Author Topic: SoftTH Triplehead setup + SpitSim Controls  (Read 20156 times)

Offline MickDono

• Gold Member
Re: SoftTH Triplehead setup + SpitSim Controls
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 05:38:35 AM »
 :rofl :rofl

Offline Jenks

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 05:28:42 PM »
In my best Steve Martin imitation.... Wow!  Just........Wow!

Thanks for posting Conan.  Unfortunetly, the link to SpitSim only takes you to a url parking site or such. I tried a google search but no luck.

Cheers!
MA  The Flying Circus
     Clown in training

FSO  JG11

Offline Conan

• Zinc Member
      • "SWIFT" 72 Squadron
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 07:53:53 PM »
Unfortunetly, the link to SpitSim only takes you to a url parking site or such. I tried a google search but no luck.

Yes I know, it was valid when I posted it, but I can't edit it now.

I first heard of the SpitSim in Dec 2007, the brain child of Jon Fellows. Jon is a retired engineer and Spitfire lover. At the time he was still working part time for a friend of his, Bill Trezise. Bill had a small company called "Simcontrol".

Basically a two man outfit as far as I could see when I visited at the beginning of 2008. The SpitSim was Jon's own project though, built in his spare time, but using the workshops and website at Simcontrol for the project.

Unfortunately Bill Trezise passed away last year and with him Simcontrol.  :salute

I think Jon Fellows continues to build the SpitSim under his own company now, "Real Feel Controls", but I don't have a web link, sorry.

You could try emailing him at spitsim@yahoo.co.uk for details.

There's some more pics on our squad website: SpitSim007

I know of one other SpitSim owner - John Nation - his review of his SpitSim can be read HERE
(Retired) Now flying Rise of Flight

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 08:58:12 AM »
Terrific setup Conan, great effort..... if I may dive in (not just tire kicking, I built a home cockpit back in the late 90's when everyone thought such antics were a sign of early dementia) I notice your speakers aren't exactly huge, and I wondered if you have got around to installing a sub-bass transducer under your seat? I remember how mine suddenly 'came to life' when I fitted one and couldn't walk past without saying something, in case you haven't tried it yet.
"We don't have a plan, so nothing can go wrong." (Spike Milligan)

Read my WW1 online novel 'Blood and Old Bones' at http://www.ww1sims.com/
A tribute to WW1 airmen and the squadron spirit, inspired by virtual air combat.

SCTusk    ++ SKELETON CREW ++  founde

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 10:38:01 AM »
It is a terrific set up
Might have to commission one if fortune smiles on me one day :)
<<S>> 72 Squadron from 71 Squadron
Pop on to knights ch 171 any time
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 10:50:59 AM »
<S> 71st and 72nd, pop into The Few's private vent server if you wish. I'll be happy to PM you guys the details.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 11:58:27 AM »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 12:03:43 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

:lol

I just love your hat and flying boots think i'll get me some for the winter  :aok
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Conan

• Zinc Member
      • "SWIFT" 72 Squadron
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 02:24:39 PM »
:lol

I just love your hat and flying boots think i'll get me some for the winter  :aok

I know, very sad, but it all adds the Immersion.   :bolt:

It is a terrific set up
Might have to commission one if fortune smiles on me one day :)
<<S>> 72 Squadron from 71 Squadron
Pop on to knights ch 171 any time

<S> 71st and 72nd, pop into The Few's private vent server if you wish. I'll be happy to PM you guys the details.

<S> Many thanks for that, we'll all have to hook one day.

I have to confess I don't often fly the Spitfire or even WWII much these days.

You'll tend to find me when I've got time to go online (not as much as I'd like) tootling around WWI in my Camel under my other Walter Mitty persona; Sid.

Offline Sid

• Copper Member
      • "SWIFT" 72 Squadron
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 02:26:37 PM »
Terrific setup Conan, great effort..... if I may dive in (not just tire kicking, I built a home cockpit back in the late 90's when everyone thought such antics were a sign of early dementia) I notice your speakers aren't exactly huge, and I wondered if you have got around to installing a sub-bass transducer under your seat? I remember how mine suddenly 'came to life' when I fitted one and couldn't walk past without saying something, in case you haven't tried it yet.

Hi SCTusk, You have shot me down many a time in my Camel <S> and I've felt every shot through my sound system.

Current setup is a 7.1 Surround Sound GigaWorks S750

Left, Centre, & Right speakers mounted behind the screen.

Left & Right Side speakers just in front and to the side of the screens.

Rear Speakers about the some distance behind me.

210 Watts subwoofer mounted under the seat.

Is this what you mean by a "sub-bass transducer", or have you something else in mind?

