Author Topic: 2011 Jeep Grande Cherokee  (Read 1788 times)

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
Re: 2011 Jeep Grande Cherokee
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2009, 12:38:50 AM »
Yeah, goin out into territory that is completely foreign can be dangerous, especially around here.. A radio is a good idea, but there aren't many that monitor anymore.. Just make sure its a stout unit, 100watts min, or you'll be pissin in the wind, tryin to get a signal out of the canyons hereabouts...

That jeep is a blast, the genuine glow green paint, turns you green if you stand near it, LOL!! My wife and girlfriend like to cruz around town shopping, doin the Daisy Duke thing, (Short short cutoffs, and Halter tops) I get a kick out of watchin the guys drool... Jeep guys in particular, when these two hot chicks come blazin up in a gnarly CJ5, and all they have is their little weenie ?J's.. Their ego's get shriveled up pretty quick, LOL!! Last June, on my birthday, I was down at the bar, having a beer lunch.. It was a saturday, so the Tav was packed with tourists and bikers cruzin the Olympic Hwy 101 Loop.. My honeys come roarin up to the beergarten in the GreenieMeenie, with flowers and balloons, jump down, knockers bouncin, run up and lay some big lipstick kisses on me, sit on my lap while I finish my "lunch"... There were lots of green faces, green with envy!!! Cat calls, and bikers tryin to buy the girls drinks, LOL!!! Gettin turned down!!! LOL!!! The bar owner is an friend, so I stowed my streetbike in his garage, and I finally let them drag me back home (before any fights started) so they could give me my "Birthday Present" :D :devil

If I said, "Life is good", it would be a MASSIVE understatement, LOL!!!

:salute all

RC
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2009, 06:49:42 AM »
To see my JK today would be to assume it never sees mud or dirt. Of course, I spent four hours cleaning it this morning to remove the mud from yesterday's run through the Pine Barrens out in Calverton.

I even washed the underside (a brush on an extending handle). However, there's still some mud remaining. prior to washing it, I put an oscillating lawn sprinkler under it early this morning... The driveway was a river of mud.

The biggest pain in the neck is getting the mud stains off of the plastic flairs.. I found a plastic cleaner that works, albeit with some effort. After washing, I waxed it and shined up the tires. Looks like the perfect mall crawler now...    :o

It's getting new springs and gas shocks in the next week or two... Courtesy of Jeep, who screwed up on the original build. I should have the same suspension as a Rubicon, per my build sheet. However, they only installed the Rubicon springs in back, with standard duty suspension springs on front. It was supposed to have Rubicon's gas shocks... Yeah, they missed that too. The factory rep tried to downplay the screw-up. That only pissed me off more and I suggested that we resolve the issue in small claims court. Then they wanted to negotiate. I told them that there is nothing to negotiate, I have the build sheet stating what was supposed to be installed and what I paid for. End of discussion. So, now I'm demanding the correct suspension be installed and that some other means of compensation be agreed to. After all, had I not discovered the error, I'd have been screwed out of $400 in hardware, which I paid for.

So, how did I figure this out? The VIN number tells much about a Jeep. My VIN number should have had a G as the 4th digit. Instead, It has a F, indicating standard duty suspension. The dealer ran the spring and shock part numbers, which confirmed this. Thus, the heavy duty suspension option was not installed during the build.... My dealer is also unhappy.. A pissed off customer is not what they want, especially one that buys from them very 4 or 5 years since 1979 (we bought from them in 1979, 1982, 1986, 1991, 1994, 1999, 2003 and 2008).

Apparently, more than 300 Wranglers built in February and March of 2008 did not get the heavy duty suspension installed as they were supposed to. It seems that incorrect VIN and option codes were entered into the production system, and the factory builds by scanning the bar code on the build sheet. That, at least, was the rep's explanation.

My regards,

Widewing

Don't get me wrong Widewing, I know there are plenty of guys that don't keep them as garage queens, just not around here.  There aren't to many places near Philly where one really needs something as capable in bad conditions as a Jeep, until winter.  Even then, I wish most 4x4 owners around here would just buy something else and stay the hell off of the road when it snows.  Having a 4x4 and no bad weather diving experience just gives most people false confidence and enables them be able to get stuck worse than normal.

