Author Topic: spamming  (Read 3917 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: spamming
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2009, 11:03:53 AM »
Some I just don't understand. Like I said earlier I have no problem with it. Maybe they could put a check box in setup to ignore Scenario Announcements or something.

Folks can check it to turn off or leave it in the default (default should be announcements on).
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2009, 12:22:16 PM »
Some I just don't understand. Like I said earlier I have no problem with it. Maybe they could put a check box in setup to ignore Scenario Announcements or something.

Folks can check it to turn off or leave it in the default (default should be announcements on).

The OP and many others would agree and enjoy this to be implemented.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2009, 12:16:43 PM »
The OP and many others would agree and enjoy this to be implemented.   

Sounds like a good solution. I bailed out of perfectly flying planes on occasion to join an event, and personally enjoy the announcements and understand their frequency.
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF
http://dywizjon308.servegame.org

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept my faith"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2009, 01:31:33 PM »
I guess I should clarify my stance a little better.  

I know when FSOs, Scenarios, Snapshots and KOTHs are and what days they fall on.   MOST everyone who has at least 6 months into this game KNOW the same thing.   Of course, a minority of the players don't (as to be expected), but at the rate that some of these messages fly across the screen, is showing at the minimum "desperation".  

I've assisted/sent people to events that I don't participate in.   I help people 99% of the time in this game, unless you cross me.   Quite a few players have done this and they're non-existent to me.   They can hide under their rocks, throw stones at opportune times and I'll watch from above while they twist and turn with a con on their 6.   You made your choice, live with it.   But I've been at this for over 7.5 years and still learn to this day.   I rarely squelch new folks, unless the questions are answered, but they still ask the same thing over and over.   Most do the the chickenchit Alt+F4 thing which shows their own lack of interest in helping.   I've helped MANY people in this game and don't give a damn about "credit".   I get that satisfaction in seeing what they've become or how they improved themselves over time and applaud them.  

WMLute, AKDogg and others know I don't participate in KOTH and they've been told why in the past.   I've never met Lute (have met Dogg) but aside from squaddies, Lute and SkyRock are the closest people to "friends" I have.   We can get pent up aggression at losing, but we KNOW it is strictly fierce competitiveness.  I've met SR and not a shocker, no issues, just a handshake to solidify the friendship.   Like those two, I mean what I say and say what I mean.  They're is no "backstabbing", no "hidden agenda", no "false front".  

Everyone in this game has faults, but most are too proud to own up to them.  I have just one:   I don't dance unless I hear music.   Two people who quoted my responses have proven this already in this thread.   I've NEVER said anything bad about SunBatt ever, to be honest.   I know, because if I did, I wouldn't be typing this.   I now ignore JG54 and still somehow get a few of them to chime in, unprovoked.  

Now, to my squadmate Bj229r's Original Post.   I was the one that pointed this out on squad vox on the nights I know of.   I tried squelching the CM until the Event started, unsuccessfully.   We were in a good capture attempt and the text buffer was flying by fast.   Yes, the messages were excessive and they were NOT even 10 minutes apart.   They were 5 minutes apart for 45 minutes, which come on, is excessive.   9 times?  5 lines per "message".  

If this happened again without me being on, as I've flown on 3 occasions in the last week and a half, then something needs to be addressed.

I might even have another solution.   If people are CM's, do NOT allow them to be squelched in the SEA's, but elsewhere, give us that power.  Because what happened on a couple of occasions WAS spam and needs to be addressed.

Sorry for the long post, but certain things needed to be addressed in a civil manner.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2009, 02:07:24 PM »
I guess I should clarify my stance a little better.  

I know when FSOs, Scenarios, Snapshots and KOTHs are and what days they fall on.   MOST everyone who has at least 6 months into this game KNOW the same thing.   Of course, a minority of the players don't (as to be expected), but at the rate that some of these messages fly across the screen, is showing at the minimum "desperation".  

I've assisted/sent people to events that I don't participate in.   I help people 99% of the time in this game, unless you cross me.   Quite a few players have done this and they're non-existent to me.   They can hide under their rocks, throw stones at opportune times and I'll watch from above while they twist and turn with a con on their 6.   You made your choice, live with it.   But I've been at this for over 7.5 years and still learn to this day.   I rarely squelch new folks, unless the questions are answered, but they still ask the same thing over and over.   Most do the the chickenchit Alt+F4 thing which shows their own lack of interest in helping.   I've helped MANY people in this game and don't give a damn about "credit".   I get that satisfaction in seeing what they've become or how they improved themselves over time and applaud them.  

WMLute, AKDogg and others know I don't participate in KOTH and they've been told why in the past.   I've never met Lute (have met Dogg) but aside from squaddies, Lute and SkyRock are the closest people to "friends" I have.   We can get pent up aggression at losing, but we KNOW it is strictly fierce competitiveness.  I've met SR and not a shocker, no issues, just a handshake to solidify the friendship.   Like those two, I mean what I say and say what I mean.  They're is no "backstabbing", no "hidden agenda", no "false front".  

Everyone in this game has faults, but most are too proud to own up to them.  I have just one:   I don't dance unless I hear music.   Two people who quoted my responses have proven this already in this thread.   I've NEVER said anything bad about SunBatt ever, to be honest.   I know, because if I did, I wouldn't be typing this.   I now ignore JG54 and still somehow get a few of them to chime in, unprovoked.  

