Author Topic: Why are people so intolerant of newbs?  (Read 4515 times)

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Re: Why are people so intolerant of newbs?
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2009, 12:09:18 PM »
Not sure that's always true.  Showing that you've made an effort before asking for help is a common convention.  It's especially standard when you want to get a geek's help.  If you come up to him and show that you haven't even tried to figure it the problem out on your own, it's understandable that he's not inclined to help out.  Not when the answer might be right there for you to see if you bothered to look. 

In a general sense, leeching someone's time and effort for something that you could've done yourself for free and been rewarded with an actual understanding instead of being spoonfed (i.e. entertaining your ignorance/dependency), and for no tangible benefit to that someone, is a lose-lose situation. 
What he said--you can often tell from the question that the guy has a clue, and has already expended some effort to that end, which is admirable and will usually be responded to in kind

<edit Yes, there WAS a manual in 1999-2000 or so, when I first tried this---I kept the list of key and dot commands so I could alt-tab and see them quickly>
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 12:12:35 PM by bj229r »
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2009, 12:18:57 PM »
I have a question that is kina emberassing, what does "HO" mean. I'm kinda inocent even though I'm not really newb :angel:.

You will get more answers to this than you can stomach, but in the simplest sense, a "HO" is a situation where two aircraft each have a guns solution on the other simultaneously.  It stands for "Head-On."
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2009, 12:30:55 PM »
You will get more answers to this than you can stomach, but in the simplest sense, a "HO" is a situation where two aircraft each have a guns solution on the other simultaneously.  It stands for "Head-On."

For me the "TRUE" lame HO is from a vet cartoon pilot! Even if it's a high angle or front quarter deflection it is still a HO IMO. I hold this standard for vet pilots only!! For me NEWBS never HO it is the natural learning curve for ALL players of this product! Vets know better and should play so  :aok

Vets are good enough to work a different shot! And they should :aok :aok

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2009, 01:32:51 PM »

vets are good enough to negate the majority of ones avoidance maneuvers.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Tr1gg22

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2009, 01:39:39 PM »
People here are intolerant of anything.

Intolerant of n0bs,
Intolerant of facts
Intolerant of spits
Intolerant of furballers, warwinners, toolshedders, pickers, alt dweebs
Intolerant of other palyer shooting them down
Intolerant of small maps, large maps, new maps,oldmaps
Intolerant of old graphics
Intolerant of new graphics

:aok :aok
"CO" of the Wobblin Gobblins...

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2009, 01:50:26 PM »
For me the "TRUE" lame HO is from a vet cartoon pilot! Even if it's a high angle or front quarter deflection it is still a HO IMO. I hold this standard for vet pilots only!! For me NEWBS never HO it is the natural learning curve for ALL players of this product! Vets know better and should play so  :aok

Its only a HO if they can shoot back.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2009, 01:51:22 PM »
Some people can get annoying after multiple questions and it's obvious they haven't even tried to figure this out before blasting questions in the MA.  Personally, I know I spent a while just flying offline or by myself to figure stuff out before I jumped into too much action.  Printed out the "quick reference guide" and was set for most things.  After a few weeks you'll catch on to how stuff works and how people act in the game.

On thing that did bug me was a couple months ago when I just started playing around with multiple engine controls.  I wasn't finding stuff in the information I printed out (only to find it staring me in the face on that quick reference guide later, but that's besides the point).  I put the question out there in the MA in a complete sentence with mostly correct grammar (English wasn't my favorite subject) only to be bombarded with "read the manual n00b!" "Go to the Training Arena first!" and my personal favorite "Alt + F4".  Please stop using Alt F4, it's old, it's annoying, most of us have fallen for it once and we moved on, please do the same.

So it takes a little from both sides. But kids will keep on jumping on and asking before thinking, that'll annoy people and they'll yell at them, then they'll tell them to use Alt + F4, It happened back in Air Warrior, it'll continue here.

Everything changes, everything stays the same.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2009, 02:08:22 PM »
vets are good enough to negate the majority of ones avoidance maneuvers.

So true!! and this is why they should work for a different shot :aok :aok

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2009, 02:10:15 PM »
So true!! and this is why they should work for a different shot :aok :aok

If I ever cross your guns, by all means squeeze the trigger...  You might want freebies, but I don't.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Tempest3

• Zinc Member
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2009, 02:13:02 PM »
I was fortunate enough to have already learned what Alt+F4 did before someone told me to use it...

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2009, 02:20:15 PM »
I got my shots recently..... according to my medical records I can now tolerate them.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »

Front quarter shots from an angle gained on a lead turn is working for a different 'shot'.  This notion that you're only good if you kill someone from the dead six spot is silly and nothing more than someone's sour grapes.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2009, 02:28:27 PM »
People here are intolerant of anything.

Intolerant of n0bs,
Intolerant of facts
Intolerant of spits
Intolerant of furballers, warwinners, toolshedders, pickers, alt dweebs
Intolerant of other palyer shooting them down
Intolerant of small maps, large maps, new maps,oldmaps
Intolerant of old graphics
Intolerant of new graphics

I lol'ed
Strokes

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2009, 02:39:52 PM »
Front quarter shots from an angle gained on a lead turn is working for a different 'shot'.  This notion that you're only good if you kill someone from the dead six spot is silly and nothing more than someone's sour grapes.

ack-ack

the front quarter shots i've gotten, are nowhere near ho's. i'm generally a min. of 30 degrees off of them. they're at such an angle, that if i were to hit the cockpit, the rounds would enter through the top, rather than the windscreen.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2009, 04:04:39 PM »
...Showing that you've made an effort before asking for help is a common convention.  It's especially standard when you want to get a geek's help.  If you come up to him and show that you haven't even tried to figure it the problem out on your own, it's understandable that he's not inclined to help out.  Not when the answer might be right there for you to see if you bothered to look.

In a general sense, leeching someone's time and effort for something that you could've done yourself for free and been rewarded with an actual understanding instead of being spoonfed (i.e. entertaining your ignorance/dependency), and for no tangible benefit to that someone, is a lose-lose situation. 

Well, yes, in theory.  In practice though how hard it is to type "F6" or "backspace b"?  I mean we do want the noobs to stick around, no?  Keep the game healthy, yes?  And I doubt that somehow this is going to reinforce a pattern and three months later the same guy will be typing on country "sum1 tell me how to beat a rolling scissors quick!"

I was a noob 4 times between AW and now though so I'm more noob than not at this point, so maybe I see it differently.  And there were always some cats to help me out when I started this game again so I feel obligated to help out a little, in turn.

ps.  sum1 tell me how to beat a rolling scissors quick!
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.