I also don't want to be offensive but, at first, (the JK's) seemed very strange looking, but I'm getting used to it  :)

I'm glad you got your dealer squared away   :aok
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2009, 11:37:28 PM »
Haven't spent nearly as much as some of the Jeepies...good set of tires, different springs, rear diff has an ARB...no airlift required for this Jeep Recovery Vehicle. Maybe there's 4500 in the whole truck. But like most of the Jeep guys I know, they are only open to their rides, too bad their egos are as big as some of their tires. 

That's a perfectly adequate 4x4 for not much expense. I'm sure you have a lot of fun with it. It isn't, however, really remarkable by any measure. I don't think it can compete with this, a rather typical JK set up for serious off road playing. However, to back up your argument, this rig probably carries a $45k investment, with a $32k vehicle price and the balance in upgrades. It had better be spectacular off road...

My CJ-5 was ridiculous in its ability to go virtually anywhere I dared to take it. That Jeep had less than $6,000 invested. My YJ Wrangler had a very mild lift, just to clear the bigger tires I wanted for beach use. My JK Wrangler, when fitted with the 33" M/Ts, has just shy of 11" of ground clearance. 10.3" with the 32" Goodyears.

That said, the latest Wranglers are the most capable ever. Even a well optioned base model has astounding capability. A few simple upgrades are all they need. Order the Trac-Lok LSD. Combining the Trac-Lok with the Brake Lock Differentials and several traction control algorithms, it is extremely capable right off the showroom floor.

I don't envision lifting my JK. It doesn't need it for what I use it for. The 33" tires I invested in for trail runs have just enough clearance at full articulation and steering angle (but they only get limited use). I've added what I consider adequate armor. Rock rails, front end/steering gear skid plate, evap canister skid plate and stronger differential covers for those hidden boulders. I bought a set of sway-bar quick disconnects, but haven't installed them yet. Other mods are driver's side mirror relocation (to keep a sideview mirror with the doors off), K&N high flow air filter, passenger grab handles, custom recovery kit, compressor, trauma kit, fire bottle and so on.

Here's my JK hasn't been upgraded for extreme wheeling. It never will be. My interest in that peaked 20 years ago with my CJ-5. Still, my JK is very capable... Especially in snow. My brother's heavily modded 2005 Rubicon TJ had trouble with some steep snow covered hills that my nearly stock JK went up with ease. The marvel of modern technology at work...

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2009, 11:47:59 PM »
Ummm? OK? Cherokee's have always been RWD and unibody what's the difference?  :huh

RWD is fine, It's the unibody construction that I've never liked in the Chrysler era Jeeps.  That and the less than stellar reliability of the Chrysler drivetrains, and the shoddy suspension and linkage components in the Wranglers (unless you spent and extra $7,000 for the Rubicon)

I'd love an old CJ5, or Willys, but I've never been impressed by the Chrysler Jeeps, speaking in terms of there off-road capabilities, and reliability.  Which I guess may not matter since many people just buy them for the looks.

What do you wheel?   Reliability?   WTF?   If you don't "wheel", what's the point of having 4WD?   When you "wheel" and buy "cheap chit", you "have a higher chance of breaking".   Buy Rubicon Express and you waste money.   Buy Clayton, BDS and Teraflex and you can rest easier. 

Cherokees most certainly were NOT always "unibody".   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2009, 11:59:02 PM »
Most people assume, when you say "Cherokee", that you are referring to the XJ platform. "Cherokee" has been associated with a few Jeep platforms now- some confusion is to be expected. Go into any parts store and refuse to answer the query "Grand or...?"

mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2009, 12:02:07 AM »
That's a perfectly adequate 4x4 for not much expense. I'm sure you have a lot of fun with it. It isn't, however, really remarkable by any measure. I don't think it can compete with this, a rather typical JK set up for serious off road playing. However, to back up your argument, this rig probably carries a $45k investment, with a $32k vehicle price and the balance in upgrades. It had better be spectacular off road...

