Author Topic: Chuck Yeager was a HOer  (Read 11061 times)

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
Chuck Yeager was a HOer
« on: September 17, 2009, 09:25:13 AM »
just read here:

Chuck Yeager: I was in a dog-fight with three 190s, and I got hit head-on with a 20 mm cannon, and the prop came off the airplane, part of the wing, the canopy, and it caught on fire. So me and the airplane parted company. That's the way it happens. You bail out, you free fall in your parachute, and then when you get down to within three or four thousand feet of the ground, you pull the ripcord, the parachute pops and you land. That's about the way it happens. I picked up a few wounds. I had a couple slugs in one of my legs. I had some 20 mm fragments in my hands and a couple cuts on my head, but they were minor. So it didn't make much difference. ............

http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/yea0int-4

i say, in RL 1 vs 3 a HO happend, now ask yourself: is he a bad pilot?

intresting part is, HE didnt complains about it, because HE know it was war, and at war there is no poor gameplay, its alive or dead!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 09:30:38 AM by dhyran »

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Re: Chuck Yeager was a HOer
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 09:27:24 AM »
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 09:40:19 AM »
all i wants to point on, stop complaining, learn to fly, life with HOs Ganging, pickers and much more!!!

Did Chuck Yearger complains he was shot down by 3 190, did he talk about ganging there?  ;)

Guys, learn to deal with you own faults! respect the defeat! when someone shoot me down, the first thing i do is asking myself, what went wrong, where was my fist wrong decission

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 09:43:35 AM »
Actually he was HO'd. He was maneuvering with three enemy birds you know.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 09:46:30 AM »
Actually he was HO'd. He was maneuvering with three enemy birds you know.

so one gets hoed, the other not, please explain it! physicly not possible, a HO mean BOTH have the ability to shoot........
most important thing, he was not complaining about it like we have to read it here each Day
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 09:58:45 AM by dhyran »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 09:50:25 AM »
You can rest assured he did not intend to come head  on into those canons. He was maneuvering. Doen not mean he was flying 1000 yards straight at the 190.

I still think folks miss the idea of no HOs in the game. You cheat yourself by not actually fighting. When you actually fight you can improve.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
so one gets hoed, the other not, please explain it! physicly not possible, a HO mean BOTH have the ability to shoot........
The enemy was at a high or low 12 o'clock position...Yeager probably didn't have a firing solution so he didn't waste his ammo.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 10:07:22 AM »
As I said.  The second we start playing AH with only one life and then we're done playing forever, I'll accept all this historical stuff as justification for risking it in the game.

But as we don't die, or become POWs, there is no risk, so taking a HO shot is just the lazy way of playing.  Again if you want to HO, you go right ahead.  Will I be impressed by it?  Nope.  Does it matter what I think?  Probably not.  Will I complain about it on 200?  Nope.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 10:09:41 AM »
The enemy was at a high or low 12 o'clock position...Yeager probably didn't have a firing solution so he didn't waste his ammo.

where he says that? he was talking about a HO, if he hadn't a Chance to shoot, it was NOT a HO!

the definition of a HO is: both run head to head into each other, BOTH have a shooting solution!

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 10:14:22 AM »
As I said.  The second we start playing AH with only one life and then we're done playing forever, I'll accept all this historical stuff as justification for risking it in the game.

But as we don't die, or become POWs, there is no risk, so taking a HO shot is just the lazy way of playing.  Again if you want to HO, you go right ahead.  Will I be impressed by it?  Nope.  Does it matter what I think?  Probably not.  Will I complain about it on 200?  Nope.

absolutly my way to deal with it, i simply roll out the incoming con with a defensive barrel, it works 99 out of 100 times, so i can life the 1% failure at my side  ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 10:16:44 AM by dhyran »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 10:16:24 AM »
absolutly my way to deal with it, i simply roll out the incoming con with a defensive barrel, it works 99 out of 100 times, so i can life teh 1% failure at my side  ;)

Now put yourself in Yeager's boots.....

You roll from that one into another.. you roll from that one into another..... that one shoots before you can roll.... Did you HO?
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 10:19:18 AM »
Now put yourself in Yeager's boots.....

You roll from that one into another.. you roll from that one into another..... that one shoots before you can roll.... Did you HO?

hehe,

The key to a defensive barrel roll is to have some vertical and horizontal movement in respect to your attacker. This is done by adding a LITTLE back pressure (pull on stick) as you roll. An aileron roll is easy to hit since the fuselage of your airplane stays in roughly in the same place. With the added vertical and horizontal movement the attacker must accurately roll and pitch his airplane with yours constantly calculating the appropriate lead angle and firing, this is VERY hard to do for the attacker. Dont keep the exact same roll going. Change it up with varying the roll rate, back pressure and even change the roll direction back and forth. You can even change your stick pressure as you roll from back pressure to forward pressure with a roll. This produces a very weird kind of roll, real tough to hit!
Doing so, rolling 'around' him, i have no shooting solution - > so i dont HO!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 10:21:05 AM by dhyran »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 10:40:06 AM »
BUT he had three attackers... you roll from one into another.... he fires you do not. You did not HO. You were maneuvering.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 10:42:36 AM »
where he says that? he was talking about a HO, if he hadn't a Chance to shoot, it was NOT a HO!

the definition of a HO is: both run head to head into each other, BOTH have a shooting solution!
Well mr intellectual...reading comprehension not your strong suit?...it says he GOT HIT HEAD ON, nothing about he was flying straight at an enemy blazing away...so by your intelligent definition, Yeager was not a HO'er and therefore you OP stating he was a HO'er is dead wrong.

Go figure.

You should have stayed awake in school.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 10:44:47 AM »
I don't belive English is dhryan's first language...he does pretty good IMO.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B