Author Topic: WGr21 gunsights  (Read 2516 times)

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
Re: WGr21 gunsights
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2010, 09:06:13 PM »
Oh geeze wow yes. The TA needs a visit for more than just that. I've downloaded both sights; I think I like the bar one.

Those Spitfire and P-51 kills with the rockets was amazing though...  :eek:
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2010, 05:43:09 AM »
The rest of the rockets in AH like the 5" Hvar's are not time fuzed, so they won't explode downrange unless they hit something. The WGr21 rockets were time fuzed so you can aim it, have it explode at a given range, sending shrapnel all over, doing lots of damage.

So no, not exactly.

Although there are a few (very few actually) reports of people hitting planes with rockets.
I did it once years back in a TBM, hit a p47 in a HO attack, popped him right on the spinner, blew the engine right back through the cockpit. Hugely satisfying, but incredibly difficult.

Wow that was amazing. I suppose I can't do the same with the 5" HVARs though, huh? :(

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2010, 04:23:04 PM »
I managed to do it once as well. I was in a P-38J, turn fighting with a 190D. Was RTB'ing for ammo(30 .50 rounds, and no 20mm's). Turned inside him, and got to D100, and cut loose with the rockets (had them for the town, which was down, and everything I could kill on base was already down). Just barely hit the tail, but blew it right off.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Boxman

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 08:42:49 PM »
Oh geeze wow yes. The TA needs a visit for more than just that. I've downloaded both sights; I think I like the bar one.

Those Spitfire and P-51 kills with the rockets was amazing though...  :eek:

Thanks, it's about all I do though haha.