My regards,

Widewing

Land Rover Discovery Series II's are very adequate.   If you're gonna go Land Rover though Copr.   The ONLY choice is quite possibly the greatest "off the shelf" 4WD vehicle ever made, next to the 66-77 Ford Bronco's........the Land Rover Defender 90 (2 door) or Defender 110 (rare 4 doors).   The Defenders are cherished for a happy medium of "wheelbase, excellent approach/departure angles and torque".    This is a vehicle that might return to the US and has ALWAYS sparked rumors of such, because of it's reputation.  

Copr, don't even bother with the Disco, be a step ahead with the D90.   I'd easily match a Stock D90 against a Stock Rubicon.   In most cases, I'd go with the D90.   The 3.5L V8 is a breeze to work on and there is ALWAYS plenty of torque on hand, for any possible scenario.  

As for the Camel Trophy.   In 1980 they used Jeep CJ-6's.   :D

I cannot criticize the Series II Disco's as they are not plagued with the Electrical issues of the Series I.   But either is a VERY capable vehicle off-road.   But, most buy them for "status symbol" instead of function.   Goto www.safarigard.com and have fun surfing Lifts.   Goto Atlantic British and peruse more, then hit "Bear Valley Land Rovers of Atlanta" and wet your whistle Copr.  
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2009, 12:04:55 AM »
Most people assume, when you say "Cherokee", that you are referring to the XJ platform. "Cherokee" has been associated with a few Jeep platforms now- some confusion is to be expected. Go into any parts store and refuse to answer the query "Grand or...?"

He didn't say "Grand" and the Cherokee (SJ) was a full-framed vehicle up from 1974-1983.  It refutes his statement, more than adequately.   My 1995 Grand Cherokee does excellent off road so far.   Open up front, with a LSD in the back.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2009, 12:12:32 AM »
I'm just saying that depending on when and where you were born, "Cherokee" means SJ, or XJ, or KJ- same name, distinctly different Jeep.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2009, 12:13:32 AM »
I'm just saying that depending on when and where you were born, "Cherokee" means SJ, or XJ, or KJ- same name, distinctly different Jeep.

Isn't the KJ the Liberty?
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2009, 12:18:01 AM »
Yep- but over there, they call it a Cherokee. Yes, blasphemous to be sure, but that's marketing for you.

To illustrate (and pic potato)
My Cherokee

Cherokee when I was a squeaker

Cherokee for Eurosqueakers

Cherokee for Europeans or Ozzies who have squeakers

Correction- 4 platforms. Can't remember what the newest platform is tagged- I hate it.

I hate sales people of all nationalities, vintages, and persuasions.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 12:30:34 AM by hubsonfire »
mook
++Blue Knights++

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2009, 12:23:23 AM »
Yep- but over there, they call it a Cherokee. Yes, blasphemous to be sure, but that's marketing for you.

:furious
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2009, 12:31:39 AM »
 :D
mook
++Blue Knights++

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2009, 01:37:20 AM »
Land Rover Discovery Series II's are very adequate.   If you're gonna go Land Rover though Copr.   The ONLY choice is quite possibly the greatest "off the shelf" 4WD vehicle ever made, next to the 66-77 Ford Bronco's........the Land Rover Defender 90 (2 door) or Defender 110 (rare 4 doors).   The Defenders are cherished for a happy medium of "wheelbase, excellent approach/departure angles and torque".    This is a vehicle that might return to the US and has ALWAYS sparked rumors of such, because of it's reputation.  

Copr, don't even bother with the Disco, be a step ahead with the D90.   I'd easily match a Stock D90 against a Stock Rubicon.   In most cases, I'd go with the D90.   The 3.5L V8 is a breeze to work on and there is ALWAYS plenty of torque on hand, for any possible scenario.  

As for the Camel Trophy.   In 1980 they used Jeep CJ-6's.   :D

I cannot criticize the Series II Disco's as they are not plagued with the Electrical issues of the Series I.   But either is a VERY capable vehicle off-road.   But, most buy them for "status symbol" instead of function.   Goto www.safarigard.com and have fun surfing Lifts.   Goto Atlantic British and peruse more, then hit "Bear Valley Land Rovers of Atlanta" and wet your whistle Copr.  

