Author Topic: Updated ENY values for Planes  (Read 5837 times)

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Re: Updated ENY values for Planes
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2009, 01:11:51 AM »
you can always switch chess pieces.

Bingo!

They can put ENY at whatever they deem necessary, so long as you're willing to change countries it will never affect you.

(now they just have to put zone ENY into affect so you can't have 30+ guys attacking and undefended airfield)
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2009, 03:25:48 AM »
WEP always matter when your comparting against LW planes.  190's and 109's WEP last so long it is most often in use for the duration of the fight when at full throttle.

odd...

my flights tend to last longer than 10 min...
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2009, 03:30:59 AM »
odd...

my flights tend to last longer than 10 min...

He said "Fight" not "Flight"
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2009, 05:14:35 AM »
Imo a lot of the changes were for the better but there are still some inconsistencies:

109K4 should be Eny 15, G14 20
Ki84 shouldn't have moved up to 20. (15 is fine but I would have advocated 10 before 20)
Mossie moves from 25-30? Bizarre change there, I would have moved Mossie to 20-23 or left it alone.
P38L 15, P38J 20 now?  The planes are too similar for a 5 disparity, maybe P38L 18 at the lowest.
190D9 is still 15.  I think that one should have been moved down to 10.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 05:28:08 AM by grizz441 »

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2009, 06:44:20 AM »
He said "Fight" not "Flight"

oops.

my bad.

sarcastic retort retracted.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2009, 06:46:33 AM »
ENY is primarily based on that thing you dismiss as meaningless, usage.  We have argued about that before and I continue to think you undervalue it, no, I think you completely dismiss it.

<cough> Ta-152 <cough> Bump it to 15! :D

Otherwise I think it's clear that these ENY changes do reflect the use of aircraft.  Whether or not you agree with ENY based on popularity is a different matter.  I may not think it's the ideal approach, but I'm still happy to see some kind of attention and system being applied to ENY value assignment.

---------

Edit: As for the 190D-9, three factors affect it negatively that aren't getting enough attention: 1) Its short range usually requires the use of a drop tank, which degrades its top speed by about 5mph. 2) Its weapon ballistics and inferior over-the-nose view make aiming more difficult than the P-51D. 3) It hates AoA.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 06:52:30 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2009, 07:27:45 AM »
If 90% of the arena chose to flew the P-51D, it would not adversely effect anyone who chose to fly almost *anything* else...because 95% of the plane set stands an even or better chance in a dogfight with the Pony with equally skilled pilots.

Doesn't 75% of the LW arenas already fly the 51D??

And maybe 95% of the plane set WOULD stand an even or better chance in a (choke) dogfight with a punkstang if they could only find more than a handful of guys who will actually "fight" in it.

I wish they would have perked the damn "locust" plane!
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2009, 07:39:56 AM »
Doesn't 75% of the LW arenas already fly the 51D??

No.
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2009, 07:56:16 AM »
I'm baffled at the LA-7 changes.  For real...the plane's a monster, and should be perked, not raised in ENY...
i agree 100%
I think that was a mistake.
The niki as well. It will be used more now in the NOE hordeling base caps
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline groundfeeder

• Copper Member
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2009, 08:12:03 AM »
Hey i love the new setup......as a rook we are used to eny in the 10 to 20 range this will help us rule the world a little faster!! :aok

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2009, 08:22:30 AM »
Perhaps they considered more things than just speed, t/w and turning ability.  Possibly range, ord carrying capability and other factors played into the decision.

Maneuverability and t/w are the two factors that play the most part in winning fights. Speed is good to have as well, but it doesn't win fights so much as allow one to choose fights. The factors of roll rate and lethality come somewhere below these factors, but note, the P-51D doesn't shine here either.

"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2009, 08:25:14 AM »
ENY is primarily based on that thing you dismiss as meaningless, usage.  We have argued about that before and I continue to think you undervalue it, no, I think you completely dismiss it.

That is because basing ENY values on whatever the History channel has been hyping lately is in fact meaningless, useless.

Though the changed ENYs are apparently not based on some esoteric combination of usage and k/d, else it would be hard to explain the rise in the ENY of La7, N1K, or even P-47N for that matter.

BTW Karnak, recently had a chance to read "Startide Rising", "Sundiver" and the "Uplift War" as well. Brin write anymore in that series?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 08:55:38 AM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2009, 08:27:56 AM »
i agree 100%
I think that was a mistake.
The niki as well. It will be used more now in the NOE hordeling base caps

I've actually got to agree with the N1K change. For all its firepower, it is a 325mph airplane in the LW arena. No one likes being vulched or HO'ed, but that can be done with any airplane. You can't regulate the tactics players choose to use through the ENY system.

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2009, 08:35:45 AM »
Maneuverability and t/w are the two factors that play the most part in winning fights. Speed is good to have as well, but it doesn't win fights so much as allow one to choose fights. The factors of roll rate and lethality come somewhere below these factors, but note, the P-51D doesn't shine here either.

Your line of argument is inline with why the spit 16 is ENY 5.
The Pony is just an all around darn good freaking airplane. You have indicated it doesn't particularly shine is one area (i disagree here btw, how about e retention or dive) but is better then average in most.
Well, that's the same story for the spit 16, and its ENY is 5.
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF
http://dywizjon308.servegame.org

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept my faith"

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2009, 08:43:42 AM »
The Pony is just an all around darn good freaking airplane. You have indicated it doesn't particularly shine is one area (i disagree here btw, how about e retention or dive) but is better then average in most.
Well, that's the same story for the spit 16, and its ENY is 5.

This is just not factual.

The only worse-turning family of airplanes are the 190s.

Its climb rate is below average for late-war.

Its gun package is the definition of middle of the road, and it has less ammo duration with its .50s than its fellows, the Corsair,
Jug, and P-38.

But you are correct it can dive to the deck and run away rather well. As long as no La7s, D9s, or Typhoons are around. All hail the all conquering Pony!..wait... :rolleyes:

It is not a good analog for the SpitXVI...the XVI is excellent in every mark *except* top speed, where it is merely mediocre. The Pony by contrast is excellent in top speed and poor to mediocre everywhere else. A better analog for the SpitXVI would be the D9, which is good to excellent everywhere *except* turning ability. Yet it's ENY remains at 15...bizarre.