Author Topic: Perhaps an alternative?? The game doesn't suck.  (Read 1381 times)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
Perhaps an alternative?? The game doesn't suck.
« on: July 31, 2009, 10:51:53 AM »
Screwing the player base is probably the last thing on the agenda of HTC.  I usually doesn't bode well for the bottom line.

If some guys still have issues with the game, it's not quite yet the end of the world.  I don't claim to know all the innermost secrets of HiTech's SOP or their business model, but the complaints/threats to close accounts are already getting a bit old. 

I would wager total staff is less than 10.  Pretty impressive for the most accurately modeled combat flight sim on the market.  Especially for the average price of $00.50/day. 

Sure, they could deliver us a super duper game, prepackaged like a fillet Mignon dinner without bugs, patches, and raring to go.  They could slap some kind of logo feces on it like EA does, or have some famous WWII pilot narrate a fancy flash intro that wastes your time when you could be flying.

I bet it wouldn't be $14.95/month anymore.  Development teams cost money.  They also usually don't have such a diverse background and wide range of different equipment.  Lots of times they are more educated than the common player and have better rigs.

Here's a clue.......    Me?  You?   Us?   The community?

WE are the development team   :x

WE are the beta testers  :x

WE are the  feedback team, the skinners, the CM's, the arena staff members, the terrain makers, etc.

Nowhere else could HTC find such a diverse range of rigs that people play on, feedback, different skills levels with a computer, etc.  That is how (I'm pretty sure, at least) that they can keep the cost to play, palatable.

What an awesome approach to running a business, and what an awesome community.   :aok

I know of no other game that lets its player base have such involvement in the development of it's product without shoving down your throat how "uber" their new game is.  If your system can't run our "uber" game, then piss off, buy a better rig is how they will respond.

I doubt that HTC's intent is to drive off anyone.  I'm am sure, however, that they are trying to make things better for us all.  They DO have to keep evolving to be competitive.  Show me another software company that works as closely with their player base as this one.  How many others will respond, within minutes, to a tech issue on their forums?  Do you think the #1 geek at EA will wake up out of a sound sleep, log into an arena, actually make his/her presence known, and ask questions to fix an issue like I have seen Skuzzy (and other HTC staff) do?   Doubt it.

For you guys crying (yes I say crying, because most of the responses have been  "I'll just cancel my account" )  how about an alternative if you REALLY need to upgrade.......

Most hobbies require some investment of time and/or money.

How much you are willing to invest all depends on how serious one is about their hobby.

Sometimes investing a little more time can be equal to money.

Use Craig's list, or hell, even post questions here.

I'm sure there are players in the community that have upgraded their equipment just to make their rig scream (not just to run this particular game) that may be willing to part with an older Video card that is better than the one you have for a modest fee.  Hell, there may be guys whose wives are nagging them  "Honey, when are you going to get rid of that pile of computer "junk" in the garage?" 
My system is not "uber", nor is it "junk".  It was, however, fairly inexpensive.  The one I am running the game on, now is cobbled together from scavenged parts....

Tower, MoBo, CPU, Power Supply -------   Rescued from fire at my work a few years age (smoke stained but working)

HDD      ------      500 GB  for < $100 online

Ram  ------------  2 GB  ~ $100

Video Card -----------  Free, scavenged from a computer my uncle blew the MoBo on and he bought a new one  (Here Dan, you want this for parts?)

As for my brewing hobby, most everything was free, from Craig's List, or cheap from the corkboard ads at the Homebrew shop

It IS possible that if you feel you really, really, absolutely MUST upgrade to make your hobby more enjoyable, there are alternatives to forking out big bucks. 

Ask your squaddies, ask around on this BBS.

It is all about how important your hobby (in this case Aces High) is to you, and how resourceful you are.

You can't expect HTC to stay in the stone age and still make improvements on the game at the same time.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 10:53:27 AM by VonMessa »
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
Re: Perhaps an alternative?? The game doesn't suck.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 10:54:26 AM »
Awesome post! Down with EA...Long live HTC! 
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 11:13:14 AM »
 :salute

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 11:14:55 AM »
Nice post sir :salute
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 11:18:56 AM »
Why do these people just not turn off the advanced graphic options, is it REALLY that hard to figure out?
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 11:20:43 AM »
more more!!
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 11:26:52 AM »
Especially for the average price of $00.50/day. 
Except in February.  I was thinking of quitting unless HTC adds two days to February.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 11:31:24 AM »
Good post

I love the new game.  I hope this weeds out some of the whiners...
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 11:35:13 AM »
Good post

I love the new game.  I hope this weeds out some of the whiners...

:aok
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 11:35:19 AM »
WTH????

common sense????? how dare you!!??

WTG dude....nice post.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 11:37:05 AM »
Why do these people just not turn off the advanced graphic options, is it REALLY that hard to figure out?

For some people it may be.........

The support staff has been most accommodating.

They are not asking for much.

Dxdiag and which settings you are running, Perhaps some film from time to time.  

In response they get whines.

<phone rings>

"Hello, HTC, this is Pyro"

"Puter no more playee gamesez"

"Send me some diagnostic info, Ill tell you how to do it"

"Boo Hoo, Youz guysez are teh suxor"

This is what I'm seeing a lot of.

I mean, seriously, how many software development companies will bend over backwards and all but fork over their source code to help a customer?
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline vatiAH

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 11:56:57 AM »
Ductus Exemplo:  Lead by Example

Offline j500ss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 12:09:41 PM »
Von,    :salute   Another positive thread to the issues some are having, what a breath of fresh air.  DON"T give up guys, try things even if people say " no don't do"  I started out with frame rates around 20. Now a couple days later my frame rates are in the 60's in the air.  

Yea I had to play with video settings, resolutions, refresh rates, and my vid card settings too. No I cannot run 1680x1050 at 60fps, but I never did, I had no clue what the game even looked like at that resolution, yea its reall cool, but where I'm at now ( 11?? x 8?? don't remember the exact numbers) looks so close it is not funny. The only issue I have is fuzzy gauges, slight zoom in and they clear up.  Maybe it will be fixed, maybe not, but I know my plane well enough I know what gauge is what and where the needle should be anyways. Everything else is really good IMO.

Keep playing around and trying, find the best that works. I'm sure HTC has no intent on losing 1 customer if they can help it, it would be bad business.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 12:22:29 PM »
Von are you sober???  :huh

Nice post. <S>  :)
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 12:24:05 PM »
Von, that's ridiculous. Giving back to the community (and even *gasp* having fun in the process) is just way too much work. I don't pay $15 a month to do work, after all.

<- Is enjoying the update.