Author Topic: Arena Cap suggestion  (Read 1914 times)

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Re: Arena Cap suggestion
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2009, 02:04:55 AM »
Basically it comes down to, only WE can change things by switching sides or flying in a different arena and WE would rather merely complain instead.

Only YOU can prevent ENY.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2009, 02:39:33 AM »
Basically it comes down to, only WE can change things by switching sides or flying in a different arena and WE would rather merely complain instead.

wrongway

:rolleyes:

Explain how i can get into the arena and "change" the numbers for the low side when caps keep me out.

Sure I could go into the arena that is unbalanced and help it.  How can I go into the capped arena that is unbalanced and help it?

EDIT:  You can't.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 03:20:33 AM by DMBEAR »

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2009, 03:10:25 AM »

wrongway

Why do people keep bringing this back to ENY?

This has nothing to do with ENY.

It has EVERYTHING to do with a way to balance the arenas.

It has become obvious that players will not balance themselves.  The ole' honor system just ain't gonna cut it.  With so many players trying to "win da' warz" you are getting stronger and stronger country loyalty.  For every one guy that will change sides to even things up there are 50 who doesn't care how imbalanced the arena gets as long as they Win da' War!

So lets be honest here.  The players are not going to do it on their own.  This has become painfully obvious.  The ONLY way to get a balanced arena is to Coad it into the game.

The "trick" is figuring out a fair, easy, and balanced way to achieve this goal.

We have some brilliant minds flying this game.  I am positive a solution is out there.

I even have a login screen for my idea.

The buttons under the country name is what you click to login to the arena.  (the OPEN and CLOSED)

Allow the players to change countries right at the login screen.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 03:41:54 AM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2009, 03:30:46 AM »
I would not like the idea, reason being I only like to fly when my squadmates are online. and I would not want to fly without them, while they are on the over team
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2009, 03:35:38 AM »
Yes, you would still be outnumbered but fighting against LA7s and Spit 16s.

Fun, yes?

:huh

As near as I can tell, all the "ENY whine" threads are based on "I can't fly my UB3R pL4|\|3".
My question to the OP and others of the type:  Ever been on the side with the low numbers?  100/65/92?

How do you feel about ENY then?

wrongway

Sorry for bringing it back to ENY, Lute, but I wanted to address this:

I understand I am clearly in the minority, but I spent a decent amount of time on the side with the lowest numbers before the arena split and ENY restrictions were put into place.  Further, back in the other game, I remember there being a time where my country was down to three bases for several weeks.

I liked it.  I didn't mind flying against Lalas, because 60+ perk point sorties weren't out of the question, and those kind of perks bought many cheap tempests and 262s.  I would have much rather had new late war monsters like the P-47M and company than to have my opponent's ride choice restricted by anything but massive perk costs.

I also enjoyed the chaos (especially in that other game) of trying to up from a field unnoticed, grab alt, and then come back against the horde.  For me, it was fun.  I'd read JG26 by day, and play it by night.  Good times.

But since I realize I am in the minority, I would like to add that I don't see why being forced to turn by a P-51B so that a gaggle of Spit V's can chew me up is really that much better than being forced to turn by a P-51D so a gaggle of Spit XVI's can chew me up.  I think an ENY system based solely on speed makes more sense (balance wise, if not perk-earning wise) than the "well, this is a pretty good plane" system that we have today.  I would suggest having "perk" and "balance" systems be independent.

---------

As for Lute's idea...  To be honest, I'm not sure how much fun perpetually balanced arenas would be, no matter how they are achieved.  You have to have a bit of everything to keep the game fresh, IMO.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2009, 03:45:59 AM »
I would not like the idea, reason being I only like to fly when my squadmates are online. and I would not want to fly without them, while they are on the over team

How is it diff. from now when they are in an arean that is capped?

With my idea it would be easier to fly with them as it takes far less players to adjust ENY than it does to move a cap.

Vudak, the arenas wouldn't be perfectly balanced.  There is quite a large # swing to get 15 ENY.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2009, 03:49:34 AM »
How is it diff. from now when they are in an arean that is capped?

With my idea it would be easier to fly with them as it takes far less players to adjust ENY than it does to move a cap.

Vudak, the arenas wouldn't be perfectly balanced.  There is quite a large # swing to get 15 ENY.

Sorry Lute, missed that.

<-- I'm still the crazy one who wants to be outnumbered by Lalas ;)
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2009, 05:36:51 AM »
OK given that -

a) The majority of players want to fly with their squaddies.
b) The majority of players are loyal to a country.

Then

c) Any way to populate the arenas where players have a choice where to go is doomed to failure.

The ONLY way would be as players login they are assigned to an arena / country, and hopefully this will never happen.
It would probably be the proverbial straw that breaks the camels back as it is 180 degrees against both a) and b).

So is there any other solution? I don't think so.
Any other 'fix' is skirting around the actual 'fix', and is likely to create as many problems as it 'fixes'.

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2009, 09:32:57 AM »
I think if the cap system (dynamic cap system) stayed the same, but added Lute's "openings" it would help to balance the numbers in the individual arena.

With the dynamic cap using the numbers of the higher numbered team as the balancing numbers instead of the over all arena numbers between LW arenas. If the bish had the numbers in orange, the cap would only open spaces in knits and rooks, or until blues population of bish increased to open more room in orange. This way the rooks and knits could join to even sides, but not everyone will be in one arena. The only issue I see would be people login in on the low number side, and switching to the high number side. To stop that, they could make "switching sides" only available in the lobby with Lutes "open", "close" buttons are.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2009, 10:00:31 AM »
I think if the cap system (dynamic cap system) stayed the same, but added Lute's "openings" it would help to balance the numbers in the individual arena.

With the dynamic cap using the numbers of the higher numbered team as the balancing numbers instead of the over all arena numbers between LW arenas. If the bish had the numbers in orange, the cap would only open spaces in knits and rooks, or until blues population of bish increased to open more room in orange. This way the rooks and knits could join to even sides, but not everyone will be in one arena. The only issue I see would be people login in on the low number side, and switching to the high number side. To stop that, they could make "switching sides" only available in the lobby with Lutes "open", "close" buttons are.

Similar to something proposed many moons ago.

Wouldn't work in conjuction with caps.
If players logged into the arena with the most numbers and joined the lowest teams you then effectively get to point where the overall numbers in that arena are so much higher than the other that you lock totally it for a long time.

If you remove caps and people join in the right sequence you could end up with one massive arena and a sparsely populated arena.

If one arena gets locked totally from people joining because its numbers are so much higher than the other, then players logging into the lower number arena are basically given the choice of only two countries.
Result - a lot of unhappy campers.

You may also get the situation where squads are chasing members around different arenas and countrys to try and meet up.
Can be frustrating at the moment, would imagine could be extremely irritating under something like that.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2009, 11:14:19 AM »
Similar to something proposed many moons ago.

Wouldn't work in conjuction with caps.
If players logged into the arena with the most numbers and joined the lowest teams you then effectively get to point where the overall numbers in that arena are so much higher than the other that you lock totally it for a long time.

If you remove caps and people join in the right sequence you could end up with one massive arena and a sparsely populated arena.

If one arena gets locked totally from people joining because its numbers are so much higher than the other, then players logging into the lower number arena are basically given the choice of only two countries.
Result - a lot of unhappy campers.

You may also get the situation where squads are chasing members around different arenas and countrys to try and meet up.
Can be frustrating at the moment, would imagine could be extremely irritating under something like that.

Not if the arena cap work with the country numbers across both arenas, not over all numbers. Say Bish has the big numbers in orange. Rooks and Knits are the only one to increase, but set a percentage, say Rooks close to with in 5% of Bish total in numbers, Rooks now get locked out, same with knits. Sure total cap went up , but its still locked to the other arena due to the numbers not climbing there. Now Orange is locked out completely until the cap in Blue comes up again. What the numbers or percentages are, well thats for the big brains to figure out   :D

I think giving the population a chance to enter a loop sided arena, but with restrictions is a good thing. Keeping the percentages tight would insure no run away numbers with one arena be heavily populated compared to the other.

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2009, 11:22:13 AM »
Who hacked into Fugitive's computer and posted this stuff?   ;)

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2009, 08:15:38 PM »
I even have a login screen for my idea.

The buttons under the country name is what you click to login to the arena.  (the OPEN and CLOSED)

And in this situation, 3 out of 4 "knight loyal" players would simply not join either arena, and come here and whine about it.  They can't get into the arena in which they dominate, and don't want to go to an arena where they know up front they are going to be horded for the next hour.

A noble thought, but I just don't think it will have the desired effect.  In fact, it may actually cause the imbalances as those coming on will start to gravitate to whichever arena their side already has the most (but not yet ENY-restricted) numbers.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2009, 10:30:33 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
And in this situation, 3 out of 4 "knight loyal" players would simply not join either arena, and come here and whine about it.  They can't get into the arena in which they dominate, and don't want to go to an arena where they know up front they are going to be horded for the next hour.

:uhoh The OP said that we have a choice of being the horde or get horded.  In his example he clearly stated, "Both arena choices were unacceptable if I want to fly as a Knight."

I think balancing it out is the objective of the post.  Not whine.  :rolleyes:

(Image removed from quote.)A noble thought, but I just don't think it will have the desired effect.  In fact, it may actually cause the imbalances as those coming on will start to gravitate to whichever arena their side already has the most (but not yet ENY-restricted) numbers.

Again, the point is to stop those that "gravitate" :aok

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2009, 01:32:32 PM »
This should be your first hint.

(edit:  one thing to consider is Titanic Tuesday.  On TT most all three sides are relatively "balanced". 

This should be your second hint.

are getting stronger and stronger country loyalty

Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------