When we spend time on the beaches out in the Hamptons, you can usually find a few mid '90's vintage D-90 Defenders on the sand. You even see the occasional G-Wagon too. Nonetheless, my JK gives up nothing to the D-90 on the beach. Indeed, Jeep's electronics result in superior traction in sand... If I were to drag race one of those D-90s on the beach, my JK would kick its butt... Ditto in snow. Zero wheel spin, maximum traction. It's almost spooky. Drive-by-wire throttle. Floor the gas pedal in 10" of snow, the computer takes over power application. The LSD locks, BLD distributes torque with all four wheels getting no more power than traction will allow. Traction is adjusted 500 times a second. I'll reiterate... It is remarkable. In snow, from a standing start, my brother's 2005 TJ Rubicon can't keep up. I simply drive away, without so much as a wiggle. Meanwhile, the TJ is going sideways as much as forward, its open differentials contributing to its lack of bite (he would do better in 4-low with the diffs locked, but low range has speed limitations). The driver can't regulate power anywhere near as well as the computer can. It's like ABS in that regard, only more dramatic and vastly smarter. Like modern fighter aircraft, high tech electronics simply provide much more capability than previous generation hardware can ever manage.

As to the Discovery.. Capable, but not stellar. Needs major upgrading to get to that level. That is expensive, and repair costs for Land Rovers are very high. Better off with mid 90's YJ. Spend about $3k in suspension, wheel and tires and you have a very able rig. More importantly, you can find parts anywhere and they are far less expensive than for the Discovery. Likewise for a mid 80's CJ-7.

Some amusing D-90 videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWDv8ZQNeFk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JoTJBRIhdA&NR=1&feature=fvwp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMhOhT5nwZk&feature=related

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2009, 02:16:41 AM »

What do you wheel?  '99 Isuzu Rodeo with minor modifications.  When I was looking for a mid-size SUV I considered Rodeos, 4runners, and Cherokees.  I nixed the Cherokee because I don't think the Chrysler drivetrain would be as reliable or durable as Toyota/Isuzu.  And the resale prices of 4runners were to high for my budget.  So I got Rodeo and have no complaints.  Reliability? Not really a complete question there.  WTF? In the refrigerator. (If you mean where's the food?)    If you don't "wheel", what's the point of having 4WD?  I live and grew up on a farm, you need 4WD on the farm quite often.  I also "wheel" a couple times a month for fun, but I'm not that hard core.   When you "wheel" and buy "cheap chit", you "have a higher chance of breaking".    Buy Rubicon Express and you waste money.   Buy Clayton, BDS and Teraflex and you can rest easier. 

Cherokees most certainly were NOT always "unibody".  My mistake, I apologize if I misled anybody.   

It seems like a touched a nerve there, relax, just because I'm not a Jeep fan and you are doesn't mean we have to get all angry.  It IS just a matter of opinion after all.  And this world would be a boring place if everyone agreed all the time.

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2009, 07:24:38 AM »
Was just noticing the scenery behind all your Jeep pics... Ya gotta admit, terrain is everything when it comes to offroading, right? I mean, what kinda rig you have, depends on the terrain you operate it in, right?
This is why I don't even bother with any of the late model stuff, it always ends up brokedick!!!
I just don't think we have a common frame of reference here!!!

LOL, this is what it is like around here... It's like this everywhere, until you get above the treeline...
I've been breakin trail thru this stuff for most of my life... It'll break your heart in return!!! Or take your life!!!
My 5/8 mile long driveway! Only way in or out!!!  Turn left or right, and see how far you get!!! LOL!!!
A Tank wont make it far into this terrain... When I'm talkin woods, I mean WOODS!!!
And then, when the well known PNW rain starts, Hmmm well, you'd have to experience 4wheelin around here!

And wait till one of these things gets blown down by the wind, and blocks your way out!!!
This is a particularly large one near my north border.. But My property is covered with 10 and 15 footers, (thick)!! Essential eq around here is a CHAINSAW!!! A big one!!! LOL!!!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 07:51:29 AM by RipChord929 »
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"