Now, to my squadmate Bj229r's Original Post.   I was the one that pointed this out on squad vox on the nights I know of.   I tried squelching the CM until the Event started, unsuccessfully.   We were in a good capture attempt and the text buffer was flying by fast.   Yes, the messages were excessive and they were NOT even 10 minutes apart.   They were 5 minutes apart for 45 minutes, which come on, is excessive.   9 times?  5 lines per "message".  

If this happened again without me being on, as I've flown on 3 occasions in the last week and a half, then something needs to be addressed.

I might even have another solution.   If people are CM's, do NOT allow them to be squelched in the SEA's, but elsewhere, give us that power.  Because what happened on a couple of occasions WAS spam and needs to be addressed.

Sorry for the long post, but certain things needed to be addressed in a civil manner.

WTH??? You on coffee break  :P
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2009, 02:53:12 PM »
WTH??? You on coffee break  :P

No, just putting it all out there and explaining "who I am" and "why I have posted the way I have in this thread".   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2009, 03:32:43 PM »
No, just putting it all out there and explaining "who I am" and "why I have posted the way I have in this thread".   
OK sounds reasonable.... I'll post likewise so folks will know me too.....

I am Spartacus

I have posted in this thread to lead yall  all in victory
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2009, 05:46:33 PM »
I saw it one night.  It reminded me of a noob posting a mission...

EVENT STARTS IN 15 MINUTES
EVENT STARTS IN 14 MINUTES
EVENT STARTS IN 13 MINUTES
EVENT STARTS IN 12 MINUTES

Enough already!
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2009, 05:29:33 PM »
Last month I decided to give the Friday KOTH a go.  I asked a couple squaddies on-line if they wanted to fly the KOTH with me.  One squaddie, who had flown AH for 4+ years, mentioned he had never flown a KOTH before and wasn't sure he wanted to try it.

I got 'em to fly it and he absolutely loved it.  I imagine he'll fly every KOTH he can from here on out.

The announcements are for players who are new and are unaware of the events, AND for players that, while they might know about them, have never given them a try.

It is very much like a commercial and the CM is trying to entice players to give the event a try.

I know when I used to announce events I spent a lot of time describing the event as opposed to just saying it was about to start.

"King of the Hill is starting in 30 min in the Special Events Arena"
"King of the Hill is a last playing flying tourney"
"Everybody rolls the same plane and fights until one plane is left standing"
"The winner of that round picks a plane and the fight starts again"
"Have to win three rounds to win King of the Hill".

or...

"SnapShot starting in 30 min in the Special Events Arena"
"A SnapShot is a historical recreation of an actual WW2 battle"
"(Insert quick event description here)"

and so forth.

I would announce the event was starting, and then describe the event, and YES I was told by some players they were squelching me or to stop spamming the channel.

I would also add that event participation @ doubled when I announced like this.  SnapShots that used to have 20-30 players would have 60+.  (think my 'best' was @ 90 players) I ran many a Thur. SnapShot that had 40+ players in it which was unheard of.

I am a firm believer that just saying the event is about to start is not enough.  The CM should be able to describe the event so players new and old can decide if it is something they want to give a try or not.

I guess a happy middle ground would be for the CM to announce in the Lobby to ALL about the event time, then go to the individual arenas and describe the event on 200 for the players.  More legwork for the CM's but I believe that the CM should describe the event to help inform players about just what the event is.

Would it be possible to have the CM's create a quick, descriptive macro of the event, and be allowed to just .event 1 (i.e. 1 for snapshot, .event 2 for koth, .event 3 for FSO, etc, etc) in the lobby to have it flashed accross the arenas?

(my worthless 2 cents)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 05:40:31 PM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2009, 06:53:02 PM »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2009, 11:16:25 AM »
Is the announcement supposed to be a reminder or a solicitation?

Can the event be on the MOTD and the announcement just be 2 messages?

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2009, 11:39:18 AM »
i love spam.

i'm having spamspamspam eggs and spam

:noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2009, 11:52:25 AM »
Is the announcement supposed to be a reminder or a solicitation?

Can the event be on the MOTD and the announcement just be 2 messages?

A reminder. If we wish to advertise we will use different methods such as MOTD.

HiTech

Offline Corrs

• Silver Member
      • TAC Drivers
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2009, 01:59:04 PM »
did you know your eyes have elevators just like the planes in AH...just adjust the trim up a bit and your golden  :D

in other words...just don't look at it ya channel 200 loving freaks of the cartoon aviation world (said with nothing but love for ya)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 02:02:32 PM by Corrs »
Corrs
The Flying Circus
Head of The Flying Circus Numbnutz Clown Union since 2000
FSO 334th FS Corrs's Nose Art
WARNING: Keep smiley's out of reach of Corrs

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2009, 02:24:02 PM »
did you know your eyes have elevators just like the planes in AH...just adjust the trim up a bit and your golden  :D

in other words...just don't look at it ya channel 200 loving freaks of the cartoon aviation world (said with nothing but love for ya)

HEY!!

i resemble that remark!!

:rofl :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)