As has been pointed out, I usually wear a headset as well which fit in with the TrackIR.

Here modelled by George the mannequin is my flying hat complete with a Sennheiser Headset & TrackClip PRO incorporated into it.

The new Miles sound system works a treat with all the external sounds played through the Surround Sound, and the Internal/Vox thru the headset.

I built a home cockpit back in the late 90's when everyone thought such antics were a sign of early dementia

Funnily enough my wife keeps saying something similar. :D
Oculus Rift user.

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 09:06:01 PM »
lol ok, you seem to have that one covered  :salute Next time we merge, if I'm fortunate enough to get a shot off I'll send some quiet bullets so I don't damage your eardrums.

A trandsducer converts the lower bass into movement, kind of a large mass thumping about instead of a speaker cone; attached to your seat it gives a genuine sensation of motion, or 'connectedness' when guns fire, engines rumble, and so on. I dare say your subwoofer does a fair job of this already but if you wanted the whole biscuit you might be able to lay hands on a used Aura Interactor (I've seen them come up on Ebay) which had a transducer in a backpack driven by a purpose built amp working through a special filter. I stripped the transducer out and attached it direct to my sim seat.... the doctor said the bleeding would stop eventually but I'd probably always have a slight limp.

"We don't have a plan, so nothing can go wrong." (Spike Milligan)

Read my WW1 online novel 'Blood and Old Bones' at http://www.ww1sims.com/
A tribute to WW1 airmen and the squadron spirit, inspired by virtual air combat.

SCTusk    ++ SKELETON CREW ++  founde

Offline Conan

• Zinc Member
      • "SWIFT" 72 Squadron
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 01:41:24 AM »
Thanks, I'll need to look out for one of those.  :aok

The biggest thing I miss with my setup is no force feed back, but you can't have everything.

Offline Jenks

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2010, 12:05:15 PM »
Thanks for the links Conan. I enjoyed looking thru the pics and the article.
MA  The Flying Circus
     Clown in training

FSO  JG11

Offline Sid

• Copper Member
      • "SWIFT" 72 Squadron
Re: NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround Setup + SpitSim Controls
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 07:31:22 PM »
Tusk, Thanks for the tip about the "sub-bass transducers" and "the Aura InterActor’s" they are great.  :aok

I did a bit more research and found this web site on how to build your own sub-bass transducers and amps.

Adding Tactile Transducers

But given the price you can pick up Aura InterActor’s for, it didn't seem worth it.

I managed to get two new Aura InterActors from Amazon for £10 and an Aura InterActor Cushion from eBay for £6.

Having stripped the seat down, the "Cushion" replaced the original foam padding perfectly,

and I've mounted the two standard "Transducers" under the seat in some old electrical boxes just to give them some protection.

The Aura Amps; I've hidden round the back of the monitors,

and with the seats cover replaced,

the only clue to the "Transducers" is a few cables around the back of the seat.

My original plan here was to hook one of the standard "Transducers" to the external sounds coming from the Surround Sound system, but that didn't work so well. So they are all connected via some splitters to the "Internal" sounds (engine, guns, stress, stall buffet, etc.) coming from the front panel audio (headset) but with slightly different "Filter" settings.

As you say this really brings the whole setup to life. I really enjoyed that Dog Fight we had yesterday,  I could feel every: overspeed, stress creak,  stall buffet, bullet hit.

Just fantastic. <Salute>  :salute

Sid (aka Conan).
Oculus Rift user.

Offline Tinribs

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2010, 09:14:43 AM »
Hi SCTusk, You have shot me down many a time in my Camel <S> and I've felt every shot through my sound system.

Current setup is a 7.1 Surround Sound GigaWorks S750

Left, Centre, & Right speakers mounted behind the screen.

Left & Right Side speakers just in front and to the side of the screens.

Rear Speakers about the some distance behind me.

210 Watts subwoofer mounted under the seat.

Is this what you mean by a "sub-bass transducer", or have you something else in mind?

As has been pointed out, I usually wear a headset as well which fit in with the TrackIR.

Here modelled by George the mannequin is my flying hat complete with a Sennheiser Headset & TrackClip PRO incorporated into it.

The new Miles sound system works a treat with all the external sounds played through the Surround Sound, and the Internal/Vox thru the headset.

Funnily enough my wife keeps saying something similar. :D
Sid now that I know youre hammering of me in ww1 arena a few weeks ago was entirely due to 3 screens, spitfire controls a massaging seat and nothing whatsoever to do with piloting skills I feel a lot better.Awesome stuff M8  :cheers:
Tinribs aka shotdown.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 09:18:34 AM by Tinribs »
I carnt relax cos I havent done a thing and I carnt do a thing cos I carnt relax.