Author Topic: P-38's  (Read 1070 times)

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
Re: P-38's
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 10:40:45 AM »
Yeah, Apperantly they provide great medicare.  :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 04:31:25 PM »
Hey, don't want to start a brand new thread so I'll put my question here.

I just took a read here: http://www.jamesreese.org/hangarflying/Issue6.htm and I found this:

"Some fellows report that their props have a tendency to run away just after they increase power and start down. This is very possible. What actually happens is that due to the rapid acceleration the governing speed of the props does not cut in fast enough. This lag causes the props to start running away and you may experience them running up as much as 3500 RPM. We have found a way to avoid this over-revving. When you first put your nose down before you begin to accelerate, bring the prop governor lever back to about 2600 RPM. Leave it there until your governors take hold; then you can put the props in full low pitch without fear of over-revving."

Was this true for later models of the P-38 and did this happen EVERY time you increased power? It would be a significant disadvantage in combat to have to adjust your RPMs, wait for the governor kick-in and THEN increase throttle.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 05:32:47 PM »
despite my comments about calling the p38 a bomber or B38 ( Please dont get me while I lay in bed asleep SAPP  :pray) I think she is a great fighter that every now and then I take her up in the DA. I mainly use her in the vertical, which she is superb at doing so and can catch alot of people out...esp when they think hummm p38 nice big easy kill. Another dangerous thing about them that I have found whilst fighting against p38s is when the buggers take off tracers they are even more lethal with the superb gun package she has...you dont know they are trying to hit you at D800  untill they give my dora a nasty oil leak of break some parts of her :D

« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 05:34:28 PM by jdbecks »
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 05:38:58 PM »
despite my comments about calling the p38 a bomber or B38 ( Please dont get me while I lay in bed asleep SAPP  :pray) I think she is a great fighter that every now and then I take her up in the DA. I mainly use her in the vertical, which she is superb at doing so and can catch alot of people out...esp when they think hummm p38 nice big easy kill. Another dangerous thing about them that I have found whilst fighting against p38s is when the buggers take off tracers they are even more lethal with the superb gun package she has...you dont know they are trying to hit you at D800  untill they give my dora a nasty oil leak of break some parts of her :D

i wish i could aim without tracers.......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)