Author Topic: Arena Cap suggestion  (Read 1932 times)

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Re: Arena Cap suggestion
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 02:29:41 PM »
I think if the ENY went off amount of people in flight, it would be a lot different.

Yes, you would still be outnumbered but fighting against LA7s and Spit 16s.

Fun, yes?

:huh

As near as I can tell, all the "ENY whine" threads are based on "I can't fly my UB3R pL4|\|3".
My question to the OP and others of the type:  Ever been on the side with the low numbers?  100/65/92?

How do you feel about ENY then?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 04:03:03 PM »
Yes, you would still be outnumbered but fighting against LA7s and Spit 16s.

Fun, yes?

:huh

As near as I can tell, all the "ENY whine" threads are based on "I can't fly my UB3R pL4|\|3".
My question to the OP and others of the type:  Ever been on the side with the low numbers?  100/65/92?

wrongway

The tread isn't at all about ENY or plane picks. 

It is about balancing the sides.  A side effect of this idea would be that ENY over a certain point would never happen, but that is not at all the "point" of it.

The Point would be making both LW arenas balanced and allowing the players to fly in either arena.

But to answer your question I was both in the Hoard last night (Blue) and getting hoarded (Orange) and neither was very enjoyable, hence this post.  In either arena I died very little and killed many.  What I fly doesn't really change that.

ENY doesn't really change the opponents or their playing style.  No PonyD?  up a B.  Can't take a La7?  Jump in a La5.  No spit 16?  Grab a 9.  I see very little diff. between a hoard of Spit16's and a hoard of Spit 9's.

The point isn't ENY or plane restrictions but rather fighting a huge hoard or being in the huge hoard.  Both of which suck.

I wouldn't think most players would have "issue" with the sides being fairly "even" in the arenas.  One would think that would be a desirable thing.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 04:09:54 PM »
The point isn't ENY or plane restrictions but rather fighting a huge hoard or being in the huge hoard.  Both of which suck.

I wouldn't think most players would have "issue" with the sides being fairly "even" in the arenas.  One would think that would be a desirable thing.

I like uneven distribution. Fighting the horde can be fun :)

And people being able to enter arena by switching to outnumbered side has already been tried, 3 years ago.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 05:10:37 PM »
As far as I can see your idea does nothing to promote balancing numbers between arenas.

HiTech

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 05:16:25 PM »

wrongway

How did I find it?

BORING

Just as bad flying round in an el cheapo 262 or Tempest knowing you are next to untouchable.

Most of what has been mentioned -
Boot time for inactive players etc were requested a long, long, long time ago.

As for the original idea - Considering that the main reason things seem to get out of whack is squad (1st) then country loyalty, effectively forcibly splitting squads to 'try' to balance numbers will go down like the proverbial lead balloon.

Then again crazy/widly fluctuating ENY and arena hopping (only makes it worse) were predicted when the arenas split.

Interested to hear on TT that the sides are relatively balanced (not made one yet), should give you a clue to the fix.....shouldn't it?
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline GlassJaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2009, 05:40:05 PM »
By having the two servers talk and applying the caps indivdually to each country, you can balance both arenas and individual countries.   
Exceptions to the cap should be made for squad members who are already flying in the cap'd arena or people who recently disco'd

As far as I can see your idea does nothing to promote balancing numbers between arenas.

HiTech

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2009, 05:43:59 PM »
  Exceptions to the cap should be made for squad members

Great. Most players in Aces High are in a squad. And those in huge 32 player squads will basically be excempt from CAP, while very small small squads or freelancers like me are getting the full brunt of it?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline REVRAND

• Copper Member
      • Brids Of Prey
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2009, 06:02:51 PM »
It would definitely eliminate the need to break the windows out of a goon and have your troops throw spears and tiolet paper when 50 ENY kicks in........    :O     

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2009, 06:23:33 PM »
Was one idea floated way back -

a) Move the country change option to the arena choice screen.
b) Allow players to join a capped arena but ONLY if on the lowest side.

This would be in conjuction with arena caps, i.e it only comes into effect when the arena is capped.
How many people would use the option? Anyones guess.

Moving the country change option prevents hopping once in the arena. To hop they would have to leave the arena.

Adv -
Doesnt penalise people anymore than the current setup
Gives people another option to join a capped arena on the lowest side therefore closing the gap.

[edit] Ignore, wouldn't work.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 06:31:49 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2009, 06:38:51 PM »
From what I can tell from reading posts by HT, the caps are to try to balance numbers between arenas, not within arenas.  ENY is to try to balance numbers within an arena which gives players the option to switch sides if they can't take up their l337 plainz.

