Author Topic: Veterans  (Read 1853 times)

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
Re: Veterans
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2009, 01:07:39 PM »
I'm not saying that military personnel are pursuing medals for the sake of glory, I'm saying that medals glorify ordinary people doing extraordinary things... that are sometimes ordinary in war. Does the man honor the medal or is it the medal that honor the man? There's a culture of military romanticism flourishing especially in the young who have never seen war and what it does to people. There are many vets who would gladly trade their medals and decorations, even if rightly earned - it does not matter, for lost friends.

What you are speaking of is exactly what drive men in war, the comraderie and ties to one another. The respect and friendship only a life threatening situation can create. I belive that in what I write, you see what you want to see and not what I'm actually saying. Medals aren't worth a damn when it comes at a cost of the lives of friends.

In a conflict, there are sacrifices made on a daily basis by every man in the field which are seldom mentioned nor understood. Some of these men have the unfortune to die, some might make a fortune of surviving just out of blind luck. It's the essence of life, in a way. I guess what I'm really trying to get at is that it's those who don't come home who are the real heros. A medal is worth nothing in that perspective.

The modern day conflicts we see now have very little similar to WW2. Today we kill at a distance, preferrably watching through a 46x magnifying lens using 30 mm cannon rounds and hellfires on human flesh and soft vehicles. I don't view that as going to war. Some men go to war never realizing what they've done.

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Veterans
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2009, 01:43:04 PM »
I have met a number of WWII vets out in the general public.Just look for the hats.The Navy guys tend to be the easiest to spot,they usualy have a baseball cap with theyre ships name and what have ya on there.I noticed guys from other services wearing similiar hats.I met one Vet at my local supermarket who was on board a cruiser at one of the naval battles at Guadalcanal.Another gentleman I met at the same supermarket told me about the landings on different islands in the pacific.I felt bad because he got all choked up at one point.He told me he goes around to local schools and gives short lectures on his experiances.Another guy I met a Mcdonalds was on the USS Iowa at the very end of the war.The first Vet I mentioned I havnt seen in awhile and I am afraid he may have passed.So get out there and have a look.Its not too late but its probably getting close.

Pipz

Yep, this Spring I was up north in West Branch, MI and I said to my buddy: "Hang on Kirk, grab us a table, I just have to thank this man."   He served in the Navy and was in Taffy 3.   He stood there, shocked, but smiling and said "You have no idea what it means to me."   

Another time, Ian wanted some pizza.   So the three of us go to a Little Caesars, inside was a Pearl Harbor Survivor with his hat on.   I shook his hand and bid him thanks and he stood there damn near in tears.   Then he smiled and said "you're welcome".   Then it was turn to nearly be reduced to tears. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC