AM »
You know how I learned about trim in the game? 

The first time I took up a plane in AH I used auto take-off, got into the air, pointed the plane in the direction I wanted to go and let go of the stick expecting it to go into auto pilot just like it had in AW.  Pretty soon I was rolling off to one side, my ascent rate had changed and I started trimminig.  I was thinking "this is going to take a lot more effort".

I flew like that for the first few days before I figured out the auto pilot modes.   :)

HT's Warbirds had the exact same trim controls as AH, except there was no 'combat trim.'  There was no auto-takeoff either.  Otherwise everything was the same, e.g. shift-x, cntrl-x, etc.

Smart pilots would trim their aircraft for their anticipated future speed before they entered a fight.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2009, 08:52:11 AM »
HT's Warbirds had the exact same trim controls as AH, except there was no 'combat trim.'  There was no auto-takeoff either.  Otherwise everything was the same, e.g. shift-x, cntrl-x, etc.

Smart pilots would trim their aircraft for their anticipated future speed before they entered a fight.
I trim mine for cruise flight. when i see a furball, i re-adjust it for slow flight. it lets me use a little less stick input.
 the only thing i run into, is if the con i'm fighting, extends, then i have to retrim in order to follow him.

i have noticed that if i fight slow with combat trim on, it almost seems as if i'm fighting AGAINST the trim at that point.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2009, 09:25:58 AM »
The only thing you need to learn about trims really is how to change it. Set your controls up so you can trim and NEVER use combat trim. Learn how to trim to go fast and then learn how to trim for combat and remember that as the fight slows down you will always have to re-trim. Dont forget to retrim for speed after you are finished fighting.

I'm too lazy. I just use combat trim 95% of my time in Aces High. I only trim manually temporary on a few occasions: Going >450 in a 109, or being very slow with flaps out on a F4U for example.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 09:32:04 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wreked

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2009, 09:35:41 AM »
OK one of you techie can jump in here.... :D

As I understand it from some comments here - "trim" WILL help/totally take the load off the pilots controls so that it is  "easier" physically on him. Fair enuff and understood.

At the same time it brings the planes "axis's into optimum alignment with the direction of flight so that there is minimum drag created (best angle of attack to direction of air flow over the control surfaces). If this is true them "trim" MUST IMO have some "efficiency" factor to the overall performance of the vehicle.(however minor) OR could it have a major effect??

If there is NO effect to aircraft efficiency then it would seem with "fly-by-wire" set ups in todays aircraft (NO load on pilot at all) modern aircraft would have no need to "trim" at all - Can somone please comment on this?

...technodweeb here eh! :confused:
HO is a HO is a HO!!
You can lead a donkey to a FACT - you just can't make them think!

cheers eh!!