Author Topic: X-wing gunsight  (Read 8145 times)

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
Re: X-wing gunsight
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 03:11:43 PM »
so how do I add this one to my gunsights?

You should save it as a .bmp, rather than a .jpg, photobucket doesn't do .bmps, as far as I know. Then, you put the gunsight into the sights folder inside your Aces High folder. If it doesn't work right, I'll put a copy up on imageshack.

X-wing = speed, durability, A2G capability = Typhoon or P-51B (P-51D has too great of a Rate of Fire)
Y-wing = P-38 But they Y-wing is fairly slow though, I would have put it with the A-20/Boston III
TIE fighter = A6M Zero The TIE may be manuverable, like the Zero, but it should be deadly. I was thinking Spitfire deadly.

I wouldn't mind having the Star Wars laser and/or cannon effects as sound files, either.  :lol

Now, Motley, what about those of us who know mitichlorians are BS?
I would hope that some snapshot, we will get a specially designed terrain, with the default skins for some planes being painted to look like X-wings and whatnot, and a special soundpack with the engine and laser sounds. I wonder how hard it could be? I guess I'll have to wait for the new Terrain Editor to find out.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 08:12:01 PM »
From what I remember playing Rebel Squadron, TIE fighters were maneuverable, lightly armored and moderately fast.... I don't remember anything special about their firepower.
I would say TIE Fighters are Zeke's and TIE Interceptors are Spitfires :)

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 08:50:59 PM »
From what I remember playing Rebel Squadron, TIE fighters were maneuverable, lightly armored and moderately fast.... I don't remember anything special about their firepower.
I would say TIE Fighters are Zeke's and TIE Interceptors are Spitfires :)
Well, the TIE Fighters were supposed to be deadly to old junkers, such as the Koensayr Y-Wing, which was relatively slow yet had a powerful armament. The TIE fighters were manueverable and, having two fairly high powered lasers, though they did have a fairly limited power supply, made mincemeat of the Y-Wings. Thus, I vote the TIE fighter to be the Spitfire V due to it's lack of cannon ammo.

The TIE Interceptor however was faster, more heavily armed with four wingtip blaster cannons and two chin laser cannons, more manuverable thanks to the its new twin ion engines with advanced ion-stream projectors (think thrust vectoring), and a redesign of its solar panel array to provide more energy to power the new parts. Due to this, I vote for the Spitfire XIV to be the TIE interceptor, as it is just as flimsy as the other Spitfires.

Sidenote, the above is pretty much a shortened copy paste from Wookiepedia and the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels, a book on Star Wars craft. Also, I'm going off of the movies' footage, as what happens in the movies is considered to be the ultimate truth among both Star Wars fans and Star Wars game developers, though the developers would like to create a game, rather than a slaughterfest.
Also, in Rogue Squadron, not only did they turn down the lethality of the enemy lasers as a gameplay mechanic, the X-Wing is sturdier than its size would suggest.

Opinions are fun!
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 08:36:15 PM »
This is what the computer gunsights on the X-Wings used.

And this is the one used on the Tie Interceptor.

The sight you made I believe was the sight that was used on the old Star Wars arcade game from the '80s.

ack-ack

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 08:51:56 PM »
NERDS!!!!!  The lot of you, NERDS!!!!
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Clone155

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 09:23:43 PM »
Actually, I don't think the X-wing had a gunsight, because of automatic targeting systems.

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 03:58:02 PM »
Actually, I don't think the X-wing had a gunsight, because of automatic targeting systems.
It wasn't so much a gunsight, but rather a ship to ship targeting system. The targeting system told you whether or not your lasers would hit your target. Or, at least as far as I could tell.

The sight you made I believe was the sight that was used on the old Star Wars arcade game from the '80s.

ack-ack

Thanks for the TIE Fighter image AKAK, running Photoshop and WMP playing Star Wars with its resource gobbling DRM does not work well on my 2003 computer.

Screen captures from the Star Wars DVD collection that I didn't know we had.

I made the gunsight before I had anything to reference it, so I made it look like I remember it to. I think I like my sight more than the one in the movie.

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 06:30:39 PM »
yeah enker if you could do that, it'd be much appreciated  :aok

Offline GFShill

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 06:31:35 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm pretty sure that's just the A2G sight.  The A2A had 4 triangles in the corners.
==========

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 08:11:05 PM »
yeah enker if you could do that, it'd be much appreciated  :aok
Here you go, I think .PNGs work as gunsights.

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2009, 08:07:29 AM »
Thanks Enker  :aok

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2009, 01:46:40 PM »
The X-wing series of games had gunsights....

In ANH, they have shot on the inside of Vader's cockpit and it actually shows the laser canons tracking the target while the cockpit is stationary..
It would've been pointless to use this element in the games..  If anyone remembers playing them, it was extremely difficult it hit anything with the
laser cannons in the X-Wing series unless you were in a Corellian Transport (like the Millennium Falcon) that had auto gun support..  You could either lock
the ventral and dorsal turrets to fire forward, or you could have them operate independently..  Man, I miss those games..... :cry
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 01:49:24 PM by Anodizer »
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 03:14:56 PM »

And this is the one used on the Tie Interceptor.

ack-ack

Can somebody please make one from the TIE Interceptor?  I think that's even better.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 08:01:27 PM »

Can somebody please make one from the TIE Interceptor?  I think that's even better.

Hereya go.  :salute

***G3-MF***

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2009, 08:41:29 PM »
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."