Author Topic: "Are you sure?"  (Read 907 times)

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
"Are you sure?"
« on: August 27, 2009, 12:06:27 PM »
Would be a nice little pop-up to get in a couple of places. An option to turn it on or off would be nice, but I believe it would get rid of some of those, "oops, misclicked" moments.

Forums
-------
Before sending a message.
Before posting.

In Game
--------
Before exiting an arena (especially one that's reached its max number of players).
Before quitting the game.
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline Skulls22

• Nickel Member
Re: "Are you sure?"
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 12:20:07 PM »
+1  :aok
(In game Sparty)
R.I.P. SASFRAS, may you return some day soon
<S>

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 12:22:51 PM »
^ pet hate in bad interface design, so NO!

plenty of reasons, but mainly because theres nothing ingame or the boards which is grossly destructive. if the game had a del C:\*.* command then fair enough. otherwise its useless, and irritating.

"Are you sure?"
"Yup. Thats why I pressed the frikin button"

Its like a disease and MS are the carrier. theres more and more of these dumb dialog boxes appearing in Windows, every time I want to copy a file or run an installer. I understand Vista and Win 7 are even worse.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 12:27:09 PM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Twizzty

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 12:51:24 PM »
Are you sure you want this?!?  :D

Meteor Interception of Luftwannabe Forces.
Current status of M.I.L.F: On standby - awaiting aircraft.
The Few

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 12:52:22 PM »
Holmes, for people like you, that's why I put in the option to have it turned on or off.  :rolleyes:
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 01:04:06 PM »
I did notice that :) 

problem is it really doesnt help anyone, mainly because of what I'll call "dialog fatigue", film recording in AH is a good example. I keep forgetting to film sorties then want to have the odd film. so I enable the autorecording. turns out that I only really want to save a small % of films, so I get very used to hitting the cancel button. I do it so often that when I really do want to save a film, its too late. Ive already hit the cancel button without thinking about it.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 01:16:39 PM »
 :aok

Are you sure you want to take off in the attack mode, not switch back to fighter?
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 01:23:14 PM »
:aok

Are you sure you want to take off in the attack mode, not switch back to fighter?

I'd rather see which mode you're in automatically change if you add or remove ordnance.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 05:53:01 PM »
^ pet hate in bad interface design, so NO!

plenty of reasons, but mainly because theres nothing ingame or the boards which is grossly destructive. if the game had a del C:\*.* command then fair enough. otherwise its useless, and irritating.

"Are you sure?"
"Yup. Thats why I pressed the frikin button"

Its like a disease and MS are the carrier. theres more and more of these dumb dialog boxes appearing in Windows, every time I want to copy a file or run an installer. I understand Vista and Win 7 are even worse.

Woa, so much hostility, and all toward a dialog box. So you are telling us that you have NEVER exited a full arena and been pissed that you lost you spot? I know it has happend to me before.

As for your complaint against windows, why not design your own OS, with NO "are you sure screens" or anything similar or related to "do you want to continue?". NO questions.  Then see how long it takes before people start complaining that the OS froze their machines from too many windows open, and they got a virus because they accidently brushed the mouse over the virus protection software icon.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 06:29:04 PM »
I'd vote "NO" also. I've never clicked out of an arena unless I wanted to. Part of playing the game is paying attention to whats going on around you, in the game, with the controls, heck even how close you drink is to falling over and landing on your keyboard.

Next thing you know people will be asking for a "do over" button so when their SA is weak and they get shot down by someone they never saw, they can do the fight over  :rolleyes:

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »
Are you Sure Trigger?  :lol Sorry, no.  I agree with Fugitive's assessment.  This game has a lot to do with your awareness of controls, interfaces, etc.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 06:45:28 PM »
Woa, so much hostility, and all toward a dialog box. So you are telling us that you have NEVER exited a full arena and been pissed that you lost you spot? I know it has happend to me before.

As for your complaint against windows, why not design your own OS, with NO "are you sure screens" or anything similar or related to "do you want to continue?". NO questions.  Then see how long it takes before people start complaining that the OS froze their machines from too many windows open, and they got a virus because they accidently brushed the mouse over the virus protection software icon.

lol yeah im passionate about software design, just because so much of my life has been wasted by bad software. so much so ive donated some of my time to contribute coad to an os which doesnt nag you everytime you want to do something safe, doesnt crash or get infested with virii all the time and doesnt even cost anything!
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 07:30:58 PM »
You know, it's a wonder these days they don't have a computer monitor on your toilet with a "flush" button. You push it, and it ever-so-correctly asks "Are you sure? Yes/No." Nawww, I want to admire my deposit to the IRS before I flush it first. :rolleyes:
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 07:49:13 PM »
You know, it's a wonder these days they don't have a computer monitor on your toilet with a "flush" button. You push it, and it ever-so-correctly asks "Are you sure? Yes/No." Nawww, I want to admire my deposit to the IRS before I flush it first. :rolleyes:

I don't think it is all that big of a deal to add an "are you sure" pop up when you click on the exit arena. IDK about you but it is kinda hard to always hit the right button while flying and doing a million other things. And to be fair, real pilots don't have to use a mouse, and select things by clicking on them. Nor do they have to hit "hift" or "Ctrl" to change the function of a button on their control panel.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
I'd rather see which mode you're in automatically change if you add or remove ordnance.

true but what if your taking off on an Il-2 for GV hunting on a base which does not have ord
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s