And from what I've read of your posts, you seem to be complaining because your squad is too big and can't all be in the l337 arena because of the caps and/or having to fly "crap" planes.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline james

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2009, 06:42:13 PM »
Eny and fighting on the low number side is getting 5 ki61's vs my p51. In the end you land a smoking , hole filled, parts missing plane but oh what a ride it was! Arena caps suck but eny is there for a reason. You may be facing greater numbers but the equipment used isn't great. I wish eny was actually worse than what it is now. I think arena caps should be even on both Orange and blue. Keep them linked but keep the cap numbers the same between the two. Won't be long til blue arena squadrons form since it's actually more fun in there lately.
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »

HiTech
I see what you are saying there HiTech.

What I have seen is that many players/squads have a preference of which arena they like to fly in.  I tend to gravitate to Blue and I usually see many of the same faces in there.  Just like many players would rather fly in Orange and you tend to see the same players in that arena.

Players will still get to pick whichever arena they want to join as long as the numbers are balanced in that arena.  All of the "core" players/squads of a certain arena will still get to fly there.  The new (and some vets) players w/o squad or arena loyalty that can care less which arena they fly in would be filling up the slots.  They would get filtered to the proper arena and help to balance out the sides.

If a player wants to wait for an arena to open up (due to imbalance) it won't be as long of a wait as what we have now.

If we have the following in Orange with Rooks getting ENY and the arena not letting Rooks join...
Rooks: 120
Knit: 95
Bish:90

How many players does it take to drop Rook Eny down to open the arena back up for Rooks?  (bearing in mind ONLY Knit and Bish are allowed to join the arena)  10?  15 players tops?

How many players does it take to join an arena to shift the Caps now? 25?  50?  75 players?

The end result would be balanced arenas and players still being allowed to fly in their arena of choice with a shorter wait time.

I do think we would end up with one Arena being the larger of the two, but the more I think about it, the more I like that idea.  400 players in a balanced Orange and 250 in a balanced Blue would be great!  Players could pick either arena to fly in and both would develop their own "flavor".

It is similar to what we have right now except no one country would have a HUGE numbers imbalance.

I don't see the downside here.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2009, 10:28:28 PM »
WMLute, I have just thought about your idea. The result would be very simple.

Basically All people would be in one arena. All other people would be waiting for a player from a different country to join so they could get in to the 1 arena.

HiTech

Offline PK1Mw

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2009, 10:57:47 PM »

Basically All people would be in one arena. All other people would be waiting for a player from a different country to join so they could get in to the 1 arena.

HiTech

This is pretty much what happens anyway, either they log in and sit in arena or lobby and wait, or the join and exit until they can get in to the arena. (usually orange)

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2009, 11:29:34 PM »

HiTech

Maybe.  Then again maybe not.  I know if I had the choice between an arena with 400 players and one with 200 I lean towards the smaller.  I also know many other players feel the same.

I also think that both arenas have taken on their own identity to a degree and you will have player loyalty to that arena.

I honestly think that after a time you will end up with both arenas well populated.

A squaddie suggested tonight that maybe we keep SOME form of arena cap present.  Just not to the degree we have it now.  That in and of itself would keep all the players from just one arena.

I might suggest this Tue. you open up two LW arenas.  See if everybody goes into Orange(TT) or if some do indeed fly Blue.  I am betting Orange(TT) will get close to maxed out but Blue will also have a decent amount of players in it.  Lord knows I HATE TT as does most in my squad and if given the option of TT with 550in it or another LW with 150 we'd fly the 150 in a heart beat.

That might give you a general idea, but until you add the side balancing that forces players into the "other" arena we really can't use that as much of a guide.

The $50,000 question that made me start this thread is how best to populate both arenas, and at the same time keep the countries balanced.

Two LW arenas with each one having a huge hoard on one country is getting out of hand.  There HAS to be a way to balance out the players.

You tried ENY to force players to change sides (at least one of the reasons).  It didn't/doesn't work (very well anyway)

You originally did the arena split because the arenas were "unhealthy".  I would suggest they are again unhealthy.

Tonight in Blue the knits had 15-25 ENY because there were hardly any Rooks on.

They were all in Orange where they also had a 15+ ENY and were rolling the map.

This has become the "norm" in prime time.

What we now have are two arenas that are constantly out of whack with one country having a huge # advantage.

Maybe my suggestion won't "work" (I think it might) but I really feel that something needs to be put in place to balance the players.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 11:31:37 PM by WMLute »
— George Patton