Author Topic: Manual Trim Control  (Read 2100 times)

Offline SWrokit

• Nickel Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com/index.php
Manual Trim Control
« on: October 15, 2009, 09:06:38 AM »
Pros & Cons?

Trying to find some information regarding trim control.  What it does, why it does, if indeed there is any benefit at all in using trim (other than auto).

Have been looking at new joysticks (still undecided on that one lol) and was reading about one that has duel throttles, which doesn't much impress me since I use the CH throttle.  However, in the description narrative it stated the throttle could also be used as trim control.  WTF!!  I have a throttle now that I don't use on my current stick, never gave it a thought.  I also have an unused mini joystick on my CH throttle I don't use.

I guess the point of my post is I'm looking for input regarding trim control.  Reference to any reading materials, and how to set up my controls for it.  (That is....if it's even worth doing  :D)

Thanks for the advice.

<S>
Rokit
SWrokit; CO~125th Spartans

RIP.......SWfire, SWmac, GMC, SWonyx

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Manual Trim Control
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 09:31:43 AM »
You will find a quite extensive article about manual & combat trim on the Aces High Trainer Corps webpage (under "learning to fly")
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 09:34:19 AM »
Rokit, depends on the plane as to where manual trim will benefit.  Some really love it.  Go off line and do some hi speed dives using manual trim with your E6B open.  Try it with several planes.  You'll soon see some amazing things.

Offline Wreked

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 12:25:11 PM »
Many a dive in a compressed 109 has been saved from "face planting" by hammering on the the Elevator ManTrim key "K" - better still if you can map it to a wheel/throttle. As stated it depends on the dive compression aspects of the individual plane.

well worth the investigation for that single point alone.

...cheers eh! :D
HO is a HO is a HO!!
You can lead a donkey to a FACT - you just can't make them think!

cheers eh!!

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 12:46:11 PM »
I've got aileron and elevator trim mapped to one of the 4-way hats (the "rook") on my CH throttle.  I rarely use rudder trim, so just use the keyboard if I feel the need for it.  I've noticed that combat trim doesn't always compensate for certain situations, like very high or very low speeds, WEP, asymmetrical external stores (dropping left wing bomb/tank but right wing bomb/tank still attached), etc.  I use manual trim in those situations to negate the slight roll away from level flight.  I also use manual trim during landings or any other time I want to deploy the flaps.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline SWrokit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 12:57:07 PM »
Lusche definitely a good read Bro, thanks.

I can already see the benefits of having trim buttons at your disposal.  Everything from diving to turn fighting.  I can also see where these functions would be of help with "Stall Limiter" disabled (FINALLY).  So far from what I've read, the "Trim Up" function is what needs to be programmed in, and that "Auto Trim" cancells it out when engaged.

Been playing AH for 7-8 years, AW before that.  Time to take the training wheels off  :D.  I'll get this setup this weekend and hit the TA................... :airplane:

I've got aileron and elevator trim mapped to one of the 4-way hats (the "rook") on my CH throttle.  I rarely use rudder trim, so just use the keyboard if I feel the need for it.  I've noticed that combat trim doesn't always compensate for certain situations, like very high or very low speeds, WEP, asymmetrical external stores (dropping left wing bomb/tank but right wing bomb/tank still attached), etc.  I use manual trim in those situations to negate the slight roll away from level flight.  I also use manual trim during landings or any other time I want to deploy the flaps.

Hadn't even given that a thought.  But your right, especially when your carrying 1000 lbers.  Drop one and you begin to roll towards heavy side.  I've always compensated with joystick.  And I do have an empty 4 way on my throttle..........thanks.

Thank's Gents for the assist & help.

Salute
Rokit

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 01:10:49 PM »
Many a dive in a compressed 109 has been saved from "face planting" by hammering on the the Elevator ManTrim key "K" - better still if you can map it to a wheel/throttle. As stated it depends on the dive compression aspects of the individual plane.

well worth the investigation for that single point alone.

...cheers eh! :D

Down trim is handy too for those planes that like to nose up in a higher speed dive like the Spits, Bostons, etc.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 01:13:16 PM »
One thing to remember is do not buy into the AH urban myth that using manual trim will somehow make your plane turn tighter.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SWrokit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 02:15:19 PM »
One thing to remember is do not buy into the AH urban myth that using manual trim will somehow make your plane turn tighter.

ack-ack

CC on that Ack.  I know disabling the "Stall Limiter" will enhance the turn ratio a little, and my thought (based on absolutely nothing lol) is ........when in a tight turn, and little up trim may assist in preventing stall out.  Again this is based on nothing.  Everytime I've disabled stall limit I've totally crashed and burned  :lol

<S>
Rokit

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 03:16:57 PM »
Just my humble opinion but you need too learn to fly to the edge and a little beyond without the stall limiter before you start worrying about manual trim.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 03:43:08 PM »
Everytime I've disabled stall limit I've totally crashed and burned  :lol

Don't think there's anyone here who can't say the same thing there Rokit.  You just have to stick with it for a few weeks to get used to it.  Took me at least 2 tries to finally force myself to keep the stall limiter off.   Saw a big difference after that, my only regret is that i didn't do it sooner.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 04:42:37 PM »

ack-ack

yes it does.

and the 38L has dive brakes.  :noid :bolt:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 04:44:36 PM »
CC on that Ack.  I know disabling the "Stall Limiter" will enhance the turn ratio a little, and my thought (based on absolutely nothing lol) is ........when in a tight turn, and little up trim may assist in preventing stall out.  Again this is based on nothing.  Everytime I've disabled stall limit I've totally crashed and burned  :lol

<S>
Rokit

rokit.....

turn off the stall limiter, and fly that way in fights for a little bit. you'll learn to love it. you'll find yourself riding the buzzer more often, and also learning to keep her from stalling to begin with. when she does stall, the recovery can be tricky, but it will enhance your fun, and fighting too.

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 05:09:34 PM »
People who scale their sticks and trim up for turns are in effect moving the "more scaled" area of stick movement to a higher AOA. This makes it easier to stay at max AOA without going too far and losing lift. So trimming up makes tight turns easier. It won't make the perfect turn any tighter, but it could help make a good turn better.

Offline Wreked

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 06:03:38 PM »
"How I Turned Stall Limiter Off and Learned to Love the Stall Horn as a Way of Life!!"

...showing at a theatre near you soon eh! :D
HO is a HO is a HO!!
You can lead a donkey to a FACT - you just can't make them think!

cheers eh!!