Author Topic: 2011 Jeep Grande Cherokee  (Read 1787 times)

Offline rstel01

• Copper Member
Re: 2011 Jeep Grande Cherokee
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2009, 07:00:49 PM »
To be honest, that photo is one of the first times I have seen a JK covered in mud.  Around here, for the most part, they all have nice shiny wheels and no "custom pinstriping"  It looks a lot less like a soccer mom's grocery getter  :D

My wife's boss just traded in his TJ for a JK and keeps talking about lifting it, going wheeling with me, etc.  I have yet to see him in with it in anything but a spotless, pristine state.

EDIT:  I don't know where you live, but we are making a run in the New Jersey Pine Barrens next Saturday   :D

Thanks, I am in PA and we wheel year round here and in VA

These two friends of mine are massivley built "School Buses (Unlimiteds)" One has already goten the 6.1 Hemi Conversion and Dana 60's Front and Rear

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2009, 10:56:09 PM »
"Climbin the curb at the local Walmart?" Thats funny, LOL!!! That must be where ya found those tinkertoys...
If those weenie rigs are your speed, then you should stay in PA.... They'd be found wanting around here!!!
Local 4x4 guys are always dragging those late model rigs out of the woods with major pieces missing, lol!!!
A couple of those "clubbers" upside down at the bottom of a hill, or 50ft down a ravine, is always good for a laugh... Especially when their buddies have to come into town, looking for help to drag them out...

RC

"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline rstel01

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2009, 01:37:11 PM »
Just by your writing and distain for new model equipment, I can tell in second you are not the real deal. 

It don't matter out here whether you run an old Flattie, CJ, TJ, JK, M or whatever. We all wheel togther and work on each others rigs just the same.

Tell you what myself and a bunch of my other friends with these wennie rigs are coming out west for EJS in Moab in April. More than happy to have you join us, so you can show us all up.     

Offline dev1ant

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2009, 02:26:49 PM »
Nice pics rstel, that black Rubicon is sweet  :aok
Deviant

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2009, 03:57:26 PM »
My 95 Jeep Cherokee may not have been a complete off roading vehicle, but it sure has gotten me out of some sticky situations. Coming from the mountains of NC, I was always one of the few vehicles driving all the way home and not parking at the bottom of the hill because of ice.

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2009, 05:26:57 PM »
Tell you what myself and a bunch of my other friends with these wennie rigs are coming out west for EJS in Moab in April. More than happy to have you join us, so you can show us all up. 

I will never go to EJS, here's why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkKuf43Ehao

Bunch of drunk, crude a--holes.  Now I know that not everyone at EJS acts this way, in fact I would bet they are in the minority, but they are the ones that ruin it for people like me.  I much prefer to go wheeling in small groups or alone, I want to enjoy solitude in nature, not get yelled at by a bunch of drunkards.

As for late model Jeeps, they have become very trendy, and I despise trendiness. :cool:

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2009, 06:02:53 PM »
IMO, if you want off roading capabilities...only one way to go

You're kidding right? There are places I can take my JK Wrangler or my CJ-5 that a Range Rover Discovery couldn't get to without being airlifted. Brother, unless you're into off road adventures, the Discovery may seem capable. But, not without spending a great deal of money to upgrade just about everything.

My regards,

Widewing

My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2009, 06:41:26 PM »
anybody notice that the whole front bumber, grill, and side panels are all joined? thats going to suck when you get into a fender-bender and all you would have to replace is just the bumper...
Not exactly. Parts can be attached to one another with weak points. Such as the hood having a weak point by the middle. It can have other materials or paints over it to make it smooth and a higher MPG %.
Most skill based sport? -
The sport of understanding women.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
To be honest, that photo is one of the first times I have seen a JK covered in mud.  Around here, for the most part, they all have nice shiny wheels and no "custom pinstriping"  It looks a lot less like a soccer mom's grocery getter  :D

My wife's boss just traded in his TJ for a JK and keeps talking about lifting it, going wheeling with me, etc.  I have yet to see him in with it in anything but a spotless, pristine state.

EDIT:  I don't know where you live, but we are making a run in the New Jersey Pine Barrens next Saturday   :D

To see my JK today would be to assume it never sees mud or dirt. Of course, I spent four hours cleaning it this morning to remove the mud from yesterday's run through the Pine Barrens out in Calverton.

I even washed the underside (a brush on an extending handle). However, there's still some mud remaining. prior to washing it, I put an oscillating lawn sprinkler under it early this morning... The driveway was a river of mud.

The biggest pain in the neck is getting the mud stains off of the plastic flairs.. I found a plastic cleaner that works, albeit with some effort. After washing, I waxed it and shined up the tires. Looks like the perfect mall crawler now...    :o

It's getting new springs and gas shocks in the next week or two... Courtesy of Jeep, who screwed up on the original build. I should have the same suspension as a Rubicon, per my build sheet. However, they only installed the Rubicon springs in back, with standard duty suspension springs on front. It was supposed to have Rubicon's gas shocks... Yeah, they missed that too. The factory rep tried to downplay the screw-up. That only pissed me off more and I suggested that we resolve the issue in small claims court. Then they wanted to negotiate. I told them that there is nothing to negotiate, I have the build sheet stating what was supposed to be installed and what I paid for. End of discussion. So, now I'm demanding the correct suspension be installed and that some other means of compensation be agreed to. After all, had I not discovered the error, I'd have been screwed out of $400 in hardware, which I paid for.

So, how did I figure this out? The VIN number tells much about a Jeep. My VIN number should have had a G as the 4th digit. Instead, It has a F, indicating standard duty suspension. The dealer ran the spring and shock part numbers, which confirmed this. Thus, the heavy duty suspension option was not installed during the build.... My dealer is also unhappy.. A pissed off customer is not what they want, especially one that buys from them very 4 or 5 years since 1979 (we bought from them in 1979, 1982, 1986, 1991, 1994, 1999, 2003 and 2008).

Apparently, more than 300 Wranglers built in February and March of 2008 did not get the heavy duty suspension installed as they were supposed to. It seems that incorrect VIN and option codes were entered into the production system, and the factory builds by scanning the bar code on the build sheet. That, at least, was the rep's explanation.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2009, 07:52:35 PM »
"Climbin the curb at the local Walmart?" Thats funny, LOL!!! That must be where ya found those tinkertoys...
If those weenie rigs are your speed, then you should stay in PA.... They'd be found wanting around here!!!
Local 4x4 guys are always dragging those late model rigs out of the woods with major pieces missing, lol!!!
A couple of those "clubbers" upside down at the bottom of a hill, or 50ft down a ravine, is always good for a laugh... Especially when their buddies have to come into town, looking for help to drag them out...

RC

And your off road rig is......?

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2009, 08:02:04 PM »
1970-1990s - SUV = Super Uber Vehicle
-- to 2009 - SUV = Suddenly Useless Vehicle

:rofl, you nail it on the spot.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2009, 10:28:48 PM »
And your off road rig is......?

My regards,

Widewing

Which one??  I have many offroad vehicles, LOL!!!  If ya mean my Jeep, Check the top of the second page in this thread, there ya go.... :D   

Hey widewing, ya see your sig, thats no joke... With my Jeep, I can do that to ppl for REAL!!! When I tell someone to hang on, they better DO IT, or they go flyin, LOL!!!

rstel, why would I wanna go to a dry, nasty, crusty place, like Moab Utah, UGH?   Especially when I live sandwiched between the Pacific Ocean and Oly National Park, surrounded by a thousand square miles of virgin wilderness.. For 99.9% of clubbers, 4x4'in is a weekend ditty that they do.. But, I LIVE IT, Every day!!
I don't have a Jeep, because its "cool"... I have it, because I NEED it!!!  Thats as "Real", as it gets..!
And one of those late model "FeyJays", (as my wife calls them), just won't cut the mustard!!

