Author Topic: Bomber Competitions  (Read 1341 times)

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
Bomber Competitions
« on: August 03, 2009, 07:19:33 AM »
All the events here save FSO, Scenarios, and Snapshots are not bomber driven.  For us bomber pilots we would like to see something for us.  Things like...

1) High altitude precision bombing with cloud layers and wind mix
2) Carpet bombing for maximum destruction
3) Timed sorties for maximum destruction
4) Defensive flying from fighters

Competitions would be using the variety of bombers in hangar list.  That way the difficulty factor would rise using bombers like Ju-88's, Bostons, Carrier bombers, and Stukas.  Heavy bombers for special competitions to allow for climb rate or air launched for time savings.

Just a request to those in charge of the Special events.

Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
Re: Bomber Competitions
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 11:05:41 PM »
1) I would love this one as its probably one of the last frontiers in AcesHigh

2) Carpet bombing would be a real problem with the targets we have now. The only one I can think that is large enough is the Tokyo, Japan.

3) The very act of bombing is a patient mans sport so I don't know if I would enjoy this.

4) I don't know how you would referee this one. To be fair everyone would have to see the same person(s) the same amount. Then you have to deal with each attack being the same. Would be interesting.....

I would show up....

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 12:51:20 AM »
Sounds like fun, i would lose epicly but sounds like fun. :aok
Strokes

Offline HB555

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 01:13:57 AM »
Some maps do have air starts...saves lots of time if there are targets close by. If not, climb to target and enjoy the smack talk along the way.
Targets could be Strat factories with instant rebuild, pilots would want to get a bit a separation from each other.
Clouds and or wind layers could be implemented.
Scoring could be based on number of buildings killed per the logs, ties broken by number of buildings damaged.

Yup, it is doable, but you would have to find at least one CM willing to take the time to put it together and host it.
The Training arena map could be used, as well, I believe. Lots of places for bombers on that terrain, and I  am pretty sure a CM can load it up in the SEA's
Does sound interesting, but I would not anticipate huge turnouts.
Snoopy Bell

HB555 A gentleman, with a school boys heart, and crazy enough to think he is a cartoon dog.

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 02:26:56 AM »
I bet FORTRESS would come...
Strokes

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 06:38:08 AM »
The first competition would be a simple one for the trial and error process.  Event logs would be the determining factor for score.  Finding a CM should be easy for setting up a map and requesting a slot in SEA.

The real thing now is gathering enough interest in one.  There would be several AK's participating that I know of.  Let's get a list going to who wants to join in.
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 01:13:51 AM »
IN

As a thought...

You could have multiple layers of wind going up to 30k. Specific bombing altitude would players choice. However for every 1k in altitude you get additional points. In other words you use the altitude as a score multiplier. The best combination of altitude and score would win. It would introduce some variability and bring player skill out very nicely.

Many of the AvA terrains have air starts that would do nicely for something like this.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 01:20:29 AM by Strip »

Offline VANDALS

• Zinc Member
      • 666th BARBARIANS FG
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 12:59:09 AM »
mmmm sounds interesting
"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone is not thinking"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 05:49:37 PM »
<<< Not a buff driver but you can use the TA terrain. They have some high bases to up from and multiple targets close in. Just a thought. <S>

If you get together a plan and some written rules with descriptions of the different competitions I bet yall might get one of the CMs to open up an SEA room to have it in. Planning is the important thing.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 08:21:46 PM »
Its all setup....

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,273776.0.html

You can find all the details in this thread.