Author Topic: P47M Fire Bug?  (Read 715 times)

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
P47M Fire Bug?
« on: October 11, 2009, 06:43:33 PM »
Please have a look at this film: P47M Fire Bug?

It seems to me and others that possibly the P47M burns longer than it should. Fire begins at 1:50.

Thanks for your time.
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
Re: P47M Fire Bug?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 01:39:52 PM »
I have (2) two concerns that bug me about the fuel fires or fuel leaks in this game.

1. The US planes claim to fame was having self sealing fuel tanks and armor plating around the pilots. The bladder tanks shrink to contain the liquid fuel only and limited or no air, reducing the chance of a fire from the gas vapor. These bladder tanks obviously weigh more than non-self sealing tanks, therefore, making a plane heaver and less maneuverable. The planes without self sealing tanks caught fire very easily because the gas vapor inside the tank would ignite from one round. I saw a demonstration on the History Channel the other day. I think it was about the Midway invasion. The demonstration included a 5 gallon plastic water gallon bottle with a couple of liters of gas. I believe a .30 cal round (non-incendiary) was fired through the bottle. The fuel and vapor in the bottle immediately burst into flames (no large explosion). I also caught another episode about a historic dogfight over Y-29, an allied air base in WWII. The Germans attempted to strafe a US airfield (Y-29), but were intercepted by a jug mission. One of the jugs’ wings received a few German rounds and caught fire. The fire extinguished itself (probably ran out of fuel) without seriously damaging the aircraft. The jug pilot then continued to shoot down enemy fighters after the fire flamed out.

I know for fact that HTC is modeling the extra weight for the self sealing tanks and armor, but is HTC allowing planes with self sealing tanks and armor to take more hits?

There have been many times that I attacked a field with a F4U and take one and only one hit in the main fuel tank. Not good considering most of the F4U’s have only one internal tank.

2. I am wondering if an EMPTY self sealing tank could cause a catastrophic fire as often as in the game? I could see a tank inside the fuselage (with a bit of unused fuel) igniting a deadly fire inside the cockpit and seriously burning the pilot. An EMPTY wing tank, however, may be less likely to cause major damage, especially to an all metal wing. Any hits to a non-self sealing tank could cause a fire most of the time.

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 07:26:25 PM »
A new host was installed today to fix some issues related to damage.  The most notable issue fixed was that some fires on some planes(notably the P-47M) would not result in death or catastrophic damage.

An older issue that was found and fixed was that certain planes would explode if you didn't immediately exit after ditching.

We audited all planes and fixed numerous small fuel and fire damage mapping errors.

We also fixed an error where fuel leaks continued to be displayed even though it had been ignited into a fire.  The fire would obscure the fuel leak but this caused us to inefficiently draw more sprites than needed. 

-Pyro

Thanks Guys
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 12:42:21 AM »
I just got done fighting a 47N, lit him on fire and played with him for a good minute before he eventually just bailed.  Plane never blew and hit the water intact.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 12:56:08 AM »
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 01:48:27 PM »
Where do I need to fast forward to in the film?  When was the film taken?

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 03:15:15 PM »
Where do I need to fast forward to in the film?  When was the film taken?

I light him on fire at 9:15 and he bails at 10:53, taken yesterday

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 03:35:51 PM »
Before this turns into a big discussion, remember they are bringing out a new damage model soon.  I don't know if that was just for WWI for now but I'm sure we'll see it in WWII within a few months.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 04:30:06 PM »
I light him on fire at 9:15 and he bails at 10:53, taken yesterday

Thanks for the info.