Author Topic: HTC.....Poly Count  (Read 2243 times)

Offline helbent

• Nickel Member
Re: HTC.....Poly Count
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2009, 05:24:22 PM »
Well, I for one like the railings and the tower alot, they look great Strip, stay after it.
Creator and original CO of the now HiJacked Squad -=Hell Hounds=-
Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Avator by fugi.

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2009, 05:43:57 PM »
Thanks, Helbent

<S>Strip
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 05:57:43 PM by Strip »

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2009, 08:52:11 PM »
Significantly more than 4000 polys, but it IS a bit more complicated than that jet....

(Image removed from quote.)

Couldn't help showing off.

:D
At 4300 polys, looks more complicated, yet isn't.

As I would rather send you to see his image rather than post it here, Link= http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,60534.msg1201132.html#msg1201132

I would say that this guy is a master of simplifying models while still not skimping on detail.

Also, Strip, I like the way the tower looks. There is just something about how the tower stands that I like, though I'm not really sure why.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2009, 07:46:08 AM »
Saxman, there are a ton of wasted poly's on that X-wing. You can probably bang that out with half the amount. You just need to use your multipliers. I think mesh smooth would be a good thing for you to mess with. You can also remove a ton of poly's by removing half the amount of sides that you currently have on your cylinders..

You can also make use of normal, spec and ambient occlusion mapping to get get a ton of detail with out wasting poly's.

Here is one of mine, this is before mesh smoothing and optimization. This is a shade over  2.5k, which is acceptable by any standards of 3D game asset creation. When i get done simplifying the Gatling barrels it will be around 1.8k.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 07:53:40 AM by Ciaphas »
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2009, 08:09:21 AM »
It's actually not quite as high as you might think. I haven't played with it for a while, but I think they count is somewhere around 7k with a mix of quads and triangles. Mesh smoothing IS turned on by AC3D. The cannon barrels could stand for some reduction, but a lot of the poly count once again owes to the complexity of the model (there's detail on the S-foil interior that's not visible in this screen, for one. Multiply that by the four wings).

I've also found it's not so much the poly count that's the issue. Based on experience with other games it's the vertex count that's more important.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2009, 08:17:35 AM »
Thanks guys...

You just gave me my next long term modeling project.

Its something that would be right at home in this game.

:devil
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 08:24:33 AM by Strip »

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2009, 08:25:22 AM »
yeah most worry bout the vertex but the poly count is a good indication of how heavy your model is going to be or already is. That X-Wing for a game? or is it an animation piece?
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2009, 08:40:44 AM »
For starters it's for some experiments I'd like to run using Orbiter (free space simulation). Although a simple box in the general silhouette would be just as useful for what I intend to do, it's just not the same as looking like I actually AM flying an X-wing. :D From there a lot will depend on just what Orbiter could be made to do....

If I were to ever put it into an actual game I'd definitely use varying LOD models. This would be the "extreme closeup" version that would only appear when looking at your own ship from an external view, or if you ever happen to get REALLY close to another one (say, within less than 50-75m). There's also a rendered cockpit (general shape with some of the larger details) on the model that you can't see because apparently AC3D can't make individual meshes transparent (the canopy glass is a separate mesh from the frame).
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2009, 09:20:51 AM »
An example of our poly count would be the LA7...

It comes in at 5472 polys at the highest LOD. That's including the high LOD cockpit.

Keep in mind that is just the base shape.

Multi-layer materials (normal mapping / specular / bump) are great ways to make an object look far more detailed than the actual geometry.
Only problem with doing it that way, is you have to create a super high poly model, then render/bake the normal maps....the build a low poly version (better to build than use poly reduction software) and map the created textures to it.
The texture resource alone increases 2-3 fold per object. Makes for a big download. If you're shipping on DVD, you can have pretty much unlimited art resources, but for us, smaller is better.

Here's a cool thread showing bump mapping on low poly panzer.
http://www.military-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2666
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 09:44:33 AM by Waffle »

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
Even though I thought I knew very little before this thread it has proven to me that I know even less than orginally thought.

:lol

All of my experience has been with 3d CAD/CAM software, if you didn't draw it, it wasn't there. In the 3d model realm you can use multiple tools to add effects that aren't physically on the model. Its been a real learning process just to begin to understand the normal mapping, specular, and bump mapping. Thats without even using those processes, gotta start somewhere I guess....

<S> Waffle...seeing your new work has garnered my interest in 3d modeling.

Strip

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2009, 10:30:01 AM »
Waffle - It's not feasible to have those normal/spec/bump mapped models as a separate download, like hires textures?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2009, 10:32:28 AM »
I was thinking about asking that...was curious myself.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2009, 10:41:40 AM »
Can you imagine some of Greebo & co's skins, normal and specular mapped?  Those Fester skins with the bare metal showing thru under sunlight   :eek:
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2009, 10:42:04 AM »
 :x

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2009, 10:52:44 AM »
Personally, I'd like to see it someday - but there's alot of issues to wade through going down that road.