Man, even in this day and age, ppl head up into the woods around here, and just disappear.. Till some local guy like me, years later, finds their rig at the bottom of a cliff, or their frozen bodies stuck in the boughs of a giant fir tree.. I did the "explorer search and rescue thing" for many years.. Seen it all!!  But, I'm gettin a little too old to be searchin for lost dingleberrys in the woods anymore... So, now its, "No skin off my nose, they went too high, and got what they asked for!!"   Life goes on, and they should'a stayed on the flatland!!!   

Besides, I'm not the yuppy clone type of Jeep owner, so I doubt if I'd fit in with the rest of those "Real Jeepers" in Moab, LOL!!!

LOL, I'm not real? Holy smokes, LOL!!!  I'm very "real", just not a dilettante!!!

RC 

"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2009, 10:34:53 PM »
This smiley is so handy...ahh.

A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2009, 10:45:13 PM »
Which one??  I have many offroad vehicles, LOL!!!  If ya mean my Jeep, Check the top of the second page in this thread, there ya go.... :D    

Hey widewing, ya see your sig, thats no joke... With my Jeep, I can do that to ppl for REAL!!! When I tell someone to hang on, they better DO IT, or they go flyin, LOL!!!

rstel, why would I wanna go to a dry, nasty, crusty place, like Moab Utah, UGH?   Especially when I live sandwiched between the Pacific Ocean and Oly National Park, surrounded by a thousand square miles of virgin wilderness.. For 99.9% of clubbers, 4x4'in is a weekend ditty that they do.. But, I LIVE IT, Every day!!
I don't have a Jeep, because its "cool"... I have it, because I NEED it!!!  Thats as "Real", as it gets..!
And one of those late model "FeyJays", (as my wife calls them), just won't cut the mustard!!

Man, even in this day and age, ppl head up into the woods around here, and just disappear.. Till some local guy like me, years later, finds their rig at the bottom of a cliff, or their frozen bodies stuck in the boughs of a giant fir tree.. I did the "explorer search and rescue thing" for many years.. Seen it all!!  But, I'm gettin a little too old to be searchin for lost dingleberrys in the woods anymore... So, now its, "No skin off my nose, they went too high, and got what they asked for!!"   Life goes on, and they should'a stayed on the flatland!!!    

Besides, I'm not the yuppy clone type of Jeep owner, so I doubt if I'd fit in with the rest of those "Real Jeepers" in Moab, LOL!!!

LOL, I'm not real? Holy smokes, LOL!!!  I'm very "real", just not a dilettante!!!

RC  

LOLOL Ya gotta love a guy with a CJ-5.... My '63 had a hood though... ;) Buick 231ci Turbo, welded roll cage, suspension lift, 2" body lift, 36" Cepeks. Rancho shocks and damper. Only rolled it once in the dunes. No real harm other than dumping my cooler. I was finding sand in it 6 months later. LOLOL It was about as stable as Charlie Manson....

Getting lost, breaking down or simply screwing up in the woods is common.. Which is why we never venture into the forest alone. Usually a sizable group. One friend has a VHF radio.
My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 10:59:12 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2009, 12:06:03 AM »

You're kidding right? There are places I can take my JK Wrangler or my CJ-5 that a Range Rover Discovery couldn't get to without being airlifted. Brother, unless you're into off road adventures, the Discovery may seem capable. But, not without spending a great deal of money to upgrade just about everything.

Haven't spent nearly as much as some of the Jeepies...good set of tires, different springs, rear diff has an ARB...no airlift required for this Jeep Recovery Vehicle. Maybe there's 4500 in the whole truck. But like most of the Jeep guys I know, they are only open to their rides, too bad their egos are as big as some of their tires. 

« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 12:12:42 AM by 5PointOh »
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver