Author Topic: Possible ways to keep WW1 arena busy  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Clone155

• Silver Member
Possible ways to keep WW1 arena busy
« on: October 20, 2009, 07:14:55 PM »
A lot of people are saying that the WW1 arena will be just like the EW arena, but I think I have some solutions to that problem.

First off make that arena THE ONLY ARENA you can fly a WW1 plane, and no WW2 planes in that arena. Infact I bet if you did this to the EW plane set I bet it would help there too.

Second is don't make the arena gamey. No scores, no base takes, no climbing above W/E the plane's operational height was, and give the fields SUPER ack to prevent vulching.

Think these will work?

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
Re: Possible ways to keep WW1 arena busy
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 07:18:28 PM »

You can only fly EW planes in EW. Done
There will be no field at in WW1 arena.
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 07:23:01 PM »
First off make that arena THE ONLY ARENA you can fly a WW1 plane, and no WW2 planes in that arena.

I don't think you will have to worry about that. It's a given, as these two eras are 20+ years apart.

Infact I bet if you did this to the EW plane set I bet it would help there too.

I bet not. Planeset is only a part of EW's problems

Second is don't make the arena gamey. No scores, no base takes, no climbing above W/E the plane's operational height was, and give the fields SUPER ack to prevent vulching.

It was already stated that this will be more like a furball arena with fields at very close distances. And as there are only fighters, the probability of having any kind of "captures" is quite small.

If "no scores"  means "no ranks" - I can live with that without problems. But if "no scores" really means no scores at all - no stats like hit%, K/D etc, I doubt I would fly there much.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 07:27:46 PM »
The reason the EW areana is dead is because the only poeple in there are tools. When people go there who want to actually FIND other planes to fight the tools change country or just log off. It has nothing to do with the plane set.

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 07:29:53 PM »
I think that more people (not gonna say who) fly in EW because of the tactics they use and how gamey they are.

People dont fly in there alot because it is all the same--Horde-->Take-->Horde-->Take-->Get killed once-->Leave or switch sides.

Most of the people who play in there alot wouldnt stand a chance in the LW arena's with thier tactics for taking bases and having "fun".

People fly EW planes in the LW all the time, so i dont see how the plane set really doesnt have that much to do with itexcept for the fact that there would be fewer people willing to fly EW planes in EW so...
Strokes

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 07:30:01 PM »
Keep in mind, HTC is planning to release a new/old(redesigned) strat system within the coming two weeks. This may or may not have an impact on base captures and the way they are done, but just keep it in mind...
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 07:30:10 PM »
When the WW1 areana does begin it will be those who realllly like aerial combat. NOT those who just want to play WAR that go there.

I guess we will find out just how many people who play this game actually like to dog fight.

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 07:30:42 PM »
Dam! Agent beat me to it!
The reason the EW areana is dead is because the only poeple in there are tools. When people go there who want to actually FIND other planes to fight the tools change country or just log off. It has nothing to do with the plane set.

Strokes

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 07:31:37 PM »

I would only agree partially. I think for the most part they are just what is left in EW. Yes, they (and the behaviour you mentioned) did drive many away, but the huge exodus started even earlier for more than just one simple reason.

What I found being particularly ironic us that splitting the score (as much as I do like it) did actually hurt numbers too ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 07:34:38 PM »
I would only agree partially. I think for the most part they are just what is left in EW. Yes, they (and the behaviour you mentioned) did drive many away, but the huge exodus started even earlier for more than just one simple reason.

True enuf.  But I think the biggest reason that EW and MW are underpopulated is that, due to public outcry, HTC enabled all planes in the LW arenas.

- oldman (shouldn't have the same problem with WWI at all)

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 07:40:30 PM »
True enuf.  But I think the biggest reason that EW and MW are underpopulated is that, due to public outcry, HTC enabled all planes in the LW arenas.

- oldman (shouldn't have the same problem with WWI at all)

I fly mostly MW planes so going to MW isnt really a big step at all.

But what i do have a problem with is the #'s, dont get me wrong i dont like to be horded by Spit16s, La7s, and 51Ds but i do like a fight where there is alot of targets of opportunity.
Strokes

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 07:47:29 PM »
Hordes of spit16, 51s and La7s smell like noobs, and taste like chicken. :)
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 07:49:28 PM »
Problem with EW...free hurri 2c... there i said it.
See Rule #4

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 10:17:15 PM »
The reason I don't fly LW arena is because the only people in there are tools.  See, I can make the same uneducated generalization about your arena, and it sounds just as stupid.  True, there are 'tards in EW who don't want to fight and go out of their way to avoid one.

I think that more people (not gonna say who) fly in EW because of the tactics they use and how gamey they are.

People dont fly in there alot because it is all the same--Horde-->Take-->Horde-->Take-->Get killed once-->Leave or switch sides.
Hmm, that's why I don't fly in LW: Horde-->Pick-->Horde-->Vulch...
Don't throw stones in your glass house...most of the posts on the BBS are from LW people and I see complaints about lame gameplay every day.

Most of the people who play in there alot wouldnt stand a chance in the LW arena's with thier tactics for taking bases and having "fun".
Believe it or not, there are people who just prefer the slower, under-powered equipment of that era.  It has nothing to do with skill - just because some prefer EW doesn't mean they lack the skills needed to be successful at aerial combat.  Also take into account that different equipment requires modified application of tactics, be it in the air or on the ground.

Enough hijacking this thread...I think it's a good thing that HTC is working on a WWI arena and I will spend much time there.  For me, this game is all about the fight, and it sounds like that's what the arena will be set up to accomplish.  :salute
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »
A lot of people are saying that the WW1 arena will be just like the EW arena, but I think I have some solutions to that problem.

First off make that arena THE ONLY ARENA you can fly a WW1 plane, and no WW2 planes in that arena. Infact I bet if you did this to the EW plane set I bet it would help there too.

Think these will work?

aaww dam!!

i cain't take my p38 o doom to the ww1 arena? :airplane: :headscratch:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)