Author Topic: Vox is clipping/cutting out  (Read 1019 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Vox is clipping/cutting out
« on: September 18, 2009, 11:06:53 AM »
I've been having a problem with my vox and cant seem to solve it!

In game it sounds like the mic is clipping or cutting out,I've tried adjusting mic,new sound card,different headset,front panel/back panel conections,etc.

It seems to work in other programs,skype,teamspeak,etc but for the life of me I cant get it working right ingame.

I use Vista64,soundblaster sound card Xfi,plantronics headset. I'm not sure what I've overlooked but I could use some help/advice...

TIA
   :salute

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Vox is clipping/cutting out
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 02:24:14 AM »
do you try another mike?  I keep swithcing them because one will develop problems that fix themselves over time.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 03:43:30 PM »
Try backing up AH, then delete the original AH, reinstall AH and see if that works.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 05:07:41 PM »
Not sure if it will help, but before you try deleting and reinstalling, go to your AH2/Settings folder.  Rename ahvoc.cfg and then try running the game.  You will then probably have to set your voice prefs again...

FYI, here's my ahvoc.cfg contents:
0,UseWaveIn
0,RangeChannelBeeps
0,TuneChannelBeeps
1.00,MicVolume
1.00,SpeakerVolume
0.18,EfffectVolume
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 08:28:43 PM »
Try backing up AH, then delete the original AH, reinstall AH and see if that works.

you dont have to delete the whole game. besides backing it up saves the problem he is having due to you are saving the files that the bug is in.

i would go with trying to use a diffrent mic first and let us know how that works for you
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 08:58:32 PM »
I think it is the positioning of your mic and that ah seems to boost mic settings  . I have noticed  that what sounds good in windows seldom sounds good in game . What I have done is setup my mic so it is just audible in windows ,no more than that . Note the position of your mic ,make sure you have the same general positioning . If you are still cutting out lower the mic settings in windows . When I got new pc I had this problem bad . This has worked for me .

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 01:17:51 PM »
Thanks guys,tried Hlbly's idea and it works somewhat better!

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 03:00:27 PM »
Thanks guys,tried Hlbly's idea and it works somewhat better!

if that worked then it makes me want to ask do you have mic boost turned on in advance settings on windows and in the game
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 03:50:52 PM »
Killz,

what I did was,set lowest recording level{16 bit} lowered mic level to 10%, enabled boost and that seemed to do the trick.Is it perfect? no but the clipping is gone for the most part.

Vista doesnt have a hardware acceleration so I wasnt able to lower it,so I checked my sound card and it was set to 24bit sound at studio quality,I lowered that to 16bit cd quality,it's lowest setting and tried that.I still was getting clipping so I tried Hlbly's idea and lowered the mic to around 10% this seemed to reduce the clipping and allows me to say more that 1 word....

Anyone experencing vista vox woes might try this and see if it helps!

Again thx to all the helped.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 03:53:10 PM by morfiend »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 07:58:59 PM »
The problem is the sound card. Vista works best with better sound cards like the HT Omega Striker 7.1 whereas the XFi (even the best one) will introduce anomalies and in the worse case terrible stutters (the low end XFi is really 16-bit and depends heavily on the CPU). I dont believe it will be much different under Win7.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 09:04:46 PM »
Is your plantronics headset a USB version?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 09:11:01 PM by Kermit de frog »
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 12:44:18 AM »
Kermit,

No it's a basic analog set,plugs direct to sound card.

Chalenge,

It's an older Xfi gamer extreme,I had in an old machine.I put it into my new computer because I was having vox issues while using onboard sound.

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 03:24:41 AM »
Morfiend,

I used to be/am an audio nut. Clipping can occur in a number of places - in each case it occurs because you exceed the volume limit of whatever part you are "driving".

Signal chain roughly:
Mic -> Sound card -> Windows -> AH Program -> AH Output

From what you've said, everything is fine up to Windows. Then something happens around Windows->AH Program -> AH output. In light of this, hlbly's suggestions seem to be the most reasonable fix. Mess with the AH program's settings to determine if it's AH Program -> AH Output. Likewise, mess with Windows settings to see if it's Windows->AH program. When you find out which it is, just lower the volume before the component which clips and boost it after that same component.

Bit rate: I've had problems with sound cards trying to convert back and forth between 16 and 24 bit. If you honestly don't know/can't tell the difference, stick with 16 bit for everything - it's less resource intensive (though this should hardly be an issue) and more straightforward.

Small primer: bit rate defines the "noise floor". The higher the bit rate, the lower the noise floor and therefore the bigger the difference in volume from the loudest possible sound and the quietest possible sound.
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 08:22:57 AM »
Vista

my apologies i did not see you where using vista I DONT KNOW JACK ABOUT VISTA
Former LTARkilz

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 11:35:40 AM »
It sounds like you've pretty much gotten yourself up and running again, but one other thing to try is using "Wave Out" from inside the AH2 voice prefs.  Sometimes that helps when people have transmission problems.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals